Glue recommendations for sole of SPD/Urban shoes

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
The utility cyclist

Glue recommendations for sole of SPD/Urban shoes

Post by The utility cyclist »

So my Northwave Mission shoes have a little remedial work needed, well actually just the left one.
The sole has come away from the front end and flapping like a slack jawed yokel :lol: I glued it with some araldite last year and initially all seemed okay, it's probably lasted another 7-8 months and I could give it another go but wondering if anyone knew of some specific glue that might do the job.
thanks
cycleruk

Re: Glue recommendations for sole of SPD/Urban shoes

Post by cycleruk »

A good few years back I used Evostick on a pair of cycling shoes soles with good success. Lasted a long time.
I have recently used "Shoe Goo", again with some success, when glueing some rubber to the soles of a pair of cycling shoes.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I've never had to repair cycling shoes but I've had excellent results on other footwear with two-part epoxy resin, the type that comes in two parallel syringes to ensure equal parts are dispensed and mixed. My current supply - which I bought quite recently - is Gorilla, bought from good old Wilco's. I've used it for one job only and 100% satisfied.

If the Araldite you used was the two-part epoxy resin type, then I'm sorry I'm not being any help.
The utility cyclist

thirdcrank wrote:I've never had to repair cycling shoes but I've had excellent results on other footwear with two-part epoxy resin, the type that comes in two parallel syringes to ensure equal parts are dispensed and mixed. My current supply - which I bought quite recently - is Gorilla, bought from good old Wilco's. I've used it for one job only and 100% satisfied.

If the Araldite you used was the two-part epoxy resin type, then I'm sorry I'm not being any help.

Yup, it's the two barrel stuff, maybe I'll try it again and give it a good slavering, I did use my cast iron pan and beech chopping board as weights to press it down and I left it a day or so to go off.
Just wondered if there was any particular shoe repair stuff that peope had used.

Cycleruk, I'll have a butchers at the shoo-glue stuff, thanks.
steady eddy

Post by steady eddy »

Gorilla foaming polyurethane glue sticks to anything. I have successfully mended shoes with it. Just don't get it on your hands, it takes days to wear away.
Samuel D

Post by Samuel D »

You could take them to a cobbler. I do that with my street shoes when they need new soles or heels and the results are superb, usually better than new. Whatever glues they have work amazingly well.
The utility cyclist

well I've re-glued using my 2 part araldite and being a bit more generous, used my kenwood chef on top of the beech chopping block to press it all down. I thought about the cobblers but would cost about the same as 2 full tubes of araldite.
thanks for suggestions, may come back to them if this doesn't work out.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Please report back, including if all works fine.
Sweep
hamster

Post by hamster »

+1 for Shoo Goo. It stuck the soles back onto a set of SPD shoes which lasted another 5 years (until the solid floor of the shoe snapped).
Si

Post by Si »

This is getting beyond funny....case for Mulder and Scully....last three questions I've come on here to post have appeared at the top of the forum, posted by someone else, just as I was about to post them!!!!!!

Anyhoo.....I've been trying to stick the soles back onto my MTB shoes. have tried the two pack araldite from Wilko, found it to initially be OK but after a good couple of soakings it starts to come apart again.

Will look at shoo glue!
Ray

Post by Ray »

I've been looking for something similar recently, and googling brings up 'Boot-Fix', and also 'Stormsure', as being highly effective. No experience of either, but may be worth exploring for tough jobs.

It might also be worth actually asking a cobbler what s/he uses.
Ray
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt - Bertrand Russell
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Samuel D wrote:You could take them to a cobbler. I do that with my street shoes when they need new soles or heels and the results are superb, usually better than new. Whatever glues they have work amazingly well.

I had this on a Shimano SPD shoe. Took it to the cobbler who asked me to bring the other in - he said if one was like that the other wouldn't be far off. He reglued them both and charged me £3.50. Take them to a proper cobbler though not somewhere like Timpson.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Shoe Goo is king. As opposed to Araldite, Shoe Goo is specifically made for shoes.

This shows one of my 3-year-old Carnacs in 2014:

Using Shoe Goo I was able to re-stick the soles and make good the wear at the toes. I finally retired them last year, looking like this:

These shoes seem to have been made mostly of cardboard and spit, which is likely why Carnac went bust a couple of years back. Shoe Goo kept them going another 3 years: not bad.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
geomannie

Post by geomannie »

geomannie