unibaggage

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
cotswolds

unibaggage

Post by cotswolds »

Anyone heard of this company or used them? They do door to door to shipping at what seems like very good prices.

£17 and 2 days for a 30kg package on the UK mainland, around £30 and 3-4 days in Europe (at least for the sample countries I checked). They'll take a bike packed in a bike box (but not in a plastic bag). Compared to the cost of flying with a bike and the hassle of getting a packed bike to the airport, that seems like good value.

I'm tempted to use them for our Austria/Italy trip.
simonhill

Re: unibaggage

Post by simonhill »

I've not heard of them, but thought I could be interested, so I had a look at their reviews and website. By the way, the uni bit is cos the service started to transport stuff for students at university.

Reviews all look good, if you can trust them.

Then I looked at FAQs for bike and got this:

"Can I send a bike?
We can ship bicycles. If sending a bicycle it will need to be boxed up. We recommend taking your bicycle to a local cycle shop where they can box it up and disassemble it if required for a small fee. The box you use needs to fit within our normal size restrictions and can be sent on our normal services.

If you are sending within the UK:
The longest length must not exceed 1.5m
Longest length + 2(breadth + width) = No More Than 300cm

The restrictions to ship outside the UK are:
(length x width x height (cm) / 5000) must not equal more than 30."

I was a bit confused by the outside UK bit, but realised it is a formula. Unfortunately it means they won't take a standard cardboard bike box. These vary in size, but the smallest I have used is 133 x 71 x 20 and that is fairly tight with front wheel off, rear on.

The maths 133 x 71 x 20 = 188860 divided by 5000 = 37.7

This means that a (small) standard bike box is too big. Obviously you can further disassemble and get it in a smaller box. Good price though.