Reasonable price 20” turbo?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
[XAP]Bob

Reasonable price 20” turbo?

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Want to start trike rehab, but a 20” turbo would be good...

Most turbos seem to be larger wheeled, and expensive...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
RickH

Re: Reasonable price 20” turbo?

Post by RickH »

BKool Smart Go looks like it will fit any wheel size - £255 here, DCRainmaker review, Official page

Bkool FAQ wrote:What wheel sizes are supported?

Thanks to its swing arm, the Bkool trainer is compatible with practically any wheel diameter, including 26, 27.5 and 29” MTB tires.

No personal experience of it but I remembered it from a roundup of trainers by DCRainmaker & remember thinking "you could use that with the Circe tandem" (which also has 20" wheels).
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

You can get adaptors for certain trainers which either lift the turbo unit or lower the bike.
Another option may be "rollers" which can usually be configured for length etc.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Rollers probably not great for a trike, have to line them up perfectly...

What justifies £225, seems pretty steep for what I expect of a turbo?
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
whoof

Post by whoof »

Buy a cheap second hand bike with 700c or 26 " wheels and a cheap turbo.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Can’t. No balance
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

[XAP]Bob wrote:Can’t. No balance

You don't need to balance on a turbo. The bike is held upright by the turbo itself.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

TrevA wrote:

You don't need to balance on a turbo. The bike is held upright by the turbo itself.

I have *no* balance. I can't stand up, and would be quite capable of falling off a saddle of any sort.
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

[XAP]Bob wrote:
TrevA wrote:

I have *no* balance. I can't stand up, and would be quite capable of falling off a saddle of any sort.

What stops you falling off a Trike saddle then?
You'll never know if you don't try it.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Recumbent trike... not a saddle :)
hercule

Post by hercule »

I use an Elite Chrono Fluid with my Trice QNT... unlike the usual a-frame turbos the wheel mounting arm moves and allows the tyre to rest on the roller. It isn’t advertised as being suitable for a 20” wheel but it does fit - there is enough clearance between the roller housing and the tyre for everything to run smoothly. It’s pretty quiet as well. I knocked up a pair of wheel trays to support the front wheels and keep the trike level ( else your feet and possibly your cranks will hit the floor). With the trikes’s elastomer suspension there can be a bit of bounce so stiffen up the rear suspension and lock on the (front!) brakes.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/elite-crono-flu ... l-trainer/

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly bog brush using hovercraft full of eels
Last edited by hercule on 6 Apr 2018, 8:19pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tilley

Post by Tilley »

Hi Bob, I have a Cyclops fluid 2 turbo trainer fitted with the 20" wheel adapter.
I bought it to use with my Trice TNT to improve my cadence, but it has seen little use PM me if you want to see pictures and discuss price.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Cheers both...