This must be a first

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Mike Sales

Re: This must be a first

Post by Mike Sales »

JohnW wrote:Mike, I've broken cranks - it's no big thing - not Campag but Stronglight, which are bone fide. The question was not about cranks, it was about cheapo tackle. I do encourage new cyclists, but I'd never encourage them to use cheapo tackle. Are you sure that you're not arguing for the sake of arguing.

You asked whether anyone would use these cleats. I answered that I would, and naturally justified this. I hope you don't mind if I carry on doing so.
Why do you think that the failure of a cleat might be so much worse than a broken crank? Seems odd to me.
I am happy to use the cheapest item which will do the job. Quite often the more expensive items in cycling (and other lifestyle sports) command a high price to satisfy the desire of the gullible to feel good. Oakley glasses are a fine example. If something is more expensive for a good reason it is a different matter. Cheapo is of course a more perjorative word than cheap. These cleats are just lumps of plastic, quickly turned out on a machine. Nothing technical, nothing sophisticated.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Mike Sales wrote:
edocaster wrote:Just to clarify, as the topic starter, I wouldn't recommend this purchase...

The risk is if the plastic is a bit too pliant, a rider might find themselves unable to clip out. That's the worst case scenario.

It's ridiculously cheap even compared to buying from Aliexpress or eBay. But I think it's just the one cleat, no bolts, etc. A bizarre set of compromises to get down to the £1 mark.

I can't imagine that a too pliant cleat would be stiff enough to be unreleasable, but granting this possibilty.
The worst case then is not too bad. I have had that happen when I was careless enough to let my cleat fixing bolts loosen. I was also clumsy enough to fall towards the side which did not release. No bruises except to the ego.
One could check out release before starting.
Selling them singly seems perhaps the decision of a non-cyclist who did not understand the purpose.
I would not have thought it difficult to get the price of a bit of plastic down, when a single machine in China could turn out thousands a day.

OTOH I often wear one cleat out (LH) well before the other so buying a single would be useful!
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
edocaster

Post by edocaster »

I went back to the shop and picked one up today. I.e. physically picked one up, not bought one. Turns out there are two cleats in the pack - the second one is behind the card - and a complete set of nuts and bolts. Now that really is a crazy price.
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

Mike Sales wrote:....................I am happy to use the cheapest item which will do the job.

Quite often the more expensive items in cycling (and other lifestyle sports) command a high price to satisfy the desire of the gullible to feel good........................

Fair enough Mike - your decision.

I agree with your second point, but there's a happy medium - good, practical, serviceable, trustworthy tackle is usually available at decent prices, but that's very different from cheapo tackle, and my experience of cheapo tackle is very often (although not always) that it is cheapo tackle and cheapo quality accordingly.

And Mike - I don't mind what you do!
Marcus Aurelius

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

They can’t be any worse than the last few sets of ‘official’ Shimano cleats I’ve had. If they’re making them for Poundland, it might explain why they aren’t as good as they once were.
Niallmo

Post by Niallmo »

For me, to try SPD-SL as I ride SPD would be expensive. This puts it in the more affordable zone that I’ll actually try them. I don’t suppose they will last as long as “real” cleats but if I’m paying ten times less but only replace twice as often then it’s all good. Can’t see why they would be liable to fail as they’ll be reverse engineered off a “good” set. Could even be made in the same factory.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

3 quid in Poundland! Now where is the logic in that?
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

Plastic is plastic is plastic. Not. I'd be wary. And while I've had my foot pull out of pedals due to worn cleats it's not a pleasant experience, nor would I actively court the possibility. Going cheapo is ok if you go into it with eyes wide open and expect the product to be sub standard, and accept the consequences of sudden failure.