If I’m doing okay

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
eileithyia

Re: If I’m doing okay

Post by eileithyia »

Cunobelin wrote:That is brilliant, however a word of advice?

There is a proven issue with comparing yourself against others.

What is in reality a brilliant piece of progress, and an increase in your fitness that can only be beneficial, becomes devalued because it is not as good as somebody else.

Unachievable targets, or forcing yourself to meet targets when really you know you should be indoors with a cup of tea are neither helpful or beneficial. The classic example is the "fitness trackers and 10.000 step target. People become obsessed with this when in fact 4,000 steps per day is adequate for the average person to meet the NHS guidelines for activity

You are doing well, the only person you really need to beat is yourself and you are doing that consistently

Keep up with that

Agreed. And to add to what someone else said (and remember I do do time trials with some modestly ok times) you are faster than some and slower than a serious race club training group.... But the measure is yourself and your enjoyment... obviously your fitness and health is improving.

I have had target mileages to do in the past; usually 10,000 miles per year.... (yes I was doing some serious commuting at the time as well), at 30 miles a day it still tough.... and to find in December you 'have' to go out and clock up x number of miles to stay on target is tough.... and undermines the sheer pleasure in cycling. Concentrate on enjoying it and not targets....
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

I think nowadays we are all obsessed with numbers, particularly average speed, and Strava has made this worse. When I started cycling 40 years ago, we had no reliable way of measuring speed when on the bike, so we used to just ride at a speed that felt comfortable with the occasional tear up or cafe sprint. I have a particularly annoying friend who stalks you on Strava and critiques your ride. I ignore him.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
fausto copy

Post by fausto copy »

You're doing too damn good!

We did a 20 mile ride t'other day and it took us 2hrs. 40 mins.
Although I suspect it's a bit hillier down here though.

But seriously, it don't matter what your times are; just enjoy the time. :)
amediasatex

Post by amediasatex »

You're doing brilliant by the sounds of it! There will always be someone faster, someone slower, someone stronger and someone weaker, none of it matters as long as you're enjoying yourself.

Time to quote Eddy

Grandad

Post by Grandad »

. I have a particularly annoying friend who stalks you on Strava and critiques your ride.

No Strava = no stress
BikeKid

Post by BikeKid »

Yeah, I personally don't know how well you're doing as I am basically a new born baby to the cycling world, but judging by the statistics you posted and what everyone is saying, I think you're doing amazing
Got a bike and 'bout to learn
BikeKid

Post by BikeKid »

Grandad wrote:
. I have a particularly annoying friend who stalks you on Strava and critiques your ride.

No Strava = no stress

Did you hear about that guy that got fired because he took a break as he had "lower back" pain but he was found out to have gone on a starva bike riding holiday?
Got a bike and 'bout to learn
MarcusT

Post by MarcusT »

I do not believe speed is as important as other factors. Unless you're training for a race, of course.
For me, I see how I feel at the end of the ride. I want to be winded, but not overly so and satisfied with the pace, the climbs and having passed at least 1 other cyclist, even if it's a granny going to the shop :wink:

Once every couple of weeks, I will push myself to the limit, to see if there is improvement in my performance
I wish it were as easy as riding a bike
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

MarcusT wrote:I do not believe speed is as important as other factors. Unless you're training for a race, of course.
For me, I see how I feel at the end of the ride. I want to be winded, but not overly so and satisfied with the pace, the climbs and having passed at least 1 other cyclist, even if it's a granny going to the shop :wink:

Once every couple of weeks, I will push myself to the limit, to see if there is improvement in my performance

Exactly, when i started as a tourist, keeping up with the others, not having them wait too long for me at the top of a hill, getting up that hill i had previously believed was not 'climbable', being able to ride the same distance but not be so shattered at the end of the ride, being able to ride further afield, enjoying hostel trips away..... counting the different species of birds to be seen on the route, enjoying the scenery...

these were and still are the markers of my rides.... even rides that include some element of training.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells