Footpump

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
danfoto

Footpump

Post by danfoto »

I don't ask for much of life nowadys, but I would dearly love a single-barrel footpump that works efficiently, isn't so flimsy that you have to consciously keep pumping in exactly the right plane lest it collapse sideways, and which has a Schader connector of the lever type.

Does such a thing actually exist?
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
Brucey

Re: Footpump

Post by Brucey »

new? Probably not. I have a few Aerite and Dunlop models that I keep going mainly because modern ones are so terrible.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

danfoto wrote:I don't ask for much of life nowadys, but I would dearly love a single-barrel footpump that works efficiently, isn't so flimsy that you have to consciously keep pumping in exactly the right plane lest it collapse sideways, and which has a Schader connector of the lever type.
Single barrel?
Lever type?

I bought a double barrel one with a screw-on some years ago .......... for the car.
Michelin thingy from Halfords.
Works fine, though the CR2032 batteries don't last long - I think there's an electrical leakage somewhere that flattens them, so I pull out the battery tray when I've finished. That seems to work fine.

http://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/ ... l-footpump
Mick F. Cornwall
danfoto

Post by danfoto »

The reason it has to be a lever-type connector is my arthritic thumbs cannot manage the screw on ones.

I'm getting a sinking feeling that the only new ones generally available are going to be that Michelin one (out because of the connector) and the usual Sealey-branded Chinese ones. We have one of the latter and it's so flimp it tends to distort the frame when in use ... :roll:
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

A quick search shows there’s loads of twin cylinder pumps.
This is supposed to be German made single. https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2062689336
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

Why single barrel? Double barrel tend to be much more stable.... but they do take up more storage space.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

double barreled pumps are (in essence) twice as fast a low pressures (which is good for car tyres) but also require twice the force which is more of an issue at pressures over ~30psi. A single barreled model is fast enough for bike tyres and is easier at high pressures.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
danfoto

Post by danfoto »

I'm not sure quite how "German" that Heyner one is given that it's made in China, isn't TUV approved and apparently isn't CE marked, but it seems to be the best of a bad lot. Thanks chaps.