Helmet Straps

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
climo

Helmet Straps

Post by climo »

Pleeease don't start the great helmet debate. I choose to wear one - end of.

Question is, how far can you push your helmet back & up towards the scalp? I'm trying on a new Smith Rover but no matter how I adjust the straps I can expose my forehead when the maximum lift is supposed to be 1 inch. The cradle fit is fine and overall the helmet is comfy.
It's difficult to find a shop with a good selection in to try so I ended up buying online :(
mjr

Re: Helmet Straps

Post by mjr »

climo wrote:Question is, how far can you push your helmet back & up towards the scalp? I'm trying on a new Smith Rover but no matter how I adjust the straps I can expose my forehead when the maximum lift is supposed to be 1 inch. The cradle fit is fine and overall the helmet is comfy.

If you can push it back that much more than the manufacturer's manual says, the fit is absolutely not fine and I suspect it makes it much more likely to cause harm in a crash. Helmets are made for the mass market and anyone with unusual requirements (head size, shape or amount/lack of hair) has a severely restricted choice. Hopefully your online purchase can be returned under the Distance Selling Regulations easily.

If you are determined to wear one (maybe you need it to meet BC's arbitrary clothing rules, for example), maybe someone can suggest a shop near Warminster that stocks a decent variety of shapes to try before you buy.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

It really should sit within 1" of your eyebrows and not lift or otherwise move very much. 1 cm in any direction is okay.

How I fit/adjust my helmet:
-put it on my head so that the front sits over my eyebrows & within 1" of them
-tighten the back so that it doesn't move much when I turn or nod my head quickly
-adjust the straps so that the 'y' on each side just goes around my ear and there is clearance for approximately two fingers in side the strap with me

Certainly, if it lifts by an inch, it does not fit well, and a helmet sitting too high up increases the risk of neck injury in a crash. You may be able to get it to fit better with some pad inserts. The company you purchased the helmet from may have some available.

My head is a bit narrow, and I have a hard time finding helmets that fit. Also, if they are too heavy, they become uncomfortable on a long ride. Conseuqently, I might try 50 or 60 helmets before I find one I am happy with.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
mjr

Post by mjr »

Why is this not in the helmet forum, which is described as "bringing together all the helmet threads in one place"?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
I struggle to find a helmet (I always get "L", big head :mrgreen: ) that fits comfortably.
And its always low on my brow , I mean its a good fit otherwise I would not buy it, that is its within 1".

I see many on TV celebs etc with very poor fitting helmets.

I am not entering into the do you wear one etc thanks. :wink:
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

mjr wrote:Why is this not in the helmet forum, which is described as "bringing together all the helmet threads in one place"?

The helmet subforum is under 'Campaigning & Public policy'. As long as this remains a question about helmet fitting, and doesn't turn into yet another helmet debate, it is in the correct forum.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
mjr

Post by mjr »

Vorpal wrote:
mjr wrote:Why is this not in the helmet forum, which is described as "bringing together all the helmet threads in one place"?

The helmet subforum is under 'Campaigning & Public policy'. As long as this remains a question about helmet fitting, and doesn't turn into yet another helmet debate, it is in the correct forum.

But this one is yet another helmet debate/campaign, starting from the very first paragraph. It's just that the posters debating it are pretending they're not, in a cold-war style.

The helmet subforum's description says "all the helmet threads" not "all the helmet debate threads" because almost all helmet threads are campaigning, like this one trying to say it's only a routine equipment question and I think trying to deter the obvious answer: if it's difficult to get a helmet that fits correctly, then stop wasting time on the at-best-generally-ineffective things and cycle traditionally instead!
climo

Post by climo »

mjr wrote:
Vorpal wrote:

But this one is yet another helmet debate/campaign, starting from the very first paragraph. It's just that the posters debating it are pretending they're not, in a cold-war style.

The helmet subforum's description says "all the helmet threads" not "all the helmet debate threads" because almost all helmet threads are campaigning, like this one trying to say it's only a routine equipment question and I think trying to deter the obvious answer: if it's difficult to get a helmet that fits correctly, then stop wasting time on the at-best-generally-ineffective things and cycle traditionally instead!

I hadn't wanted to start a do I / don't I war and tbh had forgotten about the sub forum. It was meant as a request for info only. If you don't agree with the thread subject why read it and why bother to reply? Why be so aggressive about a request for help?
climo

Post by climo »

Thanks to all the people who gave me the benefit of their experience. It's obviously the wrong helmet and I guess I'll keep looking.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

mjr wrote:But this one is yet another helmet debate/campaign, starting from the very first paragraph. It's just that the posters debating it are pretending they're not, in a cold-war style.

You are the only one turning this into a campaigning thread. Otherwise, as far as I am concerned, it might as well be about fitting shoes.
mjr

Post by mjr »

climo wrote:I hadn't wanted to start a do I / don't I war and tbh had forgotten about the sub forum. It was meant as a request for info only. If you don't agree with the thread subject why read it and why bother to reply? Why be so aggressive about a request for help?

I'm not being aggressive about the request and I've no problem with the thread subject as such. I just don't like how this one's been allowed to escape the helmet forum.
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

climo wrote:Thanks to all the people who gave me the benefit of their experience. It's obviously the wrong helmet and I guess I'll keep looking.

Don't be snobbish about going into Halfords - try several on, if you don't find 'owt have a look at e.g. Evans. I usually set a budget of about £30 for mine, and either of these outlets usually have several to choose from oe have one in the sale. The type with the "dial-in" thingy across the back seem to be the best (for me, anyway). Otherwise as someone else has said, position the hat properly(rim about an inch above your eyebrows), dial-in the adjuster until its comfy and the hat doesn't move when you move your head, then adjust the straps as per one of the earlier posts.

Something I did with my last one was to pick a hat with a peak, then try it on and see how effective the peak was at keeping the overhead spotlight in Evans' showroom out of my eyes!
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

mjr wrote:
climo wrote:I hadn't wanted to start a do I / don't I war and tbh had forgotten about the sub forum. It was meant as a request for info only. If you don't agree with the thread subject why read it and why bother to reply? Why be so aggressive about a request for help?

I'm not being aggressive about the request and I've no problem with the thread subject as such. I just don't like how this one's been allowed to escape the helmet forum.

Because it’s not a ghetto subject.

It’s equivalent to a shoe fitting question... when you wear sandals.

If a lid is free to move with just your hands pushing it around then it will move around when (if) you need it to stay still...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.