Why don't more people use recumbents?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
1982john

Why don't more people use recumbents?

Post by 1982john »

It seems like they are more comfortable, quicker, and safer. Yet, it is very rare I see one on the road.

Is it just that they look a bit daft? Too expensive?
fossala

Re: Why don't more people use recumbents?

Post by fossala »

I've just started riding a recumbent trike. Bikes seem a bit silly now I've got used to it. I'll see how I feel in 6 months or a year.

Most people give me a lot of room but I have had one lad call me an idiot and another an "inconsiderate ****", bit funny as he shouted this at me as I pulled over to let cars pass.

I think the main reasons people don't ride them is it's hard to try them, hard to store them and expensive to buy. The reason I hadn't bought one was because one hadn't turned up cheap enough to buy on a whim while being close enough.
fausto copy

Post by fausto copy »

In an ideal world I think I'd really like a recumbent trike.
However, where we live the lanes are quite narrow (often single track with passing places) and hilly (thus a long wait for following traffic).
In addition I think the camber would also hinder a trike.
I have ridden one for short distances on a flat cycle path and thought it was fun.
However, in the real world (here at least) a bit too impractical.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Totally impracticable ?
All the disadvantages of a car but non of the advantages of a bicycle.
Nightmare to transport...
I love mine but i did the reality check before i built it ..... :D
Atomic Zombie Warrior ....
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
fossala

Post by fossala »

fausto copy wrote:In addition I think the camber would also hinder a trike.

They're a pain on upright trikes, but recumbent tadpoles are fine.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

landsurfer wrote:Totally impracticable ?

+/-1 %)

Quicker is not an advantage
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

landsurfer wrote:Totally impracticable ?

+1. cant take them on trains. too heavy. cant carry it upstairs. are they easy to push up hills when too steep to ride?
I hacw wondered about breathing - any one with breathing issues, lying on your back makes things worse.
david7591

Post by david7591 »

Don’t know much about them. My perception is that you are sat quite low, which would be unpleasant in an urban environment with exhausts etc, and annoying in the countryside, more difficult to admire the view.
david7591

Post by david7591 »

How are they in hilly terrain?
crossy

Post by crossy »

They are good on hills I can go at 2 - 3 mph with no problem. Only had to get off on one hill so steep that when I stopped I found it hard to stand up once I got up no problem pushing. Never had a problem with breathing as I’m usually so relaxed. Another thought about hills if it’s steep and wet sometimes the back wheel has a problem with traction.
ICE Adventure E51, Van Nic Amazon E40, NWT Bike Friday E17, Orange Rohloff, Total E58
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

what about chains? are normal length 104 links good enough? if not what do they cost?
fossala

Post by fossala »

mercalia wrote:what about chains? are normal length 104 links good enough? if not what do they cost?

My trike takes 3 joined up so £30-70 depending on the chain (9 speed)
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

I had one for a year - I was unable to ride an upright for medical reasons.

After my experience (an M5 two wheeler) the reasons I don't now use a recumbent are:

1) Much slower up hills
2) Much reduced visibility over cars and hedges
3) Harder to get on a car
4) I found I got a lot of abuse from motorists (I was commuting on it), far more than on an upright.
5) Less manoeverable than an upright.

I didn't find it any more comfortable or quicker; safety is probably a matter of opinion.

I can see the attraction, but I think that for many people, there are a lot of reasons to prefer an upright. I guess the sort of cycling you do matters and I suspect there's also a huge difference between different recumbents, but I've no experience of any others.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

A lot of comments on recumbents here are the opposite of my experience so far. I'm relatively new to them but my streetmachine is a revelation. It's a two wheeled recumbent and I've no idea what a recumbent trike is like.

Harder uphill is correct but I'm still developing my recumbent legs and even think I need to adjust the boom out more which could help a bit more.

