...the Water Rail Way?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
tim-b

...the Water Rail Way?

Post by tim-b »

Hi
I'm hoping that someone can tell me whether the Water Rail Way from Bardney to Lincoln is suitable for a road bike on 23mm road tyres
Thanks
tim-b
~~~~¯\(ツ)/¯~~~~
Mike Sales

Re: ...the Water Rail Way?

Post by Mike Sales »

tim-b wrote:Hi
I'm hoping that someone can tell me whether the Water Rail Way from Bardney to Lincoln is suitable for a road bike on 23mm road tyres
Thanks
tim-b

According to the O.S. and the Sustrans map all of this section is on the road. I rode it some years ago and to the best of my recollection this is accurate. Certainly I was on 23mm.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

I have ridden the full length to Boston and the Bardney to Lincoln stretch just a few weeks ago. That particular stretch is pretty much all tarmac, think there might be a little bit of compacted cinder at the Bardney end. I did it on my CX bike with 28c Gatorskin but no reason why you'd have any real issues with 23c tyres - as I said, it's well surfaced on this stretch.

Now going downstream from Bardney might be a bit more interesting in places! I'm actually writing a route guide that covers the whole length of the Witham from source to sea - a nice 2-3 day ride each way.

Hope this helps
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Damo78

Post by Damo78 »

I've done Lincoln to Boston a few times on my road bike, and this section is fine, all tarmac.

The only place I've ever struggled with from Lincoln to Boston is the "summer route" at Bardney - I always take the other route which follows the road around to Southrey.
tim-b

Post by tim-b »

Hi
Thanks for your help everyone
Regards
tim-b
~~~~¯\(ツ)/¯~~~~