Aldi cycling stuff april 29

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Sweep

Aldi cycling stuff april 29

Post by Sweep »

Apparently, though I have no idea what's in it.
Sweep
Redvee

Re: Aldi cycling stuff april 29

Post by Redvee »

Showing on the app as being available 29/04 but no details yet.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Yes. And I think other cycling specials are due soon on other days.

One thing I would avoid is the shoes, unless they have vastly improved. Waste of money.
Sweep
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hoi,
Sweep wrote:Yes. And I think other cycling specials are due soon on other days.

One thing I would avoid is the shoes, unless they have vastly improved. Waste of money.

I had two pairs of lidl shoes sold about over ten years ago, still using mine every week for 100+ miles of heavy work.

But the Aldi sole cracked into the spd and only noticed when I developed foot pain..........the other pair when I came to use were defective because the sole was not bonded well enough to use.................

Pity you can not still buy the old Lidl ones.............wish I'd bought more at the time.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
toontra

Post by toontra »

The quality of the ALDI & LIDL cycle gear has dropped so significantly in the last 10 years that it's not really worth buying any more. Used to be good, long-lasting stuff, especially the ALDI shoes, jackets and gloves that would last for years with daily use, but now it's just cheap tat that breaks or falls apart in short order. Shame really. :(
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

I would disagree with that toontra. Still some decent stuff now and again.

My aldi shoes also went on the soles as above.

Only £20 or so but expensive at any price.
Sweep
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Lidl have just given my a full refund on some mouldy food plus an extra £10 vouchers.

I wonder If I badger them on their cycling stuff whether they would stock better stuff, quoting some is excellent and some pants..........
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

That's very good of them.

I well remember taking some food item back to Safeways once that had insects in the packaging - was expecting compensation/hush money - they just took it back.

Lidl have been doing some interesting lights of late.

Their wine gums are an excellent bonk avoiding boost.

And their strong vintage cider - over 7 per cent, not much more than £1 a bottle, is excellent for post ride recovery in the sun.
Sweep
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
Lidl have just given my a full refund on some mouldy food plus an extra £10 vouchers.

I wonder If I badger them on their cycling stuff whether they would stock better stuff, quoting some is excellent and some pants..........

well I did pass comment on their new lights viz the packaging didnt make clear that there were manual modes not just the auto mode ( which was a new feature this year). Also lamented the missing battery lights year. They said they would pass my comments onto their buying dept.
LinusR

Post by LinusR »

A cycle trailer for 85 quid! https://www.aldi.co.uk/bikemate-children%27s-bike-trailer/p/096137209100400 I'm minded to get this to transport stuff like bulky items that won't fit in the saddlebag and for the same price as a large saddlebag. Anyone know anything about the brand? Is this Aldi own brand?

[edit] and a bike repair stand for 25 quid https://www.aldi.co.uk/bikemate-bike-repair-stand/p/095970196813700
mjr

Post by mjr »

LinusR wrote:Anyone know anything about the brand? Is this Aldi own brand?

Yes, bike mate is their store brand. I've been unhappy with the design of their panniers which didn't last a month before clips broke.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Called in to Aldi today - steak, new potatoes, cauliflower, broccoli and mange tout for dinner, but I digress.

Bought a pair of padded boxer type undershorts £4.99; cycle shorts £7.99: and rain trousers £9.99.

Obviously no time to test, but I wanted the undershorts and they seem OK for casual under baggy shorts use, should last a summer. The cycle shorts also seem OK, but they are mainly a cheap extra set for when I tour in countries where you can't buy them. Rain trousers to wear as leggings if it rains or is cold on next tour. Rain not normally a problem for me, but I'm heading off for a short tour in N France so only want something cheap.

I have used (and been happy with) their mitts for a while, but the ones they are selling at the moment have the gel padding in the wrong place. Its all on the edges.

Didn't look at anything else so can't comment.
Annoying Twit

Post by Annoying Twit »

I had a look but couldn't see anything I wanted. I was hoping for reflective tops, but didn't see any. Maybe I was exceptionally blind, but the whole point of reflective tops is that they should be easy to spot.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Annoying Twit wrote:I had a look but couldn't see anything I wanted. I was hoping for reflective tops, but didn't see any. Maybe I was exceptionally blind, but the whole point of reflective tops is that they should be easy to spot.

Reminds me of Tommy Cooper's gag,
"I went shopping for a pair of camouflage trousers. But I couldn't see any."
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
nick12

Post by nick12 »

Gt85
worth getting £1.99.
The clothing like many are saying is not what it was before. Same price but quality and materials not as good.