TdF Sportive - First Time - Need Bike Advice

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
ussasx

TdF Sportive - First Time - Need Bike Advice

Post by ussasx »

Hey guys,
I have been a long term lurker trying to build my knowledge, but not taken the time to contribute much - apologies for that!

However I have recently signed up to the 84 km leg of the tour de yorkshire on 6th May and am in need of some help / advice.
I am mostly a leisure rider; tracks, off road, tow paths etc - very rarely roads and when i do not for distance. As a casual leisure rider I ride a whyte 806 which i have been really pleased with.

However the bike is not going to be suitable for this or other events i may take part in moving forward so have been looking at a second bike.

I'm quite keen on the Boardman CX Comp and am leaning towards this as i think it will be a big step up over the Whyte in terms of road miles, whilst still fitting with the type of cycling I usually enjoy.
My other option was looking at the Giant Contend 2 as a seemingly well favoured entry road bike.

Whilst there are probably other options, these are the two bikes that are available locally on an offer i can afford (used at around £300) and can get hold of quick enough to get some rides in before the event.

My main issue and where im needing help :/
I assume the boardman CX is going to be a big step up on the whyte for road miles especially when i fit road tyres?
Is my decision to get a CX to gain versatility going to make my life a lot harder when it comes to the road events?
What are your general opinions as to my options?

As a note - im not bothered about time. Its for charity and my goal is just to hit the finish line!
foxyrider

Re: TdF Sportive - First Time - Need Bike Advice

Post by foxyrider »

My CX bike often does road rides of well over 100km, sometimes loaded up with overnight or even camping gear. For an all round bike you can't go far wrong. It is not the bike I'd chose to ride sportives on, I would at a push but I have other, lighter, dare I say, more comfortable bikes, for tackling the sportives I ride. Speed certainly isn't everything but hauling more than you need to about doesn't make for much fun either.

If you think you might be tackling more sportives in the future I'd go for the Giant, if its a one off and you intend hitting the trails the Boardman could be a better bet. The 200km event I'm riding next week will have a few starters on flatbars and more 'robust' machines but I've never seen any of them complete the event, just an observation, they start out strong but after the first hour are already starting to struggle with comfort and fatigue. If the bikes are both local I'd suggest going to have a sit on them, sizing and position can easily make or break your ride.

I shall be at Leeds myself, I'm doing the long course up to Richmond but i'll be doing it on a 7.5kg road bike and not my lumpy CX that I generally train on. Good luck on the ride.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Jay Gee

Post by Jay Gee »

It may take you a while to get used to a drop bar bike, and get it set up so it is comfortable for you.

I would do it on your Whyte (perhaps with slick tyres) and then, if the sportive bug gets you, treat yourself to a road bike afterwards.
ussasx

Post by ussasx »

I went out for a trial ride on my Whyte at the weekend and did a 50km circuit. I found this quite a challange especially on the uphills, and with wind and an upright position was not getting much speed on the downhills. I therefore thought something lighter than the whyte, with drops for the aerodynamic downhills would offer that improvement.
I guess i could shove some slicks on the whyte and give it a go at the weekend to see how much difference i get on the uphill.

The CX is probably 1.5 kg lighter than the Whyte whilst being probably 1kg heavier than the giant.

Either way i know the biggest thing is getting as much practice in over the next month and my fitness levels - its noot all in the bike.
Marcus Aurelius

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

CX bikes are pretty much designed for sport CX rides, an actual sport.

Try this

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/ultra-520-a ... 90785.html

Stunning value for money. A great bike.

There may not be any left online in your size, but they may have some in store.