Newbie question, which bike?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Chrismuzz

Newbie question, which bike?

Post by Chrismuzz »

Hi,
I would like to take up cycling but only at home on a smart trainer which would allow most of my family to participate using their own bikes. I am looking at two bikes and wondered if one would be better than the other for this. I have looked at a wahoo kickr to use this with along with Zwift.
Any help would be appreciated as I am completely new to this! Many thanks

The two bikes are a pinnacle laterite 3 with the following
Frame: 6061-T6 heat treated aluminium w/ double-butted tubes
Fork: Carbon blade, straight 1-1/8 alloy steerer w/ mudguard mounts
Front Derailleur: Shimano 105 5800 31
8mm band on
Rear Derailleur: Shimano 105 5800 11 speed
Number of Gears: 22
Shifters: Shimano 105 5800
Chain set: Prowheel Ounce 721, 50-34T, S/M - 170mm, L/XL - 175mm
Bottom Bracket: Prowheel BB-68 external threaded
Cassette: Shimano 105 5800 11-28T
Chain: KMC X11
Pedals: Supplied
Brakeset: Tektro R315 dual pivot, 57mm drop
Bar Tape: Pinnacle Cork
Handlebars: Pinnacle 6061 alloy 125mm drop, 80mm reach, width

And a Felt FR50

Frame: Felt Race Road SuperLite Custom Butted 6061 aluminum, Dynaform TIG-welded construction
Fork: Felt Race Road UHC Performance carbon fiber blades, ControlTaper 1.125|| - 1.5|| aluminum steer tube
Rear Shock: N/A
Headset: 51 - 61cm: FSA NO.38/42, 1.125|| - 1.5|| sealed cartridge bearing
Stem: Felt VariableAngle, ± 8°/16° rise, Ø31.8mm: 51cm = 90mm, 54 - 56cm = 100mm, 58=110mm, 61=120mm
Bars: Felt Ergonomic SL Road, short 65mm reach, 125mm drop, Ø31.8mm: 51cm = 400mm, 54 - 56cm = 420mm, 58 - 61cm = 440mmFelt VelvetGel Tape with 3M Reflective BaseFelt Bubble-Tech ||F Wing||
Front Brake: Dual pivot caliper
Rear Brake: Dual pivot caliper
Brake Lever: Shimano Sora
Front Mech: Shimano Sora clamp-on, Ø31.8mm
Rear Mech: Shimano Sora short cage
Shifters: Shimano Sora
Speed: 18
Rims: Felt Road RSL3 (tubeless ready), 22mm Width, 24mm Depth
Front Hub: Felt R4, sealed bearing, 28H
Rear Hub: Shimano, sealed bearing, 32H, 9-speed (10-speed compatible)
Spokes: 2.0mm stainless steel
Front Tyre: Schwalbe LUGANO K-Guard, 700c x 25c
Rear Tyre: Schwalbe LUGANO K-Guard, 700c x 25c
Seat Post: Felt SuperLite Road, Ø27.2mm, 330mm length
Chainset: Shimano R345

51-54cm = 170mm
56-61cm = 175mmShimano 50/34T
Bottom Bracket: Shimano Octalink, 68 x 113mm
Chain: KMC 9-Speed
Cassette: SunRace 9-speed, 11-28T
Pedals: n/a
Weight: 9.6kg, 21.2lbs.
neilob

Re: Newbie question, which bike?

Post by neilob »

Keeping a bike anchored to a turbo and solely used for indoor training is a bit like caging a wild animal! But to your question, there are so many choices out there. And frankly if you aren’t planning to use it on the road anything with a similar spec to the ones listed and that fits would do the job. Don’t forget to get a turbo tyre if the turbo is the type that requires a rear wheel.
Using a car to take an adult on a three mile journey is the same as using an atomic bomb to kill a canary.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

For that usage, an exercise bike tbh.
Chrismuzz

Post by Chrismuzz »

Thanks for the replies, I wouldn’t say I would never use the bike on the road but first thing is to shift excess weight I am carrying and have something with some competitiveness like Zwift or similar that will add a bit of motivation & enjoyment.

I had an exercise bike a good few years ago but thought going this route although quite expensive may give more enjoyment and be used by the family.

Maybe when I get more comfortable with cycling I may then look to go out but at this moment it won’t be a pretty sight!
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Personally i would go for the bike with Shimano 105 on it... it is a better group set for starters.
Most important thing is comfort, if you are only using it on a turbo initially it has to be comfortable..... believe me sitting stationary (ish) for up to an hour on a static bike is not comfy (well not for me anyway). I can do 1hr15 to 1hr30 max then it gets too uncomfy..... and that is using a bike I am comfy on on the road.

