Legally Can you Cycle on the A77?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
a01020304

Legally Can you Cycle on the A77?

Post by a01020304 »

The A77 in Scotland runs from south of Fenwick to Portpatrick, it is Dual Carriageway in places then goes to two way traffic.
The road has access to farms and does have slow moving tractors on it, however my question is can a non motorised bike (Cycle/Push Bike) be riden on this whole stretch of road that is signed A77?

I ask this as TomTom maps are adament this is classified as a Motorway status the whole way. When I sent them an email they explained that as its a 70mph road its a motorway.

So I ask everyone out there, in terms of law are you allowed to cycle along the A77? (whether there is a path or not)
mercalia

Re: Legally Can you Cycle on the A77?

Post by mercalia »

well according to this gov page dual carriage ways can be 70mph?

https://www.gov.uk/speed-limits

but not sure I would like some thing pass me at 70mph

when I was at berwick upon tweed and cycled to Scotland on the A1 didnt like the lorrys passing me at 60mph :shock:
Last edited by mercalia on 4 Apr 2018, 7:16pm, edited 2 times in total.
bogmyrtle

Post by bogmyrtle »

It's a trunk road so in theory unless there is anything in place to exclude bikes then I can't see why not. Whether you would want to is another thing.
A bike does more miles to the banana than a Porsche.
Galloper

Post by Galloper »

Google Maps thinks the A77 is fine for bicycles.
a01020304

Post by a01020304 »

mercalia wrote:well according to this gov page dual carriage ways can be 70mph?

https://www.gov.uk/speed-limits

but not sure I would like some thing pass me at 70mph

when I was at berwick upon tweed and cycled to Scotland on the A1 didnt like the lorrys passing me at 60mph :shock:

yes in places there is a higher speed limit but there is no signs to say you cannot be on it plus tractors traverse it as access points along road for fields and also farms
a01020304

Post by a01020304 »

bogmyrtle wrote:It's a trunk road so in theory unless there is anything in place to exclude bikes then I can't see why not. Whether you would want to is another thing.

I agree its personal choice as to whether you would want to however there is no restriction signs saying you cant so this is why I ask
a01020304

Post by a01020304 »

My understanding is unless there is a sign to say you cant then legally you can, as motorways means no pedestrians, no slow moving vehicles and no cycles. but all other roads no restrictions apply to what kind of vehicle unless specified.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

I hope so as I’ve cycled on some at the bottom end :D
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
irc

Post by irc »

a01020304 wrote:I ask this as TomTom maps are adament this is classified as a Motorway status the whole way. When I sent them an email they explained that as its a 70mph road its a motorway.

Which proves they know not what they are talking about. There are a few dual carriageways where cycling isn't allowed for example the Edinburgh Bypass mostly though dual carriageways allow cycling. For example dual sections of the A9, A82.

The A77 is not signed for no cycling. Not to be confused with the M77 which bypassed the old A77 from Glasgow to Kilmarnock.
a01020304

Post by a01020304 »

irc wrote:
a01020304 wrote:I ask this as TomTom maps are adament this is classified as a Motorway status the whole way. When I sent them an email they explained that as its a 70mph road its a motorway.

Which proves they know not what they are talking about. There are a few dual carriageways where cycling isn't allowed for example the Edinburgh Bypass mostly though dual carriageways allow cycling. For example dual sections of the A9, A82.

The A77 is not signed for no cycling. Not to be confused with the M77 which bypassed the old A77 from Glasgow to Kilmarnock.

I agree, plus the fact tractors can travel on A77 and there is field access and also access to farms and other homes, you obviously could not do that on a motorway. I know some roads like parts of A1 and A9 and certain other A roads like North Wales Expressway your not allowed but the A77 although fast in places there is slow traffic allowed and no restriction signs.
Annoying Twit

Post by Annoying Twit »

Huge A Roads with fast traffic scare me. What goes through my mind is that there may be drivers who don't like cyclists not giving enough space and getting it wrong.

I may be paranoid, but I have been passed very closely on fast roads like that. I avoid them. Which sometimes means fighting tooth and nail against google maps insisting on taking me onto them. I once took a wrong turning and had to ride 2km on the A52. I did *not* enjoy it.
BigFoz

Post by BigFoz »

Answer is yes. Though for most of the dualled bits and through Ayr, there is a good cycle path alongside (Which runs all the way up to Glasgow city Centre, though it's a bit confusing through Kilmarnock). The road however, is one I would avoid - it's fast, heavily used and lots of trucks that only just fit. It's the main route to Stranraer ferry, and it's narrow and nadgery past Ayr in lots of places. Maybole even has problems with room on the pavement between trucks. It's also subject to regular land slip closures past Girvan. Scottish highways dept needs to do something drastic with it.
BigFoz

Post by BigFoz »

TomTom maps are adament this is classified as a Motorway status the whole way. When I sent them an email they explained that as its a 70mph road its a motorway.

Which goes to show that Tom Tom don't know basic road law... A motorway has an entire legal classification, whereas the default speed limit on a non Mway DC is 70 for cars, unless otherwise posted.
a01020304

Post by a01020304 »

BigFoz wrote:
TomTom maps are adament this is classified as a Motorway status the whole way. When I sent them an email they explained that as its a 70mph road its a motorway.

Which goes to show that Tom Tom don't know basic road law... A motorway has an entire legal classification, whereas the default speed limit on a non Mway DC is 70 for cars, unless otherwise posted.

Unfortunately TomTom moderation and customer care is based in india and they are impossible to convince, despite tomtom being based in holland you have to deal with india and they just dont understand or want to listen
BigFoz

Post by BigFoz »

BTW - meant to ask - why do you need to know? If taking a trip down that way, there are some epic rides (including parts of the Ayrshire alps ) slightly inland that would take you to the same destinations (Ayr / Girvan / Stranraer etc) and would be both a quieter and much nicer ride.