Getting used to Clipless Pedals

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
nayaksrinivasv

Getting used to Clipless Pedals

Post by nayaksrinivasv »

Hello Cycling UK Team Members,

This is my first post and I am new to clipless pedals. I have Broadman Hybrid Team Pedals but i dont know how do I get used to clipless pedals without a fall and without losing a limb. I have already had mine on the first ride(fortunately not so serious) but now trying to understand how to get used to clipless pedals.

Are there any ideas that will help? Like using only one side of the clipon etc etc?

Regards,

Srinivas
pjclinch

Re: Getting used to Clipless Pedals

Post by pjclinch »

Prop yourself against a wall and practice clipping in, and out, and in, and out, and in, and out, and in, and out, and in, and out, and in, and out, and in, and out, and in, and out, and in, and out, and in, and out, and in, and out (I think you have the idea now)... Do that so you can easily (dis)engage on both sides.

When actually riding it's always good to be thinking ahead anyway, and your new pedals will heighten your abilities here as you think in advance of when you'll have to stop and get a foot out before you arrive. Practice makes... closer to perfect.

Most of us that have used clipless (or indeed clips and straps) have had a comedy topple-over every now and then, but you won't lose a limb, just a bit of pride. After a little while they're second nature and you don't really have to think about them.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

Practice by putting your bike against a wall, getting on, clipping one foot in, then lean against the wall and clip your other foot in, then practice clipping in and clipping out several times. Clipping in is a gentle stamping motion, clip out by twisting your heel outwards. You can also practice by riding on grass, so that if you fall off you won't hurt yourself.

You'll find that you have a favoured foot for unclipping when you come to a stop. I keep my right foot clipped in and always unclip my left foot at junctions, etc. You can also adjust the tension on your pedals to make it easier to clip out. It can also help to clip out before you come to a stop. Don't worry too much about clipping in with your other foot when setting off. It is often better to get a bit of speed up before clipping in your second foot.

Edit - cross posted with pjc.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
Thornyone

Post by Thornyone »

Never did get used to them. Sold the pair I bought years ago and have used toe clips ever since and been much happier :lol:
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Practice makes - well fewer comedy falls!

After over 40 years of first toe clips and cleats and then various different step in pedal systems you'd think i'd be fairly good at clipping in and out. But of course you sometimes forget that you are firmly attached to the bike and then get in a panic at a junction. That said i'm lost without them.

So as others have said, practice, plan and repeat. Don't overthink things and you'll be fine and soon be wondering how you ever coped without them.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
freiston

Post by freiston »

They're a godsend when you pull off from a junction and get cramp in one leg :wink:
My advice is same as has already been posted.
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Hi and welcome, as above on a stationary trainer or against a wall, practise so you get the technique right... then go out and ride. As said you need to think ahead slightly when approaching junctions /places where you might need to unclip... but it is a good habit to get into...
For the record I put mine on my commute bike.... stopping and starting at a variety of traffic lights thru Leamington Spa quickly got me used to doing it..... almost better than the oft given advise of going for a ride on a quiet cycle path somewhere.... because you do not have the opportunity for multiple unclippings on those... (in general).

Yes you will have some comedic fails... but again as above, only denting your pride..
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

Thornyone wrote:Never did get used to them. Sold the pair I bought years ago and have used toe clips ever since and been much happier :lol:

I prefer toe clips as well. Usable with any shoe as well, and for me buying shoes that fit is always a problem. Much of my recent cycling has been done with cheap Aldi shoes bought some years ago!
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

I do hope that you had a mate or two with you when it went wrong. One of the pleasures of cycling, laughing at your mates first clipless topple.
You'll get used to them, just practice a lot and hope your mates see the next one.
the_twin

Post by the_twin »

If they're SPD pedals the multi release cleats (Shimano SH56 - cost about £9) are easier to get out as they release if you twist the foot in any direction rather than only outwards. Also make sure you have the retention force on the pedals set low (there's an Allen key adjuster on each side).
nayaksrinivasv

Post by nayaksrinivasv »

Thank you all for your quick replies. Are Shimano PD400 pedals better than normal SPD ones? Am thinking if I should replace my Broadman SPD s with a new one?
the_twin

Post by the_twin »

Don't know about those pedals. If you don't have multi release cleats, that would be the first thing to think about changing. You should try getting used to the ones you have I think. Everybody has the same early experiences of the occasional comedy toppling over. You could practice in the park on some grass to avoid landing in the road until you develop the necessary brain-foot instinctive pathway.
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

Having ridden SPD pedals for 25+ years I've still had moments with them but rarely, I had my first moment after 2 minutes of riding :oops: but I'm so used to them now that I usually come to a complete stop before I unclip.
Thornyone

Post by Thornyone »

MikeF wrote:I prefer toe clips as well. Usable with any shoe as well, and for me buying shoes that fit is always a problem. Much of my recent cycling has been done with cheap Aldi shoes bought some years ago!

The only problem I experience with toe clips at present is when it is damp. Unlike my previous Shimano shoes (or the old Diadora pair I use in very cold weather) the current shoes have an attached nylon cleat, which can sometimes slip a bit when wet, meaning a couple of attempts. Years ago I had some Tioga clip pedals and they were the easiest to slip into I have had. Must investigate some different shoes, though the problem is a minor irritation rather than a safety issue.
Thornyone

Post by Thornyone »

the_twin wrote:If they're SPD pedals the multi release cleats (Shimano SH56 - cost about £9) are easier to get out as they release if you twist the foot in any direction rather than only outwards. Also make sure you have the retention force on the pedals set low (there's an Allen key adjuster on each side).

I think that a big part of my problem with them was that the pair I had, many years ago, were outward-only release and with strong retention force, but it probably also was due in part to being so used to just whipping my foot back to release from a standard toe clip (and I never have straps tight on them).