8.5 mile commute for a beginner cyclist?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Randy_Butternubs

Re: 8.5 mile commute for a beginner cyclist?

Post by Randy_Butternubs »

If you don't know how, practice puncture repair at home. There are good videos on the internet -just keep taking the tyres off and on until it's easy.

It seems like a lot of people never address it and live in fear of punctures. Once you are good at it it's easy, quick and effortless*

*Some tyres/rims are apparently nasty but I've never encountered these.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Hi and Welcome, a bit late to this thread.

Is that 8.5 one way or total?
Practise the journey first at a weekend to see how long it will take. Then allow an extra 15 mins, this is to cover time to get sorted and organised once at work; changing? showering? wash? locking bike up and getting from that area to work space? Also it will give you some wriggle room if a problem occurs.

Consider; lights, clothing, bags to carry items, waterproofs, spare inner tube (and as someone said learn to repair a puncture), mudguards.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

If you are worried about punctures, there are other ways to deal with it, like 'instant' puncture reparis kits, walking, leaving your bike (someplace secure!) and taking the bus.

The main thing is to be prepared. If being prepared for you means carrying a patch kit and spare inner tube, changing or patching the inner tube, that's great. That's what I, and many other cyclists do. It is a good idea to practice, if that's what you want to do.

Having puncture resistant tyres is also a good idea.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

One could invest in some indestructible tyres
They have another advantage, higher rolling resistance so going too fast is harder :)
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
crazydave789

Post by crazydave789 »

just do it, practise the route on a weekend so you know it and can find alternate routes so you don't get bored - sometimes shorter is not quicker.

Allow plenty of time and relax both ways, if the weather is nice chill and take a longer route home.