Tyres for a light tourer/audax

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
geomannie

Tyres for a light tourer/audax

Post by geomannie »

Hi

I am building a new bike and I am stumped when it comes to tyre selection. In the past I have used Gatorskins but stopped when I kept getting punctures, ditto with Panaracer Pasela Tour Guard (am I just unlucky?). I currecntly have Gatorskin Hardshells on one bike but I find the wet grip not encouraging. I also use Schwalbe Greenguard on another bike which seem fine but not exceptional.

Can folk recommend a suitable pair of tyres, bering in mind that I would like everything
*low weight
*low cost
*high grip
*high wear/puncture resistance :D.

I know I can't have it all, but I would appreciate some pointers. My problem is that I simply do not go through tyres quickly enough to build up detailed personal knowledge of tyres.
geomannie
on6702

Re: Tyres for a light tourer/audax

Post by on6702 »

I can heartily recommend Marathon Supreme which are lightweight, have low rolling resistance and are tough (good puncture resistance). The only downside is that they are not cheap. I use them in 35 width for touring and commuting and have been very satisfied. No doubt others will have some more good suggestions.

Oliver
PH

Post by PH »

Size might be helpful, though I'm going to take a guess that Audax means deep drop brakes and 28mm tyres?
In that size my favourites are GP 4 seasons which IMO meet all criteria other than cost, Rubino Pro almost as good for half the price.
For wider I'm another one who likes the Marathon Supreme, a little slower but considerably more robust and longer lasting.
geomannie

Post by geomannie »

" deep drop brakes and 28mm tyres"

You have it. Thanks for your suggestions
geomannie
hamster

Post by hamster »

I've had great experiences with Michelin Pro4 Endurance - fast, grippy and very few cuts, even though it's really flinty round me.
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

hamster wrote:I've had great experiences with Michelin Pro4 Endurance - fast, grippy and very few cuts, even though it's really flinty round me.

Me too. I changed to them 3 or 4 years ago. For size, they are "full fat" tyres, much taller than the lower profile Conti 4 seasons I used before. I cycle camp with 25mm.
geomannie

Post by geomannie »

Hi

The Michelin Pro4 Endurance sound fine. Price is OK too, the reviews are over whelmingly good.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mich ... prod134225

Sorted!

Thanks all
geomannie
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Continental suggest the Grand Prix 4 seasons which has some of he benefits of the racier options with the durability of Gatorskins.

I've had great success with Rubino Pro's on my audax and tyre of choice on the tourer is Gatorskin whilst the abuse taken by the GP2's on the best bike is worthy of contemplating too.

Tyres are of course something that isn't fixed on a bike, they are easily swapped out if you don't like the grip etc. I find going to a store and groping a few tells me more than any sales pitch about flexibility, potential grip etc high nylon content gives terrible wet/damp grip, too soft and durability goes out the window etc
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

Ive been using Conti GP 4 Seasons all winter with no problems. They aren't cheap though at about £30 each. I've used Rubino Pro's in the past with good results, about £18 each.

I've just bought some GP 4000's for my summer bike, £34 each in Halfords but I got 10% discount for CTC membership. I would imagine you can get them cheaper online.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
hamster

Post by hamster »

GP4000s are lovely - comfortable and very fast. Sadly mine generally only last about 1000 miles in my flinty conditions before a terminal cut so they are summer-only. I find GP4Seasons similarly usually end up dead from sidewall damage - nice tyres though. I am light (65-68kg) and run 90psi front, 100 rear.