Why don't more people use recumbents?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
reohn2

Re: Why don't more people use recumbents?

Post by reohn2 »

yakdiver wrote:When I make tea I put my milk in first, that the way I like it :roll:

:wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

pwa wrote:
And if you like it, that is reason enough. There is a bloke around here who goes around on a modern take on a "penny farthing", which to me looks less than practical. But I love the fact that he does it. It's not about spreadsheet logic, it is about what makes you smile. With recumbents the spreadsheet stuff stacks up better, but I'm happy that people with a passion for bents are out there doing what you/they do.

So am I and I've said as much more than once on this thread :)
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Cunobelin wrote:
It is not the case in my experience.

Practically there is no difference between riding the two safety in traffic.

We'll have to agree to differ.
W H Auden
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

reohn2 wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:

It'd be down to the combination of numerous possibilities, like the road, the traffic, and one's particular values of "safely".

My Streetmachine is almost certainly safer in traffic than my Brompton, but not as fast. Why? being less manoeuvrable, I'm more inclined to just sit safely in the traffic stream than taking all sorts of short cuts to get past queues. Safety and speed tend to be inverses of one another, but both are useful. Everybody has the compromise between the two at a different spot.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

pjclinch wrote:
reohn2 wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:

It'd be down to the combination of numerous possibilities, like the road, the traffic, and one's particular values of "safely".

My Streetmachine is almost certainly safer in traffic than my Brompton, but not as fast. Why? being less manoeuvreable,I'm more inclined to just sit safely in the traffic stream than taking all sorts of short cuts to get past queues. Safety and speed tend to be inverses of one another, but both are useful. Everybody has the compromise between the two at a different spot.

Pete.

Speed in this context,which isn't really speed at all,more like quick negotiation of traffic moving slower than my cycling speed,or stopped traffic(some motorists may call it 'jumping the queue'),and which has 'plugs'(usually traffic light controlled plugs of say six or more vehicles with the odd stray)of oncoming traffic or a stream of oncoming with gaps allowing me time to 'queue jump'.
In such situations(which are frequent IME)I can stand on the pedals at very slow speed on any upright(pedals at quarter to/past) to peer around or over traffic in the 'queue and time my 'queue' hopping.
In such situations even a high recumbent has a limited forward view,I can also accelerate much faster in these situations than on any recumbent because of the ability to sprint out of the saddle,just a squirt is usually all that's needed for the 'hop'.Its the same on my Tern folder though not as stable as my other bike's due to the twitchy steering of the small wheels and a very upright riding position (that I plan to remedy with bull horns).This a perfectly safe and efficient way to filter/overtake traffic.
A recumbent in such situations has less forward vision and is slower off the mark either two wheeler or trike is rooted in the traffic by the lack of these abilities.
Ive tried my best to explain the situation of the difference between recumbents and uprights in traffic and can only now say,YVMV,mine won't.
W H Auden
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

reohn2 wrote:Speed in this context,which isn't really speed at all

I'm meaning speed as how fast my journey goes from when I leave to when I arrive.

reohn2 wrote:In such situations(which are frequent IME)I can...
<snip>

Well, yes, you can, and that's precisely why I said I'd be quicker on my Brom in such situations compared to my Streemachine.

reohn2 wrote:This a perfectly safe and efficient way to filter/overtake traffic.

No, it's an acceptably safe way, which again is why my Brom is faster through these kinds of situations than my Streetmachine, in each case with me riding it. But "acceptably safe" is simply risk compensation in action: all the tricks for zipping in to gaps and short sharp sprints take what people think of as "safety advantages" and just translate them in to greater risk taking.

reohn2 wrote:A recumbent in such situations has less forward vision and is slower off the mark either two wheeler or trike is rooted in the traffic by the lack of these abilities.

Which is a safer place to be, which is rather my point.
There are times when I'll filter on my 'bent and when I'll sit in line on my Brom, but overall I'll take more chances on the Brom. That it is more responsive does not make me safer if I rationalise that my extra responsiveness makes me safer so I'll be safer in a more dangerous place too. So if you are riding to moderately risk averse version of safety Cunobelin's point stands, and if you are riding to a less risk averse version of safety yours does.

reohn2 wrote:Ive tried my best to explain the situation of the difference between recumbents and uprights in traffic and can only now say,YVMV,mine won't.

