Cyclist Pear Shape

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
AnnTrex

Cyclist Pear Shape

Post by AnnTrex »

Hi All

I am a mum in her mid 40s, kids all off to university and never been cycling so much in my life :D . I did a lot of skiing and horse riding in my 20s and 30s and have always been pear shaped but not to the extent i had problems with getting clothes to fit. However since taking up track, road cycling and hiking in my 40s I have developed big buttocks and upper thighs compared to my skinny arms,flat chest and waistline. Whilst i can handle my kids calling me the T-Rex and never been too bothered about appearance, its a pain in the bum (no pub intended) finding trousers and jeans that arent slack on the waist. If they are snug on the waist i cant fit them over my rear / thighs.

Any women and men out there with a similar shape and found a solution?

Many thanks
Cyril Haearn

Re: Cyclist Pear Shape

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Welcome on board

There are several discussions about this here, you can use the board search function or googl to find them
Corinne Dennis makes cycling clothes for females and is apparently very very good
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
horizon

Post by horizon »

Hi Ann and welcome to the forum.

Acording to this website https://totalwomenscycling.com/fitness/ ... ghs-bigger your thighs won't get bigger. I'm no expert on this but it could be your diet (high protein) and/or your other exercise which is creating the shape. Professional cyclists are notoriously skinny.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Thornyone

Post by Thornyone »

I’m no expert, but maybe your shape is genetically determined? The good news seems to be that “pears” are considered to be healthier than “apples” in terms of cardiovascular risk. My (male) problem is that I swim a lot and so don’t have a characteristic “cyclist’s body”. You could try swimming to maybe help tame the “T rex” shape, but it probably wouldn’t help you to find suitable cycling clothing :lol:. Sorry, not a very helpful reply.
Thornyone

Post by Thornyone »

horizon wrote:Professional cyclists are notoriously skinny.

Like Sir Chris? :lol:
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I have a similar problem. I tend to buy things with adjustable waists, stretchy material, or take tucks in the waist.

I have a couple of pairs of men's cargo trousers with velcro straps at the back that let me adjust the waist size. I am fairly short-waisted, so this arrangement works well for me. Stretchy jeans work pretty well, too, but they don't last as long as heavier material.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=112556
it's a common problem. this is the last thread on this topic. good luck!
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
CyberKnight

Post by CyberKnight »

As said its a common issue with cyclists, i tend to wear jogging bottoms around the house .
img012.jpg
John Wayne: "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on... I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."
yostumpy

Post by yostumpy »

also , I think statistically, women pedal slower than men, by that I mean they like to push a bigger gear, which in itself would develop bigger legs, Try spinning faster, in a 'lighter gear' . Aim for around 80 rpm peddleing. This is easy to check whilst riding, a watch with second hand is all that you need. Ride along somewhere quiet to start, watch the second hand till it gets to o'clock, or any of the other 3 quarters, and the moment the hand strikes this, count every right hand side 'peddle down' motion. If you get 20 'downs' in 15 secs then thats 80 rpm....simples. I don't mean go faster, but pedal faster, and more supple. But I may of course be completely wrong and you may already have a good cadence, in which case I'll shut up. :(
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Hi and welcome... bit late to the thread but there is links to discussion already aired re subject... don't worry when I was being fitted for my first ever race shorts, the couple who made our kit decided i was small and tried to give me a pair that just eye-wateringly cut off my circulation... they could not believe they did not fit as they fit their daughter... until I tried them on for them to see in the unit they had....... 'Ah cyclist's thighs.. not dancer's...' was the response (their daughter was a dancer).... so you are not alone...
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
AnnTrex

Post by AnnTrex »

Thanks all and sorry for missing the previous discussion. Some really helpful advice here and the comments are uplifting - Vorpal thanks for the cargo pants recommendation. I think it is genetic (i inherited my Dad's rugby glutes) and exacerbated since i started doing more track cycling racing - my buttocks and quads have became bigger and rounder and my waist has reduced a little. I love my food also so dont really want to change my diet as a cost to complying with Marks and Spencer jean sizes. I have been through Levi, Zara, Wrangler and they are also impossible to find the waist and thighs to fit so i may just resort to stretchy jeans and skirts - if anyone has any brands please feel free to shout up and state where they accomodate your shape (thigh area, rear, waist) - if anyone knows how hard it is to shop they will understand. The comments are correct - we should probably focus on the practical advantages of having a powerful lower bodies instead of obsessing over changing or hiding it - walking up the stairs, cycling at speed, hiking, carrying a child, pedal boats on holiday and the occasional play-wrestle with my skinny husband who is a long distance runner (if i can wrap him up between my legs think of a python and a mouse). Any one else got any positives? thanks again guys.
AnnTrex

Post by AnnTrex »

Thornyone wrote:
horizon wrote:Professional cyclists are notoriously skinny.

Like Sir Chris? :lol:

Yes i agree with this reply - it depends which discipline. The average track cyclist and road cyclist body shape are completely different - sorry but thats just fact.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Chris Hoy may have a heavy build compared with road racing cyclists, especially climbers, but he is a racing snake compared with athletes from most other sports.
pwa

Post by pwa »

thirdcrank wrote:Chris Hoy may have a heavy build compared with road racing cyclists, especially climbers, but he is a racing snake compared with athletes from most other sports.

But in his track racing days he would have found standard jeans too tight around the thighs if they were a good fit around the hips. Trousers can be a real problem for anyone who differs even a little from the "standard". My Missus isn't far from standard but she has difficulty getting a good fit.
AnnTrex

Post by AnnTrex »

Yes. Dont get me wrong its 1st world problems and certainly nothing to cry over. I have focused on more squats and short bursts of power in my 40s and probably more shaped like Anna Meares (but with a little more body fat :-/). Im by no means a style queen but its just frustrating going to a social event with a belt around your jeans and the waistline all scrunched up. Even i know thats not exactly trendy.