Also if you are expecting other family members to use it while static, it has to fit them as well.

I would go to a shop and try a few bikes for size and general comfort... though admittedly you will (I presume) be building up time spent in the saddle and will gradually get used to the time spent on the turbo.

If you are setting up specific turbo space, consider having a dedicated area, already set up in garage / shed / conservatory, a shelf / table / workstand where you can have to hand drinks bottle, towel. You will also need ventilation and a fan, this could either be a small one positioned on the table or floor standing one. I say have it set up already... it is far easier to get on and do it if you can just get changed and go, and not have to build the faff of getting everything set up ready into your regime.
These days we have a dedicated computer and TV (it was cheaper than buying a monitor) set up in the garage that is just dedicated to Zwift and Tacx. Oh and if using the garage or similar consider the internet connection.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Chrismuzz

Post by Chrismuzz »

Thanks eileithyia,
I will try some bikes and look at the different group sets. I am 6ft and my two eldest are exactly the same height as me so would hope they could use my bike and my youngest has a mountain bike which could be shared with my wife. I know what you mean about being comfortable having sat on a couple of road bikes a few weeks ago and the saddles were really hard, would it be worth looking for something more forgiving to start with?

I would like to make it a pleasant experience for all so making things easier in having it as a dedicated setup in our conservatory which is quite large and only having to swap,it for a mountain bike would save hassle and we hopefully can jump on and off at any point. I think I need to look a bit more into Zwift and how this would connect to a tv either through computer or Apple TV etc.

Still lots to think about but want to make as best a decision based on knowledge from the likes of yourselves on this forum which I am sure will help make up my mind.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Chrismuzz wrote:Thanks for the replies, I wouldn’t say I would never use the bike on the road but first thing is to shift excess weight I am carrying and have something with some competitiveness like Zwift or similar that will add a bit of motivation & enjoyment.

I had an exercise bike a good few years ago but thought going this route although quite expensive may give more enjoyment and be used by the family.

Maybe when I get more comfortable with cycling I may then look to go out but at this moment it won’t be a pretty sight!

My reply was a one-liner, but in fuller response, and addressing some points you've made, and also a.n.o. then I still think a s/h (likely recumbent) exercise bike would be a good start - if you need to shift some weight behind closed doors, for comfort reasons, for ease of use by the whole family, and to begin to get in shape. Then buy your bike(s) when you are ready to go outside.

eBay shows plenty that are "low mileage" and sensibly-priced, shall we say :wink:

We have one which gets used when the weather's nasty!
hayers

Post by hayers »

Just a thought to add to the mix: if you're planning on predominently turbo riding, i would imagine one of the turbo trainers where the rear wheel is removed and the chain drives the turbo mechanism direct might work out better. The roller drive ones tend to eat tyres.
slowster

Post by slowster »

Assuming you are in the UK, it's now spring, the weather is getting better and warmer and the evenings are lighter. You would be barking mad to get a bike with the intention of riding it indoors on a turbo at this time of year.

If you are looking to lose a bit (or a lot) of weight and get fitter, you will be far more likely to succeed if you make the process as pleasurable as possible. You might burn more calories and get fitter more quickly by following a structured training programme on a turbo, but the self-discipline required to stick to such a programme is hard and the whole thing can quickly turn into a tedious unpleasant chore after the initial novelty has worn off.

Far better to get a bike and just go out for a ride in the evenings and weekends. It doesn't need to be a hard ride or a long ride every time: just go with the flow and ride as hard or as easy as you feel like, and for as long or as short a distance as you feel like. Ride to the pub for a drink. Ride to the shop to pick up the ingredients for your evening meal. Use your bike to explore the area where you live. The trick is simply to keep doing it.

Providing you do it often enough, e.g. a few times a week, you will probably find that you lose weight and get fitter without consciously trying to do so. If you are very overweight and unfit, you may well find that you do not have to ride very far or fast to start losing weight and get fitter. In that sense you have an advantage over an extremely fit racer: they will already be doing lots of miles and high intensity riding, so it's much more difficult for them to squeeze any further improvements from their bodies.

As for what bike - to start with any bike as long as it fits you. Given the race bikes to which you have linked and your comment "Maybe when I get more comfortable with cycling I may then look to go out but at this moment it won’t be a pretty sight!", you are possibly wanting to join the MAMILs and don't want to venture out in lycra until you've lost weight first. If so I would say to hell with what other people might think about what you look like in lycra. Lycra is not particularly flattering to anyone. As long as you are riding and enjoying yourself, that's all that matters.