My mileage varies according to the roads, the traffic, how much of a hurry I'm in, which bike I'm on, how presentable I need to be at the destination, how far I've got to go etc. If you always treat every bit of traffic the same irrespective of any variables beyond being on an upright or recumbent bike I'd be quite surprised.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Pete
I've stated my case many times on this thread re;recumbent v uprights I'll leave it at that :)
W H Auden
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

I think that I am going to count my blessings in that over almost 30 years of ownership and riding that I have been very fortunate in surviving, being able to move in traffic or seeing anything at all

I will continue to ride an invisible machine through gaps that I can neither see nor fit and leave the rest to the pundits who know far more about the limitations that I simply don't have
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Cunobelin wrote:I think that I am going to count my blessings in that over almost 30 years of ownership and riding that I have been very fortunate in surviving, being able to move in traffic or seeing anything at all

I will continue to ride an invisible machine through gaps that I can neither see nor fit and leave the rest to the pundits who know far more about the limitations that I simply don't have

Keep up the good work :D
W H Auden
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

At the end of the day I've been riding bikes for 40 years without any accident. I very much doubt riding a recumbent in traffic (when I finally do it after my summer tour to get the miles and experience in) will affect my spotless safety record.

It's the rider more than the bike that keeps you safe IMHO. Part of that involves riding within your limits and the limits of your bike.
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

1982john wrote:It seems like they are more comfortable, quicker, and safer. Yet, it is very rare I see one on the road.

Is it just that they look a bit daft? Too expensive?

because I can't hop with it! :mrgreen:
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
pwa

Post by pwa »

Tangled Metal wrote:At the end of the day I've been riding bikes for 40 years without any accident. I very much doubt riding a recumbent in traffic (when I finally do it after my summer tour to get the miles and experience in) will affect my spotless safety record.

It's the rider more than the bike that keeps you safe IMHO. Part of that involves riding within your limits and the limits of your bike.

I average a decently painful accident about once every ten years. That means that either you are due a run of four accidents in a row, or I've been taking some of your share. Black ice, a driver pulling out of a side road and taking out my back wheel, unavoidable stuff like that. I'm not saying that using or not using a bent will make any difference, though. I think you are wise to defer commuting on one until you have got the feel of it.
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

pwa wrote:
NUKe wrote:
reohn2 wrote:
Please stop tying to avoid the obvious,which is that a general purpose upright will go where your 'bent trike won't,it will also be easier to walk with or carry,where where your trike can't be.

TBH this thread has become like dealing with a bunch of religious zealots who can't see there are other religions or even non at all.
It really is becoming tedious so I'll opt out from now on and let you lot carry one in your beliefs,sorry to have trespassed on holy ground....... :?

They call it the dark side for a reason. You are right though for General purpose riding the upright has the edge, but I can't help myself the bent just draws me in.

And if you like it, that is reason enough. There is a bloke around here who goes around on a modern take on a "penny farthing", which to me looks less than practical. But I love the fact that he does it. It's not about spreadsheet logic, it is about what makes you smile. With recumbents the spreadsheet stuff stacks up better, but I'm happy that people with a passion for bents are out there doing what you/they do.

There is one near here too, unless you are near Ipswich and we are talking one and the same, he is difficult to talk to if I am on the grasshopper , funnily enough I saw him today he had ridden to Felixstowe.
NUKe

Post by reohn2 »

I'd bet Ordinary riders could see over vehicles in front easily enough :mrgreen: a bit hard putting a foot down though :shock:
Though a box van could be useful for leaning against in traffic :)
W H Auden
1982john

Post by 1982john »

Something I have started to see more of this year - 3 in the last month alone - people using fat bikes as commuters.

This does seem like a good compromise between the recumbant and road bike.

You get a safer and more comfortable ride than a normal bike. You can still store it and lock it up reasonably enough. You do kinda look cool (especially if you're a big dude)