Anyone with experience of FLINGER mudguards ?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Graham

Anyone with experience of FLINGER mudguards ?

Post by Graham »

SPA Cycles are offering these Deluxe mudguards at approx 50% more cost than the std. SKS chromoplastics.

I need some new mudguards. I will NOT be buying Longboards again.

It is either back to std. SKS chromoplastics or try something better / longer-lasting.
Bonefishblues

Re: Anyone with experience of FLINGER mudguards ?

Post by Bonefishblues »

The stays are thicker guage than others which keeps them more rigid, but that's all I know, not having used them.
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

I have some although I've yet to ride with them. They follow the current fashion for being a little shorter than mudguards of the recent past. Apart from being thicker, the stays are also shaped to clear disc brakes if that is of interest.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Mini V's bike has them. I think the little mud flap thing at the end is a bit better the SKS mudguards (yes, I've followed her in the rain), however, if you want to add your own mudflap, they might not work as well for that.

Other than that, I don't find them much different to other mudguards. It's too soon to tell anything about durability. Mini V's are less than a year old. But they have seen several months of daily usage without any problems.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Graham

Post by Graham »

Thanks all.

- Shorter than general convention . . . . No thanks.
- Accommodate disk brakes . . . . . . not relevant to me.
- Yes, I definitely want to add my own double-thickness-DPC mudflaps . . . .

I'll be buying some SKS chromoplastics.
PT1029

Post by PT1029 »

What do the (not pictured) " state of the art Euro breakaway clips" look like?
On many cheaper mud guards, they usually break in use, rather than break away when needed. The only way to provide spares (at work) is to scavenge old ones.
For me SKS Chromoplastics every time (and cheaper in the (very) long (lasting) run.

Cheers.
freiston

Post by freiston »

Why won't you be buying longboards again?
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
Graham

Post by Graham »

Longboards are too long, or rather the built-in mudflaps are too rigid.

When the rigid mudflaps catch a kerb ( front ) or wheeling the bike vertically ( back ) they will eventually break.

Having broken the front mudflap a couple of times and then bodged it back on, I reverted to double layer of PVC Damp-Proof-Course.

When a stick jammed the front, the safety clips sprang out and the the mudguard itself fractured.

Longboards SEEMED like a good idea, but have had the shortest lived service life.
freiston

Post by freiston »

Thanks for the reply, Graham. I have relatively new longboards on my bike but I don't get a lot of mileage nowadays. I have noticed that they scoop up gravel and leaves more readily than they let go of said gravel and leaves, and I've had to prod muck out that had built up to noisily rub the tyre. Thankfully I've not had any breaks (yet) but I've had the front flap tuck up inside the guard a couple of times going off a kerb mounted. The first time it happened, I didn't realise and mistook the noise of the tyre rubbing the flap for a pinch p******e - was quite relieved when I realised.
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
Ash28

Post by Ash28 »

I’ve got some. Comparing them with SKS which I also have, I would say they they are more robust. The stays are thicker and they don’t wobble about as much. Probably a bit heavier than SKS. I bought some 24” Vavert mudguards for my daughters bike which seem to be very similar.
The Only Cyclist In The Village