How does one convince their mum to buy them a bicycle?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
BikeKid

Re: How does one convince their mum to buy them a bicycle?

Post by BikeKid »

Thanks Pasty
Got a bike and 'bout to learn
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Reverse psychology? e.g. show your Mum e.g.
[youtube]ddi5q3fwEiU[/youtube] or [youtube]cUpyDkfrQpI[/youtube] or loads of choice and say how much you'd love to be able to do that and can you have a BMX to learn as you could never do that with a ... bike.

Ian
BikeKid

Post by BikeKid »

Thanks Ian, I see your point, make her think it's too dangerous to have a BMX
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

BikeKid wrote:Thanks Ian, I see your point, make her think it's too dangerous to have a BMX

But it could be a double edged sword in that she could play the same trick back on you and say "OK, lets go and buy you a BMX so you can learn to do all that clever stuff"

Ian
BikeKid

Post by BikeKid »

Probably would, don't know yet.
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

Annoying Twit wrote:If you want to ride on the road, then a bike with narrow tyres will be better to ride than a mountain bike.

I would advise you to take your mother to a bicycle shop and to get advice as to what style of bicycle would be best for the kind of cycling you want to do.

£125 seems a very good deal for a Raleigh Criterium if it's in good condition. Particularly in London, I'd be concerned that it's stolen if it's not being sold by a reliable person/shop.

I wouldn't say that was a good price at all, I'd say it was probably a bit expensive IMHO, as for the stolen comment, you simply have no idea whatsoever where the bike is from and your first thought based on a price alone is that it might be stolen :?
I wouldn't be concerned it was stolen because it simply isn't that great a deal. Now show me £125 for a very well specc'd bike and you might have a point to a degree but there are plenty of bikes out there that are up for sale for cheap money that are not stolen.

As for mum, point out that buying a road bike is a sign of maturity and that because BMX and mountain bikes are often bought by kids and are in fact also used in a sports context and as above are considered to be a more dangerous activity so you're actually making a choice that an adult would make for the type of use you want to use the bike for.
Also ask if she would dictate what you had as a plaything/toy that was a similar price, so why dictate over something that you would like to use to get around easily and encourage you to act more responsibly and thus be safer.

Talk about trust and responsibility and that by making your own decisions on things this is a natural part of growing up even if sometimes we make mistakes, we grow and learn from them.
luckily I had earned my money to buy a bike from my paper round in 1984 and bought a shiny new Elswick Falcon for £114 which took me 2 years to save for :lol: mum was more than happy for me to buy a racing bike (there wasn't much else choice back then tbh for growing lads) but these days parents are a bit more suspicious of road bikes and what they imagine them to be.
Good luck 8)
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Wait a while and try again

Maybe it would be best NOT to show her these opinions :wink:

Thanks for using "one" in the title
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
BikeKid

Post by BikeKid »

Thank you all for helping me, she said yes! (finally) if anyone wants pictures I can post them! Also, like I said on here (I think, I posted this on reddit too so I don't remember if I said it here too) He willingly gave me the frame ID and I checked it on checkthatbike.com and it was all clear.

Edit: I'm going to pick it up right now.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

My mum ... in hospital aged 94 with a collapsed lung .. and the best stand up comedian laid in a bed.
She asked me what i was doing after visiting, i told her i was looking to buy a new bike, so would be visiting a few cycle dealers in Belfast that afternoon.
She grinned and said .. hold on a few days and you can pay for it with the money i'm leaving you .... :lol:
So i did , and she did ...
The "Margaret Whiteside Memorial Trek" has been on quite a few sportives in the Yorks and Lincs areas.
:lol:
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Glad it's all come out right.

The best bike is one you want to ride, and if you want to ride it you can do an awful lot, even if it's not notionally the best thing for the job. So get riding, and enjoy!

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
amediasatex

Post by amediasatex »

£125 seems a very good deal for a Raleigh Criterium if it's in good condition.

I wouldn't say that was a good price at all, I'd say it was probably a bit expensive IMHO

Raleigh has produced a 'Criterium' model for over well over 40 years, and at various price points. Without knowing more details it's not really possible to comment on the price. If it's a knackerd 70s Crit' covered in rust then £125 is a terrible deal, if on the other hand it's a 2017 Crit' that's been loving looked after then it's a bargain.

Enjoy your new bike OP, I hope you have many happy miles ahead of you!
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

BikeKid wrote:Thank you all for helping me, she said yes! (finally) if anyone wants pictures I can post them! Also, like I said on here (I think, I posted this on reddit too so I don't remember if I said it here too) He willingly gave me the frame ID and I checked it on checkthatbike.com and it was all clear.

Edit: I'm going to pick it up right now.

Result, hope it gives you lots back for the persistence and good choice over the other two options 8)
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Hey BikeKid
We would like to know how you are "proceeding" :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
nigelnightmare

Post by nigelnightmare »

And how about some pictures.