What does this ad say about the cycling trade..

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Tangled Metal

Re: What does this ad say about the cycling trade..

Post by Tangled Metal »

My local Evans store had I think 4 it 5 tourers. Two ridgebacks including the panorama and iirc two jamis tourers I think a kona was there too but wasn't looking at that one. The jamis and ridgebacks looked nice bikes.

Pretty good service from them. Online too. Bought in store a few times and online. Once the online store sent me a rack they had one bolt missing. I called my local branch explained the situation and said I needed the rack for the weekend away. They said to drop by there's one in stock they'd take what I needed from that one. I couldn't make it the Friday so we stopped off on our way up to our holiday. I was given a full set of fixing bolts and fixing bars. That means they can't sell this rack.

The guy I spoke to on the phone two days before was busy but all the staff knew I was coming in and where the fittings were located. So I turned up with receipt of order on my phone expecting questions. The guy said here it is and asked if that was ok. Took about 30 seconds to sort out without questions only an apology for the trouble.

I've had similar cases like that. IMHO it isn't important that the retailer messes up only the way they rectify the situation. Mistakes happen. The solution to that mistake marks out good customer service and ime Evans cycles have that good service.
jimlews

Post by jimlews »

The pictures are under the wrong captions IMHO. I find the left hand image much more alluring.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

It says that if you have an old bike, they will trade it in for part payment of a new one...........
Richard D

Post by Richard D »

I did comment on their FB post when I saw it that their aspirational customer clearly doesn't do much riding in the UK, eschewing a bike with mudguards for one without.
atoz

Post by atoz »

Bmblbzzz wrote:
atoz wrote:I posted this because it's a classic example of bike as "boy toy" rather than as practical sustainable transport.

Plenty of "girl toys" too. The desire to ride fast is by no means purely masculine.

Very true, they are often black but with a bit of pink contrast paint (what manufacturers call cerise) somewhere. Basically your average sportive offering in a smaller frame size.

I note the bike in question didn't have mudguards- obviously it doesn't rain on Planet Evans..i wish I could find this planet then I could go for a ride there.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Bonefishblues wrote:Dear Evans.

Your advertising has got lots of people talking about it.

Good job!

Yours,

A Forum member

Is Decathlon the new Evans?
Yours ever, Trellis from NW
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Not really, but they are very useful, I think.
PH

Post by PH »

Richard D wrote:I did comment on their FB post when I saw it that their aspirational customer clearly doesn't do much riding in the UK, eschewing a bike with mudguards for one without.

I was out last Sunday, a grey day with a bit of drizzle, the majority of bikes I saw being ridden* were without mudguards.
You and I might think that madness, but if we were in the mainstream bike trade and only sold bikes with guards I doubt we'd last long.

* Plenty of them which is a Good Thing :D
paddler

Post by paddler »

Aren't they all 'sports riding', which means they will get sweaty and wash their kit afterwards anyway? At least that's what I do - if I just go out for 'a ride', I'll wear what I'm in at the time and use a bike with mudguards. Presumably, in a club situation riding in a group, mudguards might be used more I suppose.

Dave
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

It's certainly a mistake to assume that what suits you must suit someone else.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

That ad says... that they want to sell bikes.

They are appealing to the folks who buy a bike every few years, ride it one summer, then leave it sit in the garage for the next 2 years. They may see an advert like that, and think 'a new bike is just the thing to give me some motivation...' They probably won't even buy something that will get them the discount. Once they're in the shop actually looking at bikes, it hardly matters.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom