Is CUK running a bike revival this year?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
The utility cyclist

Is CUK running a bike revival this year?

Post by The utility cyclist »

Just wondering if CUK or any other organisation were running a big bike revival programme this year?
JakobW

Re: Is CUK running a bike revival this year?

Post by JakobW »

Yes, it's happening - the most recent Cycle had a piece saying that CUK had got DfT funding to run it again this year. No details of what or when, though, and the big bike revival website doesn't seem to have anything yet either.
The utility cyclist

JakobW wrote:Yes, it's happening - the most recent Cycle had a piece saying that CUK had got DfT funding to run it again this year. No details of what or when, though, and the big bike revival website doesn't seem to have anything yet either.

Yeah, last year it was 1st May onward, getting things in early so that people can get bikes going for when the good weather starts should be the target. I was going to do something on my own/few other peeps local to me via a facebook page but would be better if had backing/support/funding and make it a big deal as opposed to just a handful.
gaz

Post by gaz »

Watch this space. It may be worth mentioning that the linked Cycling UK webpage was last updated yesterday. The "events" link therein seems to have no specific relevance to BBR, just the various published events of Member Groups and other Affiliated Groups.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Anyone else remember the successful "National Bike Week" as it used to be. We used to have commuting challenges, family rides, the local ferry dropped bike charges, educational and support stalls on the local market
mjr

Post by mjr »

Cunobelin wrote:Anyone else remember the successful "National Bike Week" as it used to be. We used to have commuting challenges, family rides, the local ferry dropped bike charges, educational and support stalls on the local market

I'd have to check but I think CTC took it over for a while and then it went to Bike Biz. At some points there, it moved to a nonsensical date in June (long after those who are going to start cycling in the spring have done so, conflicting with college exams and school exam prep) and became a difficult to use website. Cycle to Work day moved itself out of Bike Week to September (why not April?) and I think some cycling campaigns switched resources to other campaigns like MOVE Week.
Last edited by mjr on 11 Apr 2018, 12:23pm, edited 1 time in total.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
The utility cyclist

gaz wrote:Watch this space. It may be worth mentioning that the linked Cycling UK webpage was last updated yesterday. The "events" link therein seems to have no specific relevance to BBR, just the various published events of Member Groups and other Affiliated Groups.

I already checked it beforehand hence my posted question. Think if anything is happening it's a bit last minute larry.
mjr

Post by mjr »

The utility cyclist wrote:I already checked it beforehand hence my posted question. Think if anything is happening it's a bit last minute larry.

Thank you. I feel like I sound like a stuck record saying that. CTC/CUK and similar organisers don't seem to appreciate that most groups have volunteers already stretched about as much as we dare with at least a two-month event-planning horizon. KLWNBUG is now starting to plan events for June/July - if BBR is happening in May, I think we basically no longer have resources to help.

Scheduling in May would usually be difficult anyway, with the bank holiday weekends at both end festooned with community events (we could easily find three events to do each day on each weekend if we had enough volunteers, signs and so on), a long-standing charity ride on the second weekend, some of our volunteers going off on tour and probably other stuff I'm forgetting (others do the scheduling). I feel these start/restart cycling events would be better in March/April as the weather improves (and new tax year motivates cycle2work purchases?) or around the times of Ride London and Tour de France in late July, with as much lead time as possible.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
gaz

Post by gaz »

gaz wrote:Watch this space. It may be worth mentioning that the linked Cycling UK webpage was last updated yesterday. The "events" link therein seems to have no specific relevance to BBR, just the various published events of Member Groups and other Affiliated Groups.

Last update to the above page was 23 April. "Events" link now goes to BBR 2018 events.

Latest:
bbr.png
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade