Cyclist Pear Shape

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
eileithyia

Re: Cyclist Pear Shape

Post by eileithyia »

AnnTrex wrote:Thanks all and sorry for missing the previous discussion. Some really helpful advice here and the comments are uplifting - Vorpal thanks for the cargo pants recommendation. I think it is genetic (i inherited my Dad's rugby glutes) and exacerbated since i started doing more track cycling racing - my buttocks and quads have became bigger and rounder and my waist has reduced a little. I love my food also so dont really want to change my diet as a cost to complying with Marks and Spencer jean sizes. I have been through Levi, Zara, Wrangler and they are also impossible to find the waist and thighs to fit so i may just resort to stretchy jeans and skirts - if anyone has any brands please feel free to shout up and state where they accomodate your shape (thigh area, rear, waist) - if anyone knows how hard it is to shop they will understand. The comments are correct - we should probably focus on the practical advantages of having a powerful lower bodies instead of obsessing over changing or hiding it - walking up the stairs, cycling at speed, hiking, carrying a child, pedal boats on holiday and the occasional play-wrestle with my skinny husband who is a long distance runner (if i can wrap him up between my legs think of a python and a mouse). Any one else got any positives? thanks again guys.

M&S are terrible fit. I saw a really nice pair of trousers in there some years ago.... they were a sort of peg shape with pleat detailing from the waist to thigh, at the front. One size was too big on the waist and just fitted nicely on the hips, other size fitted on the waist but left the pleats gaping far too much in order to attempt to fit over the hips...... Saved me a few quids as they stayed on the hanger....
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Thanks for that eile (your first of the two posts above) though i can see I will have to do more googling.

Will reply to the other thread side/non issue when on a proper keyboard.
Sweep
AnnTrex

Post by AnnTrex »

Thanks guys. M&S should not be allowed to make jeans - I completely agree and that’s coming from a mum with very basic fashion skills. Regarding to consent my husband laughed - I would never need consent and it’s nice knowing he’s comfortable. He actually compared our wrestling match to a python and the mouse. Once you’re in a pear cyclist clutches it’s game over. Unfortunately if only jeans could be an easy opppnent?
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

AnnTrex wrote:Regarding to consent my husband laughed

Good. Nice to know that senses of humour are still alive and kicking. And I have long found the apparent relative lack of game playing on this forum one of its most attractive features. Long may it continue.

All the best, on with the thread.
Sweep
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

AnnTrex wrote:Thanks guys. M&S should not be allowed to make jeans - I completely agree and that’s coming from a mum with very basic fashion skills. Regarding to consent my husband laughed - I would never need consent and it’s nice knowing he’s comfortable. He actually compared our wrestling match to a python and the mouse. Once you’re in a pear cyclist clutches it’s game over. Unfortunately if only jeans could be an easy opppnent?

Hehe, there are all sorts of queer beasts here
If a python won and ate the mouse, would it be 'the full monty?'
I would be glad to be compared to T-Rex, first they made great music, second dinosaurs ruled the world for millions of years
There was a great film a couple of years ago, The Good Dinosaur, about dinos who could speak and people who could not, saw it several times
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
AnnTrex

Post by AnnTrex »

Ladies. The python (see inside joke above) finally squeezed (no pun intended) in a pair of jeans. https://www.keirincutjeans.com/ would highly recommend to anyone. I think they do guys jeans too. Apologies to get detailed but they are especially good if you have bigger rounder buttocks as they have more space in the back. The upper thighs also stretch without them looking too cheap. So happy. Tempted to post a photo of my big cycling rear to celebrate but i will curtail my jubilation and save you all the horror.
ThePinkOne

Post by ThePinkOne »

I'm a pear shape too.

For jeans, if you like a traditional cut (made in England too), try "Vivien of Holloway": https://www.vivienofholloway.com/women-c70/trousers-c14 not just jeans but "pedal pushers" too :lol:

They are shaped for the pear-shaped lady, and the quality is excellent. Although they cost more than M&S, they are like what M&S used to be- well made, decent fabric and they do last well. I lived in their jeans for work in a workshop environment for 3 years, and they were excellent. They also do some flattering dresses, if that's your thing.

That said, these days I have moved away from jeans, and tend to wear leggings, usually with a tunic top. the "Lagenlook" theme can be very practical, and as I make some of my own clothes, I can alter to suit. There's some good on-line patterns these days.

For cycling stuff, another source is Fat Lad at the Back https://fatladattheback.com/womens-cycle-wear . They do ladies stuff in sizes 8 to 26, and again it's cut for ladies with curves. What is excellent is that (unlike Corinne Dennis) they cater for ladies with a larger bust.

TPo
AnnTrex

Post by AnnTrex »

Thanks - tried them and really nice fit. A bit of stretch goes a long way with the backside/quads. Thanks
horizon

Post by horizon »

eileithyia wrote:Bodies are ectomorphs, endomorphs or something in between. Trackies especially sprinters have more 'short fire' muscle fibres.

I discovered this when riding tandem with Mrs H. Long endurance rides weren't her thing and I always assumed myself to be the stronger rider. Until we hit a short hill when we would get a burst of energy from the back like a turbocharger up the hill. I think people really miss out on the benefits of the different types of physique/energy.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher