Bike carriers on cars

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Halla

Bike carriers on cars

Post by Halla »

Hello All.

You may have seen my post on the for sale board about the MaxxRaxx 4 bike carrier which I was trying to sell. Well you can learn new things every day. As stated in the other post, the MaxxRaxx website says that new parts are needed at a cost of £90 to adapt the original rack for current use.

Does anyone else know about this and does it apply to other cycle racks, also new to me is the nose weight limit on the tow ball, which is 75kg for the 4 bike rack, which is quite logical when you think about it.

Any thoughts.

Regards Andy
thirdcrank

Re: Bike carriers on cars

Post by thirdcrank »

A link to the info you are talking about would be helpful.

I've looked on the MaxxRaxx www and all I can find is advice to comply with a vehicle manufacturer's advice. That applies to pretty much any form of load carrying as otherwise, you are heading towards a breach of the con and use regs.

https://www.maxxraxx.co.uk/support/buye ... ght-rating
climo

Post by climo »

Can't see why as they still sell them. The towbar limit rule has always applied.
gaz

Post by gaz »

A bit of googling finds.
Tow bars must be 'type approved'. This means it meets EU regulations and is designed for your car. This doesn't apply to cars first used before 1 August 1998.

Here's a bit more detail from ebay.

I'd guess that's the summary of whatever legislation is behind things, although I couldn't tell you precisely why it is relevant to your MaxxRaxx fittings.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
craigbroadbent

Post by craigbroadbent »

Some towbars can take more than 75Kg nose load, see the S figure on the registration plate of towbar.
However, I am always wary of people putting more than 3 bikes on a towball.
The germans demand a further vehicle fix for anything over 3 bikes, as the bending moments get very high: The balls can break.

Please add a cable back through the frame to the safety eye on the towbar if you do, just in case. You are responsible for a safe load.
Halla

Post by Halla »

Thanks for your replies.

Go to MaxxRaxx website and select Products/Upgrades/Original Premier to Voyager upgrade. You will see a reference to a change in EU regulations. (Sorry, not sure how to display the appropriate page here)

Yes, agree about nose weight requirements having had a trailer tent and caravan in the past, the information given by MaxxRaxx at the time of purchase in 1996 did not include this very necessary information. Remember we did not have the internet in 1996 and relied on written product details.

This will only affect anyone with a pre 1998 cycle carrier, who wants to use it on a post 1998 vehicle.

Regards Andy
craigbroadbent

Post by craigbroadbent »

HI Andy,

Regulation 94/20 was replaced by Reg 55. This does not leglislate for cycle carriers, but does specify requirements for coupling devices(towbars).
There are clearance zones defined in the regulation so perhaps these are infringed by the original rack designs (guessing).

Anyway I would be reluctant to sell a 20 year old rack.

Regards
Craig