Peugeot 1982 bottle dynamo

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
PAB855

Peugeot 1982 bottle dynamo

Post by PAB855 »

Can anyone identify the make and model of a bottle dynamo for a Peugeot urban/hybrid bike made in1982. The front and rear lights are mounted on the aluminium mudguards with a single wire from each to the position of the dynamo. The rear seat stay on the LHS has two small plates or shoes brazed on to it. The upper one which is against the inside of the seat stay looks as if it's for taking the free end of a torsion spring. The other just below it and mounted across the back edge of the LHS seat stay looks as if it is for housing a small flat plate. This plate would be part of the support for the dynamo body. Three of the sides of the lower chainstay shoe are slightly raised and the fourth edge is flat with a small threaded hole. I'm guessing the dynamo is located in this shoe and screwed into place. A torsion spring from it is forced behind the seat stay to be located within the inner plate above. One edge of this plate has had the paint removed by presumably the rubbing of the free end of the spring as it is being forced into place.

A lot of the above is guesswork.

Further clues are some lettering and numbers on the front light lens which were difficult to read so I could be wrong.

SOURITEZ K10714 CHI 1202 . Sorry I haven't been able to get a photo yet.

Aidez moi s'il te plais!!!!!
gaz

Re: Peugeot 1982 bottle dynamo

Post by gaz »

PAB855 wrote:SOURITEZ K10714 CHI 1202

Brand will be "Soubitez". A "K" number is often a reference to German lighting regulations.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

the wiring is 'earth return' wiring, ie. the circuit is completed by the current running back through the metal parts of the bike. Works OK provided there is not too much paint/rust where the parts contact one another.... :wink:

BTW holes may be for running the wires inside the frame.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
PAB855

Post by PAB855 »

Thanks guys. There's plenty SOUBITEZ information and eBay stuff,but nothing which appears to suit the frame mounts I described.

Your reference to the earth return is correct Brucey, in fact the attention to detail to carry a very thin electric cable no thicker than a brake cable from the lamps via the underside of the mudguards and under the downtube has impressed me no end. The rear mudguard's rolled edge on one side carries the rear light cable all the way from the rear light right round to the bridge piece behind the bottom bracket. The front light cablè reaches the bottom bracket via the underside of the downtube and runs through a series of tiny fully bridging brackets/clips with only the top one being open on one side as a safety feature to allow for the front forks being swivelled. I am very impressed by Peugeot's attention to detail. I must look to see how the paired cables are routed to the dynamo. Something to look forward to!

In fact I'm very impressed with the whole bike.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

when there are braze-on boss mounts on the inside of a seatstay there is usually a bracket that then accepts a standard (usually LH) dynamo. There are various ones eg this

which fits Thorns and some Dawes. Years ago Raleigh used a similar mount but instead of two screws through the bracket it had a single screw and a tang that went into a hole in the frame.

If you want a Soubitez bottle dynamo I think I have one somewhere.

cheers
gaz

Post by gaz »

PAB855 wrote:The rear seat stay on the LHS has two small plates or shoes brazed on to it. ...

A picture speaks a thousand words. Imagine what a few pictures might tell us.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
PAB855

Post by PAB855 »

Thanks again both Brucey and gaz.
Brucey, thanks, but don't go raking yet, I have a French connection!! through my brother in law, so it's a possible solution.
gaz, you are absolutely correct, I must get a pic or two organised, sorry

Cheers
PAB855

Post by PAB855 »

Pic attached.
Cheers. Hope this helps
Attachments
20180328_155216_resized.jpg
backnotes

Post by backnotes »

The bracket says Trelock on it? Trelock do make battery lights, but they also make locks that fit to the rear seat stays and lock the rear wheel with a bar. I suspect that you may be looking at the fittings that once fitted a Trelock lock to the frame rather than anything to do with a bottle dynamo? I am sure that a spring may have been involved in getting the bar to flick into or out of the wheel.

It may be a dynamo bracket, and I'm sure you could usefully bodge a bottle dynamo onto it if it is firmly mounted onto the frame, though it seems 90 degrees out from the most useful orientation. Anyway, have a look at pictures of Trelock rear wheel locks and see if those make any more sense!

Also, if the rear light cable routes round the edge of the mudguard as far as the bottom bracket, that may suggest that the bottle dynamo was originally on the front forks, as that would be a long way round the houses from a dynamo mounted on the rear seat stay? Or if all roads lead to the bottom bracket, maybe it once had one of those Sanyo dynamos that mount near the bottom bracket and have a roller onto the running surface of the tyre rather than the sidewall.

Anyway, all guesswork, so I may be wrong on all counts!
backnotes

Post by backnotes »

PS apparently Soubitez also made a bottom bracket generator - see viewtopic.php?t=43527 so that's my best guess given the front light!
Last edited by backnotes on 28 Mar 2018, 7:03pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

I agree that looks like a wheel lock bracket. There may also be fittings for a dynamo; what is the braze-on to the inside of the seat stays?

BTW somewhere online there is an archive of old Peugeot catalogues. It might help to look in there.

cheers
backnotes

Post by backnotes »

It's a mount for a Trelock Automat lock - see about 15 pictures down here http://twocitiestwowheels.blogspot.co.u ... eiten.html for a picture of a bracket like yours with the lock mounted on it.
PAB855

Post by PAB855 »

Not confident this shows inside plate
Attachments
20180328_155216_resized.jpg
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

not really!
PAB855

Post by PAB855 »

Sorry about that, it's not the pic I wanted.
Anyway, many thanks to all the most recent replies, you have cracked it, but as Brucey asks, what about the inside plate. That's what I was trying to show, but that hasn't worked.
However, looking closely at this pic, you can see how long it is ( the top edge is just visible) and that both long sides are formed up and over to produce a narrow lip down each long edge. Both top and bottom ends are open. This plate is no widerr than the seat stay.
What isn't shown on this pic is that there is paint removed from the upper half of outer edges of the lips as if something has been rubbed against both sides on the outer corners of the lips.
Has an accessory been pushed down into it from above.?
Could it have been a small battery case if there isn't a dynamo?
There has to be some source of electricity in this area, because the paired cables are right there. It hardly looks big enough for a battery when you compare it with the 1950s Raleighs which had cylindrical battery cases fitted to the frame.

By the way, I misled you with my description of the cable route. The front and rear cables don't meet at the bottom bracket, they meet just in front of the seat stays and rear brake. They exit the mudguards via a small hole which has the hole protected by the tiniest of grommets you can imagine.

Thinking caps back on again.?

Cheers