Ryanair bike policy

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Rob_Judge

Ryanair bike policy

Post by Rob_Judge »

Hi There,
I am flying Bristol- Mallorca soon on Ryanair. Rather than my original plan of hiring I have now decided to take my own bike. I have just read the small print regarding sports equipment https://contactform.ryanair.com/?cr=2-5&lg=en&id=31
and nearly collapsed.....I am reading their policy as being able to take a bike for £60 (booked online) up to a weight of 20kg. The max weight is 30kg but I need to pay £10/kg for the extra - That's £160 one way!! (assuming that my bike box and bike weigh 30kg in total).
Easyjet offer 32kg for £42. https://www.easyjet.com/en/terms-and-conditions/fees

Does anyone have any recent experience with flying RyanAir with a bike? Will they charge you for the excess?
Thanks in advance.
TrevA

Re: Ryanair bike policy

Post by TrevA »

If it's a road bike, then you should be under the 20kg limit anyway even with a padded bag or cardboard box. My Aluminium road bike is 10kg and my bike bag is 6kg, so I still have capacity to put pedals, tools, and a bit of extra padding in the bag and still be under 20kg. I've even taken a spare back wheel and still been under 20kg in the past. A cardboard bike box will only weigh 3-4kg.

It's only if you use a hard case or have a heavy touring bike or MTB that you will go over 20kg.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

IME Ryanair are the pits,they're the worst airline anyone could fly with in Europe.
I would only give them my custom as a last resort,total profiteering cowboy outfit,and you'd better not be a gram over or youll get hammered,you've been warned.
I'd take my own pedals and hire a bike on Mallorca,someone will be along shortly with good advice on which shops are best to hire from.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Maybe you can explain why your bike and box weigh 30kgs. Is it a hard case?

My Surly LHT with a fairly heavy duty build and sprung saddle, in a cardboard box, comes out at 18 - 19 kgs, depending on size of box.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Recently flew Jet2 to Malaga and bike with box came in at 22kg, admittedly with a few extras thrown in (no hold luggage so toiletries and tools, shoes and helmet).
When we took touring bikes to Spain in cardboard boxes we managed to come in at 18kg.. well that's what we told BA and they did not bother to weigh them :lol:

Frankly at that price tis far easier to hire in Mallorca; Velosportmallorca is our choice but others are available

Oh and don't forget you have to get bike and self to resort... that will also cost extra in my experience.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
horizon

Post by horizon »

reohn2 wrote:IME Ryanair are the pits,they're the worst airline anyone could fly with in Europe.

Most of my recent flights have been with Ryanair and they'been 100% OK. The two cabin-bag policy is generous IMV, they don't check it and the total price is unbelievably cheap.

Which only goes to prove that everyone has different experiences and mine was based on the assumption it would be awful and it wasn't actually that bad.

And which also goes to prove that not taking a bike may actually be a better idea - Ryanair really ramped up the price.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

horizon wrote:
reohn2 wrote:IME Ryanair are the pits,they're the worst airline anyone could fly with in Europe.

Most of my recent flights have been with Ryanair and they'been 100% OK. The two cabin-bag policy is generous IMV, they don't check it and the total price is unbelievably cheap.

Which only goes to prove that everyone has different experiences and mine was based on the assumption it would be awful and it wasn't actually that bad.

And which also goes to prove that not taking a bike may actually be a better idea - Ryanair really ramped up the price.

Good job they don't run a train service :wink:
The last time I flew Ryanair I was met with a €40 surcharge on the return flight for not downloading and printing off a piece of paper,no amount of explaining would satisfy booking in staff that their rule had come into force whilst I was on holiday between outward and return flights :twisted:
If you ever get the chance have a chat with anyone who works for them,your eyes maybe opened and your jaw dropped when they tell you of their employment contracts.
It's no coincidence they had so much trouble finding pilots last year they had to cancel over a hundred flights in a couple of months.
W H Auden
horizon

Post by horizon »

reohn2 wrote:If you ever get the chance have a chat with anyone who works for them,your eyes maybe opened and your jaw dropped when they tell you of their employment contracts.

That doesn't surprise me at all - I really was fearing the worst and had put off flying with them for years. But fair's fair, it was OK.

Back to bikes, Ryanair was like a fox having seen a rabbit - they just went in for the kill.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Well I'm off to corfu flying with Ryanair a week on Saturday, £19.99 each way, I reserved the seats (£3 each) when I booked the flights and I've printed the boarding passes. I don't get these moaners who pay for cheap flights and then constantly moan about having to pay a bit extra to reserve a seat. We'll be hiring bikes when we get there!
Maybe some people should try being self employed, we've got no rights at all.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

horizon wrote: .......Back to bikes, Ryanair was like a fox having seen a rabbit - they just went in for the kill.

Yep that sounds like Ryanair :evil:
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

philvantwo wrote:Well I'm off to corfu flying with Ryanair a week on Saturday, £19.99 each way, I reserved the seats (£3 each) when I booked the flights and I've printed the boarding passes. I don't get these moaners who pay for cheap flights and then constantly moan about having to pay a bit extra to reserve a seat. We'll be hiring bikes when we get there!
Maybe some people should try being self employed, we've got no rights at all.

I was self employed for 30 years so I know how you feel.
As for moaning about Ryanair,it's about 6years since I was charged €40 extra for nothing more than their change of rules,and vowed then that I'd only fly with them if I must.
I've never needed to since then,but with their track record since and a litany of problems.I'd be concerned if I had to fly with them again as to what rabbit they pull from their surcharge hat next,such as the hundreds of flights they cancelled last year(or was it 2016)when they announced most of their pilots had "booked holidays" all at the same time :?
My point being can I trust Ryanair to fulfil their side of a bargain,admittedly they must do for many but it's not a worry I don't want coming back home from another country,and frankly I'd rather put a one in front of the £19.99 for piece of mind.
W H Auden
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

whatever happened to ryanair for that mega cancelled flights fiasco?

I have a vague memory that europe was going to have a go at them?

Did anything happen?

Most folks would see it as a simple case of shysters/breach of contract.

But maybe ryanair has sheet hot lawyers.
Sweep
Graham O

Post by Graham O »

I flew with Ryanair last year and after a bit of reading the small print and talking to the help desk, if you declare your sports equipment as a bike, and pay the bike supplement the max weight is 32kg with no limit on the size. They also were not bothered about anything other than the bike being in the bag. However, it did take some persistence as many of their help desk staff did not know the true company policy.

Hope that helps.
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

I flew the Mallorca with Ryanair last year and the bike plus Track pump plus all my gear inside a BikeboxAllan Box came nowhere near the stated maximum!
The only things not in the box were my Passport,Toiletries and some snacks!
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

you could send via courier to mallorca 115x25x68 15kg that'd be enough space for frame and a front wheel+ guards and rack+bits, cost £38, carry rear wheel. Whole bike as two parcels would be £59 (based on 68x20x68 for rear wheel box)
just a thought and not have to find an expensive bike box nor deal with the 'chuckers' at the airport.
Last edited by The utility cyclist on 13 Apr 2018, 6:57pm, edited 1 time in total.