...if the Hampton Loade ferry carries bicycles?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
ricardito

...if the Hampton Loade ferry carries bicycles?

Post by ricardito »

Hi,

Hopefully the title says it all... I'm trying to put together a route around Bridgnorth and wondering if the pedestrian ferry at Hampton Loade will carry me over the Severn with my bike. There's a shortage of bridges in that immediate area...

Edit: Come to that, is it even operating at all these days? The Severn Valley Railway web site says it has ceased operating, which would be a shame.

Thanks!

R.
robc02

Re: ...if the Hampton Loade ferry carries bicycles?

Post by robc02 »

I was there last summer and the only sign of the ferry was the post the cable used to attach to!
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Not been down there for a while, there's a pub called The River and Rail, I think they're on Facebook so you could message them.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

It wasn't running late last year as someone already stated just the posts and cable were there. There is a footbridge over the river at Arley which you can cycle.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
RickH

Post by RickH »

No on the ground experience but...

... it looks (from Google & OS maps) that on the west side of the river there is a path* parallel to the railway line that then crosses a bridge about 1.5 miles south of the ferry to Servern Valley Country Park, near Alveley on the east side.

Another possible option is about 3 miles further south where there is a footbridge linking the access roads to Arley Station on the west & Upper Arley on the east. The bridge is visible on Google StreetView from the Upper Arley side of the river so was still there relatively recently.

(* green circles on the OS 1:50,000 indicating an off road cycle path & the colour on the aerial view suggests it is (was) probably rolled stone so likely to be OK unless anyone know different)
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Si

Post by Si »

RickH wrote:No on the ground experience but...

... it looks (from Google & OS maps) that on the west side of the river there is a path* parallel to the railway line that then crosses a bridge about 1.5 miles south of the ferry to Servern Valley Country Park, near Alveley on the east side.

)

yep, this is the mercian way sustrans cycle path....this stretch is very nice, although the climb up through the park is a bit stiff.

The surface is good gravelly type stuff and board walk.
ricardito

Post by ricardito »

Thanks everyone. It looks like those two bridges (SVCP and Arley) are my best options.
gxaustin

Post by gxaustin »

I don't think the Hampton Loade ferry has operated for years. Arley foot bridge is good and Alverly is OK but involves tracks.
The Hampton Loade ferry was a large punt, as I recall. The Arley footbridge replaced a slightly larger ferry which employed the current to drive it across the river. It had a deck which looked large enough for a car and my brother and I often wondered if they'd take the family Morris Minor :lol:
The last remaining fragment of the Arley Ferry is the prow which is residing in a front garden on the approach to Severnside (nth) in Bewdley.
Despite the demise of the Hampton Loade ferry there is a sign at the end of the road informing truckers that the ferry is not for vehicular transport :lol: :lol:
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Used it once I think
It was a very clever ferry with no motor, the nose of the punt was angled into the stream and the flow moved it across, +1
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies