Good budget bike locks?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
BikeKid

Good budget bike locks?

Post by BikeKid »

You may know me from the "How does one convince their mum to buy them a road bike" And everythings come out great.
Now that I have the bike I need to buy a U lock and an extender. I know kryptonite is one of the best companies but I don't have the cash to buy the U lock and can only afford an extender, so if you haven't figured out yet, I need a good U lock for cheap.
Got a bike and 'bout to learn
gbnz

Re: Good budget bike locks?

Post by gbnz »

Don't forget the critical point; ensure your bike is never in a situation from which it can be pinched/vandalised.

Have to admit I used my decent road bike for several years without any form of a lock; it's easy enough with a road bike, the bikes either in motion or locked up indoors (Nb. I compromise now with a 4mm cable lock, for those essential bakers stops!)
BikeKid

Post by BikeKid »

gbnz wrote:Don't forget the critical point; ensure your bike is never in a situation from which it can be pinched/vandalised.

Have to admit I used my decent road bike for several years without any form of a lock; it's easy enough with a road bike, the bikes either in motion or locked up indoors (Nb. I compromise now with a 4mm cable lock, for those essential bakers stops!)

I didn't realise that people vandalise bikes, thanks for pointing that out to me! Also, I also fancy a crossaint every now and then!
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

To be honest, for coffee / croissant stops I use a simple pull out lock. My big U-lock stays at work, the one place where I regularly lock a bike up un-sighted for several hours at a time.
Hate to disillusion you but, on Friday we had a jammed on wheel lock on our caravan... after the faff of going out and buying an angle grinder, it took all of 3 mins to cut the lock off the wheel so we could go away for the weekend. If your bike is wanted they will get it. Having said that I believe most thefts are opportunists, those who can just grab a bike and walk off with it. As long as the bike is sufficiently secured that that cannot happen it will be reasonably safe.
I think many thefts are from places where they know bikes are either kept regularly, or they get lucky and find unlocked / unsecured bikes that can be easily walked / ridden away.

Congratulations on getting your bike, hope you have many hours of fun riding it and welcome to the forum :D
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
BikeKid

Post by BikeKid »

eileithyia wrote:To be honest, for coffee / croissant stops I use a simple pull out lock. My big U-lock stays at work, the one place where I regularly lock a bike up un-sighted for several hours at a time.
Hate to disillusion you but, on Friday we had a jammed on wheel lock on our caravan... after the faff of going out and buying an angle grinder, it took all of 3 mins to cut the lock off the wheel so we could go away for the weekend. If your bike is wanted they will get it. Having said that I believe most thefts are opportunists, those who can just grab a bike and walk off with it. As long as the bike is sufficiently secured that that cannot happen it will be reasonably safe.
I think many thefts are from places where they know bikes are either kept regularly, or they get lucky and find unlocked / unsecured bikes that can be easily walked / ridden away.

Congratulations on getting your bike, hope you have many hours of fun riding it and welcome to the forum :D

Thanks!
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

If you've got a local branch of Decathlon, have a look in there at the best you can afford.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Good locks don't come cheap.

You might be able to pick up a used one. If you do get a used one, make sure you get all of the keys (or instructions to change the combination), and the registration code fot it.

In general with locks, the rating goes up with cost and vice versa. If you go to a local bike shop, you will be able to see what 'rating' level your money can buy, and buy the best. D locks are usually better than cable locks. I wouldn't depend on an extender to keep my bike safe; I think a basic D lock at the same cost is a better theft deterant. I would use it in combination with an inexpensive cable lock on the wheels, especially if you will leave it somewhere for any length of time, like bike stands at school.

This thread is about locks & has some links to others viewtopic.php?f=5&t=95785&hilit=what+bike+lock

Where you leave your bike is important, too. Secure bike parking is best, if it's available. Indoors or inside a garage at home, or a secure shed, if you can't keep it indoors.

However, a determined and knowledgeable thief will be able to steal your bike, even if you have a lock that's worth more than your bike, so if it's practical, it's a good idea to have it insured (maybe it's covered on your mum's home & contents insurance?), and that you meet requirements listed by the insurance. It would be silly to pay more to insure it than the bike is worth, but if it's not covered on your mum's insurance, she may be able to insure it for not much additional cost.

Some people use a strategy of locking up near other bikes that are worth more, but not secure (e.g. locked with a cheap cable lock). It's not so nice if someone else's bike gets stolen, but at least you still have yours.

Being a bit paranoid about it is better than being a bit lax.

Enjoy your new bike :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
BikeKid

Post by BikeKid »

iandriver wrote:If you've got a local branch of Decathlon, have a look in there at the best you can afford.

Closest branch is a 35 minute bus ride away.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

BikeKid wrote:
iandriver wrote:If you've got a local branch of Decathlon, have a look in there at the best you can afford.

Closest branch is a 35 minute bus ride away.

Evans or Halfords is fine for buying locks.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
BikeKid

Post by BikeKid »

Thanks Vorpal, however I'm not saying that I will only use an exetender, I intend on using it in combination with a D lock
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

I dont want to upset you but living in London if you dont have a good lock you wont be having your bike long. sorry. since you cant afford one you cant afford to leave it ANYWHERE for very long, if at all. there is a shocking video of a tv programme about cycle theft in London you should watch.

[youtube]6AdugFzCi24[/youtube]

[youtube]rhPzF-hyC7Q[/youtube]
Last edited by mercalia on 8 May 2018, 10:27pm, edited 1 time in total.
BikeKid

Post by BikeKid »

mercalia wrote:I dont want to upset you but living in London if you dont have a good lock you wont be having your bike long. sorry. since you cant afford one you cant afford to leave it ANYWHERE for very long, if at all.

No, I can afford it, just wanted to ask if there were any cheaper alternatives that worked just as well.

I found this relitavely good looking lock for just under 40 quid (originally £60) and just wanted to ask if it's any good I've been browsing around halfords and I found this reliatively good looking lock but I wanted to get your opinion on it. http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-lo ... flex-cable
igauk

Post by igauk »

To answer your question directly, the Kryptonite Kryptolok Series 2 Standard, about £30 on Amazon, as recommeded here: http://thebestbikelock.com/best-u-lock/. Scroll down for the best budget U Locks
Moulton TSR 30
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

BikeKid wrote:
mercalia wrote:I dont want to upset you but living in London if you dont have a good lock you wont be having your bike long. sorry. since you cant afford one you cant afford to leave it ANYWHERE for very long, if at all.

No, I can afford it, just wanted to ask if there were any cheaper alternatives that worked just as well.

I found this relitavely good looking lock for just under 40 quid (originally £60) and just wanted to ask if it's any good I've been browsing around halfords and I found this reliatively good looking lock but I wanted to get your opinion on it. http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-lo ... flex-cable

That seems pretty good value for money, and I think it is a reasonable lock for your bike, parked in fairly secure places. It's not (as mercalia points out) a lock to secure a bike to fence outside a station and leave for hours.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

The cheapest Sold Secure Gold lock I know of is the OnGuard Brute, which is £25.99 from Tredz (on-line, so you might need some help from mum)

It doesn't come with an extender, but an extender is really just a cable with loops to go onto the D lock. It's more secure to use a separate lock, though the main point of either is to prevent the easy theft of wheels.