How long is a Pinnacle Lithium 3 2018 ( for shed dimensions )

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
nchesh

How long is a Pinnacle Lithium 3 2018 ( for shed dimensions )

Post by nchesh »

Hi
Just wondered if anyone knows the overall length of the Pinnacle Lithium 3 2018 bicycle. I'm ordering a new shed for this bike which i'm thinking of getting but not sure which size to go for. I cant get to the store until the weekend and want to order it before then, I have phoned the store but size was a bit vague.

Does anyone have the exact size?

Neil
Samuel D

Re: How long is a Pinnacle Lithium 3 2018 ( for shed dimensions )

Post by Samuel D »

If you click on Pinnacle size and geometry guide Lithium Mens in the Good to know section on the right of this page, you’ll get the geometry which should include wheelbase. As it turns out, it does not, but you can calculate it from the “Front Centre”, “Chainstay Length”, and “BB Drop” combined.

With the known tyre size and wheelbase we can figure out the length to within about a centimetre, which is probably as close as you’d want to risk anyway. However, to do that we need to know which size you want and whether it is indeed the men’s bicycle that you are considering.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Incredible that no one in Evans can use a tape measure. We don’t know what size you’re buying.
As for sheds just get the biggest your site can take. None of mine have ever been big enough :lol: Usually full within weeks.
It might fit in a 6' shed but it’ll probably be comfier in a 6' 6".
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
nchesh

Post by nchesh »

Thanks Samuel

At the moment all I know is that I have tried the medium size and yes is the men's cycle.

regards
Neil
nchesh

Post by nchesh »

Hi Paulatic

I really only have room for a 6ft shed which i'm sure it will fit just wanted to make sure

Neil
Samuel D

Post by Samuel D »

The medium has 440 mm chain stays, a 659 mm front centre, and a 70 mm bottom bracket drop. That makes the wheelbase about 1108 mm.

Do you know what tyres the bicycle has? Evans says “Kenda K-west 700 x 38c” and “Continental Sport Contact II, 42c” on the same page!

Assuming the latter, the bicycle would be about 1820 mm long in total. That’s just a hair under 6'. Does this 6' shed have precisely 6' of interior length? Of course you may be able to turn the handlebar a bit to save some inches of length, or put the bicycle diagonally across the shed, or lift up the front wheel against the rear wall to make it shorter, etc.
nchesh

Post by nchesh »

HI samuel

The 6ft dimension is the extreme outside dimension but i'm sure the handle bars will turn enough to fit, hopefully. As for the tyres i'm not sure I might try and ring them and confirm either way.

Thanks for sparing me the time, it seemed rather silly that I couldn't see the basic overall dimensions and when I asked Evans they were a vague 'about' 2 metres.

Regards
Neil
Samuel D

Post by Samuel D »

You’re welcome. Worst-case scenario you could take off the front wheel for storage, although I don’t think it will come to that.
nchesh

Post by nchesh »

Hi Samuel

Having a rethink about where the shed goes see if I can fit a 7ft one in, only 10 pound more so fingers crossed.

Again thanks for your help.

Neil
RickH

Post by RickH »

When I got a new shed I got several of these (although much cheaper as Evans had them in a sale at the time) to store bikes vertically.

They take up much less floor space, especially the tandem!
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
nchesh

Post by nchesh »

Interesting idea, but quite expensive, was looking at adding brackets to the walls for storage so may be able to hang on the wall at an angle
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

if you can walk inside the shed without banging your head and 6-10" clearance under the ridge, then there is usually enough room to hang a bike up vertically. If there is (or can be added) a stout piece of timber running under the roof apex, a cheap solution is to screw a big plastic coated hook into that and to hang the bike up by the front wheel.

Another route is to put a hook part way up one wall, and then to hook the front wheel into that, so that the bike sits at an angle with the rear wheel on the floor. If the angle gets to ~45 degrees then the length required is substantially smaller.

Worst case is that you remove the front wheel when storing the bike. Even this isn't too bad, the front wheel usually comes out easily. Most bikes will sit happily with the handlebars and fork tips on the ground, and the rear wheel in the air.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
RickH

Post by RickH »

There are relatively inexpensive hooks you can get, some are hinged so you can have the bike at (almost) any angle to the walls.

Vertical space will depend on the shed roof design, common ones are "pent" (single slope) & "apex" (double slope). The parts where the roof is lowest may not be high enough for a vertical bike there, check the dimensions if possible before ordering. I got a "Dutch barn" style one as it had sufficient height in the middle for a tandem vertically. (And also liked the look of it! :D )

DSC_0294-800x450.JPG
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Samuel D

Post by Samuel D »

Hold on! I put the numbers in the wrong place in Pythagoras’ theorem, as any sanity check would have shown me. The correct length of the bicycle is about 1800 mm with the bigger tyres, not 1820 mm. That’s a hair under 5'11". Maybe that makes all the difference? Or maybe not, but I needed to correct that.
nchesh

Post by nchesh »

Hi Thanks for the ideas, the shed is a basic 'Pent' style, unfortunately cost being the primary factor there and where its got to go. I am leaning towards putting a piece of ply across the back and adding hooks where needed to out the bike at an angle. I am also looking at going for a 7ft shed instead of a 6ft shed, but I am slightly restrained because of where its going, will check again tonight.

There seems to be various options for both horizontal and vertical solutions so will keep looking, but all ideas are welcome.

Just a further thought, not sure where this should go at the moment. My last bike was left in another shed which seemed fine but because of various reasons, I hadn't used the bike for a while and unfortunately rusted the chain and the axles/bearings making it to expensive to repair. I am storing this in a new shed but want to know what ideas for maintenance people have to stop this risk, I do intend to use the bike daily once purchased but any ideas would be welcome

Neil