Anyone Seen a Good deal on Nice 700c Touring Tyres?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
itaa

Anyone Seen a Good deal on Nice 700c Touring Tyres?

Post by itaa »

Need fast rolling 700 tyres in about 32-40mm size , something like 35-37mm (what I have currently) would be the best.

Have been looking at the Schwalbe Supreme or Almotion however can't really find them anywhere cheaper than £44 for a pair shipped for the Supremes
Has anyone seen some decent deals lately on something like this?
Don't really want the standard Marathons (heavy&not as responsive compared to those from what I have read)

At the moment thinking about just getting the Continental Sport Contact II at £20 a pair shipped as they still have very good rolling resistance.
MarcusT

Re: Anyone Seen a Good deal on Nice 700c Touring Tyres?

Post by MarcusT »

Chain Reaction Cycles always has a good deal. I did not think that the Sport Contact came wider than 28mm
I wish it were as easy as riding a bike
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

IIRC the sport contact and sport contact II are now discontinued and the remaining ones on sale are old stock. There is a replacement tyre which is the 'contact speed' which AFAICT is a very similar tyre. I think they renamed it in part because folk had difficulty finding tyres owing to the fact that they have car tyres etc with the same name.

The sport contact tyres are quite nice to ride on but they seem to perish relatively quickly.

A better tyre (IME) of this sort is the vittoria voyager hyper, but this too is being discontinued. Planet X occasionally have these at good prices.

Marathons are a good tyre for what they are, which is a durable puncture resistant tyre, a different thing.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
RickH

Post by RickH »

Another vote for the voyager hypers here. I've been running a set of 38s for over 12 months (probably around 2000 miles) & am more than happy with them. They are currently £19.99 at Planet X

My friend's tandem has Panaracer Ribmos which seems a decent tyre. The tandem is limited to 32s because of clearances but there is also a 35 mm version available, also £19.99 at Planet X.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

Have a look at planet X, they often have good deals. I like panaracer pasela PT. Oops didn't read the other replies