Anyone work in wholesale?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
David9694

Anyone work in wholesale?

Post by David9694 »

I’m no entrepreneur, but I saw recently that National Trust shops are doing a few basic bike bits and it gave me an idea or at least something to ponder. Would it work if someone who knew the way these things work sold a packaged range of cycling “rescue” products through independent village and suburban stores, garden centres, camping-sites and maybe garages? A lot of places have a minor hardware range and you can often get a puncture repair kit, alongside the fuses and picture hooks, but it’s all a bit unpredictable.

This would have to be kept pretty simple - e.g. items to rectify a puncture (+tyre levers, a mini pump), a few inner tubes (700, 26”), maybe some brake and gear cables (but need to be able to cut them) and some M4 nuts & bolts, a simple multi-tool. I always carry some pliers, myself, seems to help get me out of trouble.

The distributor could have an app, showing stockists and opening hours.
Spa Audax Ti Ultegra; Genesis Equilibrium 853; Raleigh Record Ace 1983; “Raleigh Competition”, “Raleigh Gran Sport 1982”; “Allegro Special”, Bob Jackson tourer, Ridley alu step-through with Swytch front wheel; gravel bike from an MB Dronfield 531 frame.
chris_suffolk

Re: Anyone work in wholesale?

Post by chris_suffolk »

I doubt you are the first to think of this, and if there genuinely was a profit to be made I suspect somebody would have done it by now. In truth, I doubt many people who cycle much go out without the where-withal to fix minor issues (or at least get home if not) and mechanical issues never seem to happen anywhere near to civilization in my experience.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

At one point the RSPB shop at their Old Moor reserve started selling some bike stuff along these lines and my impression then was that it was a bit misguided. I've no idea what discretion charities like these give to local managers. I've picked up some real clearance bargain nesting boxes at both Old Moor and Titchwell so if they can get stuck with unsold bird stuff, bike parts might be a step too far. Twenty years ago I bought a Karrimor Goretex anorak - ie when the made quality stuff - in a clearance sale at RSPB Lake Vyrnwy. Couldn't resist buying it because it was so cheap. My younger son as inherited and still wears it regularly.

I'd suggest that anybody stuck for the stuff to repair a puncture etc., should try Wilco's. Long opening hours and plenty of branches.

Edited to correct an embarrassing spelling mistake. :oops:
Last edited by thirdcrank on 2 Apr 2018, 5:46pm, edited 1 time in total.
whoof

Post by whoof »

Wholesalers tend to import a number of lines and then supply these to the cycle trade. Bikes,frames and high end equipment is where most of the turnover is. The items you have listed are necessary but literally small change.
If you would like to contact some suppliers, create bundles of the goods you have mentioned and the sell them on to shops or organisations you could try Cycle Sport North (CSN) or MDI.
atoz

Post by atoz »

thirdcrank wrote:At one point the RSPB shop at their Old Moor reserve started selling some bike stuff along these lines and my impression then was that it was a bit misguided. I've no idea what discretion charities like these give to local managers. I've picked up some real clearance bargain nesting boxes at both Old Moor and Titchwell so if they can get stuck with unsold bird stuff, bike parts might be a step too far. Twenty years ago I bought a Karrimor Goretex anorak - ie when the made quality stuff - in a clearance sale at RSPB Lake Vyrnwy. Couldn't resist buying it because it was so cheap. My younger son as inherited and still wears it regularly.

I'd suggest that anybody stuck for the stuff to repair a puncture etc., should try Wilco's. Long opening ours and plenty of branches.

Defintely with Wilco- puncture kits, and lube are usually made by/for Weldtite. I also use Lidl- chain cleaning kit for a lot less than bike shop price, becuase it's marketed under their name, although manufactured by Barbieri.
millimole

Post by millimole »

I've suggested this to my local cafe (gets a lot of 'casual' cyclists on the summer) several times.
The stumbling block seems to be that the wholesaler where he gets his supplies is a food wholesaler, and he sees no reason to contact a second source.
Maybe there's a way in here?

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly using hovercraft full of eels.
Leicester; Riding my Hetchins since 1971; Day rides on my Dawes; Going to the shops on a Decathlon Hoprider
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

A couple of our local cycle cafes carry a few bits n bobs, usually having taken advise from the cycling customer base and I think may have sourced the items via one or two local bike shops, ie had the items added to their orders to a wholesaler so they have the items at wholesale price... rather than buying in... they also have a track pump.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
pwa

Post by pwa »

Wouldn't it be wonderful if there were a branded package of cycling essentials that consisted of truly excellent items. Front and rear lights, puncture kit, compact but effective pump. Looking for such basics even in a shop like Halfords or Evans you are faced with some fairly rubbish rear lights. I used to rely on Cateye for rear LED lights because they were reliable and neat and had good run times. Now they are less reliable, some are very long and hang on to very small surface area brackets, and the AA batteries that ran forever have been replaced by AAA batteries or, even worse, integral rechargeable batteries with flimsy charger connections and low run times. It is hard for someone new to cycle commuting to assemble decent lighting.
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

Can't remember if it was Holland of Germany, but I'm sure I've seen vending machines performing this sort of role in Europe. I guess the contents of one of these would be a good starting point for stock ides. Or renting and maintaining the things could be a business idea for someone.

Edit, a quick google shows a range of ides such as http://greasemonkeycycles.com/inner-tub ... -machines/ made from old cigarette vending machines.

Edit v2 another interesting variation: http://road.cc/content/news/85141-expre ... -and-tools
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
ambodach

Post by ambodach »

One of the problems which a small shop or cafe will encounter is that a minimum order is often required. Also anything sold may be proforma ie cash in advance. If stock gets low on one or two items then it may not be possible to restock on an economic basis. If one source like the OP is willing to hold stock and replenish on demand then it may work. It would need more work and cash but if the OP was willing to supply a small stand and kept it replenished by keeping an eye on stock that would also help.
jessand

Post by jessand »

I think you will find that serious cyclists take bare essentials with them and casual cyclists wouldn't know (or want to know) how to repair a puncture or replace a cable. Cafes wanting to attract cyclists could provide the use of a puncture kit, track pump etc. - which wouldn't involve any hassle or stock etc.
Think of the cost of servicing these village stores - they're few and far between, aren't they?
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

"Think of the cost of servicing these village stores - they're few and far between, aren't they?"

...............and in my experience most village shops shut at lunchtime Saturday and don't open till Monday morning. Perfectly timed for the average cyclist.

In Taiwan as part of their push to get more people cycling, every police station has a basic cycle maintenance and repair kit. You can also get water and use the toilet. Of course this wouldn't work here as all the small police stations have been closed. The joy of living in a 'developed' country.
whoof

Post by whoof »

simonhill wrote:In Taiwan as part of their push to get more people cycling, every police station has a basic cycle maintenance and repair kit. You can also get water and use the toilet. Of course this wouldn't work here as all the small police stations have been closed. The joy of living in a 'developed' country.

Wouldn't be a lot of use in this country all most of the police stations are closed.