That said, in your shoes I would probably get a mountain bike, because it would offer scope to ride on and off road, and increases your ability to explore. It also looks better with more casual/ordinary clothing (get some padded liner shorts from Decathlon or Aldi etc. to wear under your ordinary shorts or trousers). If I'm riding to the shops or a pub or just riding casually I much prefer ordinary clothing (or outdoors type clothing) rather than lycra race kit.

You could still get a race bike and lycra kit later (and use them on the turbo in the winter), but for now you just need to get out and ride. It doesn't matter how far or how fast - you just need to keep doing it, and for that you need to keep enjoying it.
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

I can't imagine anything worse than using a turbo. I use a bike to travel around. You don't need lycra or padded clothing etc.you need a bike that "fits" and finding one is probably the hardest problem. However where you live often reflects how easy it is to cycle around especially if you're not used to it.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
A1anP

Post by A1anP »

Hi Chrismuzz,

As someone who likes to get out and about on my bike but also really enjoys Zwift on the turbo, I don't see anything wrong in your approach. You are having fun and getting fitter at the same time. I never really took to the turbo before Zwift, but now I can enjoy it... as long as my bum holds out, which is about an hour.

Various things that come to mind:

Definitely invest in some good padded shorts - you won't get embarrassed inside your own house and they are a big help, especially when starting out.

Instead of swapping bikes out, think about getting separate seatpost and saddle for your wife if she isn't too much smaller than you. Much easier to swap over, with some tape wrapped round the seatpost to mark the insertion point. I share a bike with my wife this way for Zwift and she is 6" smaller than me.

Apple TV is a good way to get Zwift. Way cheaper than getting a new computer and so much better than my old computer, which was forever updating Windows and randomly slowing down.

Another consideration is whether you have a separate login for each family member. Could be expensive but would be necessary if more than one of you was using it as a serious training tool, so you would have the correct weight / FTP selected for each family member.

As to the original question of which bike, I would say it doesn't matter all that much as long as it fits and you have a decent range of gears. The Kickr has software controlled resistance, meaning that when you hit a hill, you will need to change down to a lower gear, just like in real life. The 20% inclines in the Richmond course could be quite taxing without low gears! Luckily Richmond only comes round once a month and I much prefer Watopia.

Good luck with your plans, and if you decide to go for it, maybe I'll see you in Watopia...

Cheers,
Alan

[edit: seatpost not seat tube]
Last edited by A1anP on 22 Apr 2018, 10:12pm, edited 1 time in total.
Going upwards at 45 degrees...
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

Using a bike on a turbo means you will produce copious amounts of sweat, which is likely to corrode your lovely new bike. A Wahoo Kickr is close to £1000, with the cost of the bike on top, you'd be better off buying a WattBike Atom, which is built for indoor cycling and won't corrode.

A Wattbike is infinitely adjustable and can be used by any member of the family. It's also suitable for use with Zwift or TrainerRoad.
Last edited by TrevA on 22 Apr 2018, 4:54pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

TrevA wrote:Using a bike on a turbo means you will produce copious amounts of sweat, which is likely to corrode your lovely new bike. A Wahoo Kickr is close to £1000, with the cost of the bike on top, you'd be better off buying a WattBike Atom, which is built for indoor cycling and won't corrode.

Perhaps overkill, but we're thinking along the same lines :D

Also much easier to adjust for different family members, as opposed to the faff of changing bikes over.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Chrismuzz wrote:Thanks eileithyia,
I will try some bikes and look at the different group sets. I am 6ft and my two eldest are exactly the same height as me so would hope they could use my bike and my youngest has a mountain bike which could be shared with my wife. I know what you mean about being comfortable having sat on a couple of road bikes a few weeks ago and the saddles were really hard, would it be worth looking for something more forgiving to start with?

I would like to make it a pleasant experience for all so making things easier in having it as a dedicated setup in our conservatory which is quite large and only having to swap,it for a mountain bike would save hassle and we hopefully can jump on and off at any point. I think I need to look a bit more into Zwift and how this would connect to a tv either through computer or Apple TV etc.

Still lots to think about but want to make as best a decision based on knowledge from the likes of yourselves on this forum which I am sure will help make up my mind.

Padded shorts are important and a relatively comfortable saddle, I would not worry about how hard they are... they will all feel hard after 40-60 mins...for what it's worth I use fairly basic low end WTB saddles on most of my bikes... unless racing, riding on the turbo is the only time I use chamois cream... PS we swab bikes around on the turbo and don't find it that much of a faff, it is just a case of having everything else set up ready..
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells