Dealing with dogs whilst cycling

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
james01

Post by james01 »

iaincullen wrote:Pepper spray is of course illegal in the UK.

A less vicious home-made alternative : a weak solution of washing up liquid & water in a child's water pistol. Get 'em in the face & they back off instantly, & tend not to do it again next time you pass them.
(Warning: only to be used on badly behaved dogs, not motorists. :twisted: )
peanut

Re: mans best freind

Post by peanut »

ronyrash wrote:the way to handle the unwelcome attention of a dog/dogs.is remain
perfectly still.they will then sniff around,become confused and wander off..

no they won't chum.
a snarling barking dog is extremely excitied and has only one thing on its mind and that is to bite you.

I have seen what an Alsation is capable of doing in just 2 seconds and I do mean 2x seconds.
It bit a woman three times tearing huge fist sized chunks out of her thigh, buttock and then the back of the hand down to the bones when she managed to get her hand down to protect herself.
It was over so fast no one had even the time to shout or step forward to help.

Now if you were to say don't run then I would agree wholeheartedly. but that is not quite the same thing.
Last edited by peanut on 16 Apr 2008, 8:31pm, edited 1 time in total.
ukdodger

Re: Dealing with dogs whilst cycling

Post by ukdodger »

Beakyboy wrote:After reading the 'What do you dislike about cycling' thread, and dogs appearing quite often, I wondered what is the best way to deal with them?

I have tried the Dog Dazer and it doesn't work (€80 down the drain),
I have tried out running them but am only successful if on a flat or going down hill,
My mate gives them the shoe but the pesky little terriers latch on to the toe,
I have tried dismantling and trying the crocodile 'Dundee approach' but that doesn't work either.
Someone said squirt them with the water bottle, but when 'under attack' I haven't the foresight or reaction time to try this yet.

So short of returning in the middle of the night with a 'special' steak, what is the best way to avoid being bitten, again!

Lastly if you live in the South of Ireland and own a dog, please do not let the little feckers roam the streets, be a responsible dog owner!!!!!! :evil:

I hate to say this and I really hope this isnt a case of famous last words. But I've never had any incident with a dog. In fact I've always thought if ever it happened I would be able to out run it. It's seriously depressing to hear that is wrong and that I've had a thirty year run of good luck. Do you live in the country then and meet lots of dogs or are you referring only to off road cycling?

Dogs scare me although I like them. A barking or growling dog sends me cold. I'm genuinly sorry you've been bitten once let alone repeatedly.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

ukdodger

As I have posted above, there are fewer stray dogs now ith a tendency to chase cyclists. Most are either under control or have already been run over.

A lot of the Helms cartoons in the comic and elsewhere feature dogs chasing cyclists - it used to be a real problem.

Unless you are going very fast downhill, you might do well to outpace a fit dog, at least over a short distance. I read something a few years ago which suggested that the movement of a cyclist's feet were irrestable to a dog. (This was a serious piece, not something in a cycling mag.)

I'm with PW on this but cyclists rarely carry anything heavy enough to be an effective weapon.
ukdodger

Post by ukdodger »

or have already been run over.

:lol:
Selrouge

Beating off rabid dogs

Post by Selrouge »

My technique which I've honed on wild, possibly rabid Turkish and Greek dogs is to use a common or garden bike pump.

My first experience of this was in Thrace out in the wilds. A pack of dogs saw me coming and ran to join the road ahead of me. The trick was to let them see the pump in its unextended form. They make an assumption on its length. Then when they get close just flick it out full length and tap them on the nose.

Never get off and don't try to change gear in case something jams - you'll be dog meat! :twisted:
ukdodger

Re: Beating off rabid dogs

Post by ukdodger »

Selrouge wrote:My technique which I've honed on wild, possibly rabid Turkish and Greek dogs is to use a common or garden bike pump.

My first experience of this was in Thrace out in the wilds. A pack of dogs saw me coming and ran to join the road ahead of me. The trick was to let them see the pump in its unextended form. They make an assumption on its length. Then when they get close just flick it out full length and tap them on the nose.

Never get off and don't try to change gear in case something jams - you'll be dog meat! :twisted:

Fascinating that they were smart enough to head you off. On the pump solution though. I'd remove the connector first just in case you flick it the wrong way around and end up without it.
chick2en

Dogs chasing cyclist

Post by chick2en »

I was chased by 2 huge dogs when I was cycling near Wexford. Fortunately I was going downhill, so I survived! It is a legal requirement in Ireland to restrain your dog if it is kept near a road. So if a dog chases you in Ireland, just stop and read it the relevant legislation! That should do the trick!
brianleach

Post by brianleach »

Have only just found this thread via another post and can recall this was a problem maqy years ago when I used to cycle to school as a lad of 6 or 7 with my mum. Now deceased but a very kind and gentle lady.

In fact she almost killed our family when she grabbed the wheel of the car my Dad was driving to avoid a pheasant who had walked in front of us anyway I digress we often encountered dogs which would chase us but we usually managed to out run them. There was however a particularly vicious alsatian guarding a scrap metal yard and on this occasion he was on us before we realised and no chance to outrun so my mother grabbed her pump and whacked it smartly across the nose. It slunk back into the yard and never chased us again.

This was of course in 1958 and she would no doubt be charged with cruelty to animals these days.

Brian
pete75

Post by pete75 »

thirdcrank wrote:This went on for several minutes. Luckily, for me at least, it decided a passing postman would be easier prey. To a loud cheer from me he managed to hit its head with a perfect swing of a heavy mailbag. After staggering for a few seconds it ran off and for all I know it is still running.

Ah but a postman is a professional. :-)

If anyone would prefer to use a deterrent spray then there are plenty of legal options. An aerosol of cellulose paint would be ideal, as would one of a reasonably powerful insect killer or even hair laquer. Dogs have very sensitive noses and are also biologically programmed to avoid anything which affects their sense of smell. If following the fairy liquid container route an ammonia or bleach solution would work well.
Last edited by pete75 on 25 Oct 2008, 5:18pm, edited 3 times in total.
spinner_43

Post by spinner_43 »

iaincullen wrote:Pepper spray is of course illegal in the UK.

http://preview.tinyurl.com/25amro

...so is allowing a dog to chase bikers, using a mobile phone while driving, riding without lights in the dark, ignoring speed limits, etc. etc.
So many unenforceable laws...

Anyway, thanks very much for the tip- I'll have to think of something else now. Perhaps a squeezy 'Jif' lemon might work, and be legal.

Regards, Alan
random37

Post by random37 »

Am I the only person who thinks this is starting to sound a bit millitant?
Now shock collars are illegal, dog trainers are using collars that spray either plain water, or diluted lemon juice. You don't need more; don't be suprised if carrying a bottle of bleach or ammonia to spray dogs with ends up with you in an awful lot of trouble.
noonoosdad wrote:I sometimes wonder what part of the words 'Cycle' and 'Path' they don't understand.
(snip)
Quite regularly I have to sound my approach using my rather nifty AirZounds Horn.

I don't know what stretch of the cut you mean, but I suspect you mean towpath, not cycle path.
I am a keen cyclist, but I am also a residential boater, and I can honestly say anyone that uses an airzounds horn on a towpath is just as unpleasant and antisocial as someone who lets their dog run around off its lead and &$£! everywhere, IMO.
I wouldn't be at all suprised if one day trying that on an unsuspecting dog walker ends up with you suddenly finding yourself swimming instead of cycling.
If there's other people on a long stretch of towpath, slow down. Swap your horn for a bell, ping as you approach, then smile and say thank you as you pass. You'll arrive at work happier, and you give all cyclists a better name. Sorted.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Any weapon of whatever description designed or adapted for the discharge of any noxious liquid, gas or other thing.

That's the definition of one of the various types of prohibited weapon under the Firearms Act.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

thirdcrank wrote:Any weapon of whatever description designed or adapted for the discharge of any noxious liquid, gas or other thing.

That's the definition of one of the various types of prohibited weapon under the Firearms Act.

If that's true then I know some people whose backsides are certainly illegal after a night on the beer..... :-)
Tonyf33

Post by Tonyf33 »

Way to deal with a dog. get off bike as soon as possible. Turn to face dog with body side on(less area for dog to see) sort of boxing stance, clench fists & wait for pounce. Straight forward punch to the jaw or snout will see it running or knocked out. Failing that throw white pepper in its face. This does not come under ANY firearms act.