I have had to stop on hills and been unable to start up again because I'm new to it. However I find it a lot easier to push than an upright. For a start I'm 6'5" tall so bending over an upright to push its something I hate, hard on my bike bending at that level. However my recumbent has a seat high enough to push without bending. I'm able to steer easily by tilting it slightly one way or the other. It's so easy to push.

Lower so poor visibility? Yes it's lower but my head is at the same height as a driver if a normal car. So if it's a problem for me on a recumbent then in a car wouldn't it have also presented as a problem? As for people seeing me, well it's proving to not be an issue. Somehow I'm very noticeable judging by a lot of second and third looks or long lasting looks by motorists and pedestrians. I guess we're out of the ordinary which makes us more noticeable. Drivers give me space too, just like when I've towed a child trailer with my upright.

Hard to transport? I found a new roof top mount that worked very well with my recumbent. You just need to find what works. Since you don't want to leave the seat on the recumbent when carrying on the car it actually makes my recumbent very easy to lift onto the rack. It just seems to be so balanced lifting it up that I'm not using any effort to stop the bike flipping as I often find uprights do when lifting onto car roof. Bear in mind I'm very tall and I find upright bikes very hard to lift onto roofs I do not find out hard with my seat less recumbent.

Trains? When I've taken uprights on trains I've always found it a stressful matter. I've yet to do that with recumbent. My recumbent is SWB which means the wheelbase is about a centimetre longer than my xl upright bike. I suspect I can shorten the boom in seconds and it'll fit in easily. I doubt I'll try out in the UK.

I've not had any abuse. I've had very positive comments though, including from teenagers. Although my partner says I keep getting looks from passers-by that seem to be saying "aah it's nice he's got out!" like I have an impairment of a mental or physical type that just getting out on public is an achievement let alone riding any kind of bike.

Breathing difficulties when on my back? Well that's a very new thing on me. I've never had issues breathing when sleeping on my back. This issue seems like someone trying to find an issue with riding a recumbent unless I've got a really good one and others do show that issue. IMHO you have an open chest sitting in a recumbent. In an upright I find I'm actually hunched up but mostly at my lower back to get into a more aero position. I'm looking up and I sometimes get neck issues. Never used to have any issues but a few years back I had an accident at a supermarket which have whiplash type injuries. It healed up but every so often comes back, usually after cycling me than 35 or 40 minutes on an upright bike.

Positives are fully supported back, no strain to my back and neck looking up, a wide angle of view that you don't know you've missed on your upright until you get a recumbent. They a lot of fun. I find the difference very refreshing for my cycling enjoyment.

They're me expensive, harder to get hold of and variety isn't high. If you want a new one you have to travel to Edinburgh, Glasgow or London. Or secondhand to little Thetford, Cambridgeshire. I believe there aren't any other recumbent retailers in the UK. Secondhand doesn't come up very often compared to upright bikes. I was very lucky finding a £500 touring recumbent when I did and when I first started to look into them. I wanted a change to my cycling. Previous years when I've had this feeling of needing something new to my cycling to maintain interest I've looked at touring, upright bikes. I never got one because I didn't want secondhand tourer. I can't afford new recumbent so had to go into secondhand market. Meant I got a good recumbent for low price that'll probably be what I'll end up selling it for when I move on.

There's so many positives with recumbent bikes and trikea that I feel people are missing out. Your loss, I'm very happy with mine.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Forgot to say, they're bikes nothing more. Apart from the frame they're basically just a normal bike for the mechanicals. Usually mtb groupset. Mine is xt 9 speed so pretty sound mechanicals.

Chain line is long. If you use bike mechanics a simple question you can use to see if they're good LBS mechanics. Ask them if they have any recumbent chains in stock. It's a trick question. If they say they have to get them in they're to be avoided. Real answer is they're just normal chains so your just need more than one of them due to the longer chain lines. I think mine is 2.5 to 3 chains. At £13ish per chain it is not expensive to replace. Cassettes, chainrings, dérailleurs, etc are just normal ones.