mixed components

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Garfie

mixed components

Post by Garfie »

Hi
Im new here and wonder if I could get some reassurance? I got a new for me bike today and it has a mix of components, like ultegra gear levers,campaq callipers and fsa chainset. I only noticed this evening that the front wheel hub is 105 and the rear Tiagra. I'm worried now that they've done this to hide something? or am I worrying.
Thanks Mandy
chris_suffolk

Re: mixed components

Post by chris_suffolk »

Hi, welcome.

If it's a new bike - what is it - Make, Model? Might help shed some light
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

"New for me " usually means secondhand.

Who is they and are you worried in case you’ve bought something built with stolen parts?
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
pwa

Post by pwa »

Lots of us "make" our bikes from separate components. And we often end up with an Ultegra something or other combined with a Tiagra thingy. So long as the components are "compatible" there is nothing wrong with that. If it works it is fine.
Last edited by pwa on 19 Apr 2018, 6:58am, edited 1 time in total.
freiston

Post by freiston »

I take it that it is second hand. It's probably replacement or upgraded parts, chosen according to what was available/what was a good deal/what was considered up to the job. I doubt that it is an attempt at subterfuge (unless it was described differently by the seller).

I dare say that a lot of folk on this board have bikes with a mixture of components. My bike came new with an FSA chainset, Sora front changer, Tiagra rear changer, SRAM cassette and chain, and Microshift shifters. The wheels were both Tiagra hubs with Alex rims but I've replaced the front wheel with a dynamo hub on an Exal rim. That imho provides a cost effective and capable bike.
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
Samuel D

Post by Samuel D »

It might have been thrown together to use up whatever collection of components a shop or serial bike buyer had lying around (which doesn’t mean it’s bad but there is that risk).

Or it might have been painstakingly researched and built by a technically inclined person who knew exactly what they wanted. In this case it’s likely to work very well although perhaps not to your precise tastes (exactly as with any bike from a big factory).

In no case would the mix of components be to hide something, since everything is out in the open for any buyer to see. Was the bicycle bought for you by someone else?

The brand names you list are all high quality.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

in many restaurants there is a dish on the menu that is basically made from leftovers. Often (if the chef is any good) it is the tastiest and most interesting thing they sell, and is cracking value to boot.

Your bike could be like that.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Garfie

Post by Garfie »

Thanks for the replies.
I was just curious as I've only had one bike before and that was all the same. yep its second hand upgraded cube bike.
its comfy looks ok and now has my pedals and saddle ones I'm happier
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

A minor point, but Campag brakes have their quick release on the levers, and Shimano have the quick release on the calipers. So with Campag calipers and Shimano levers, you won't have a quick release for the brakes. This is only an issue if you are using wider tyres - 25mm+
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

depends how old they are

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~