Are there any classic bike restorers here?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
mercalia

Are there any classic bike restorers here?

Post by mercalia »

there is a guy advertising a -RALEIGH-LENTON-CLUBMAN 1949 on ebay for £600, in as he puts it vintage condition

RALEIGH-LENTON-CLUBMAN
RALEIGH-LENTON-CLUBMAN

to my uneducated eyes it just a bit of junk, how on earth can any one restore a bike in that condition, what is there to restore?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VERY-RARE-RALEIGH-LENTON-CLUBMAN-1949-ROAD-BIKE-REYNOLDS-531/263676623274?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649
1942alexander

Re: Are there any classic bike restorers here?

Post by 1942alexander »

mercalia wrote:there is a guy advertising a -RALEIGH-LENTON-CLUBMAN 1949 on ebay for £600, in as he puts it vintage condition
to my uneducated eyes it just a bit of junk, how on earth can any one restore a bike in that condition, what is there to restore?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VERY-RARE-RALEIGH-LENTON-CLUBMAN-1949-ROAD-BIKE-REYNOLDS-531/263676623274?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

I've done a few total bike restorations. That one's not something I would want to refurbish, even if it was free. Everything on that bike will be expensive to replace or repair and unless you have an emotional attachment to the marque it's just not special enough to spend the time and money on it. It would, of course, come in useful if it was very inexpensive, as a frame to experiment or practice on.
Cheers.... Alex
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

My dad had one of those!

I think the guy is being rather over optimistic with his price - in that condition fifty quid tops.

It's certainly not an impossible restoration but depending how far you wanted to go, not cheap.

Even restored/renovated to as new I don't think he'd easily sell it for that much.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Look closely! Is it actually in very good condition but has just been made to look tatty to deter theives? :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

The £600 is a reduced price, originally he was asking much more - I think £800. I think he is a chancer thats all. The only bit that looks useable is the saddle as it hasnt drooped
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Lentons are usually over priced. its all in the name. Couple of hundred quid is all its really worth at best. Lots of that will be replaced unless you want it really original and I bet (not knowing the details) much of what's there isn't original.
1942alexander

Post by 1942alexander »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Look closely! Is it actually in very good condition but has just been made to look tatty to deter theives? :wink:

I've just magnified the image and, as you say, the frame looks in relatively good condition, in fact it looks in a lot better condition than this one...
WFHsmallfile.jpg

which became this...
WFHsmall.jpg

after £1500 and untold hours were spent on it. The problem with the Raleigh is that when brought back to "as new" the cost of refurbishing will be more than its value, but I could be mistaken.
willcee

Post by willcee »

You're not mistaken, apart from RRA or Raleigh Record Ace, and perhaps a ex Team bike, i doubt and i wouldn't be totally in the loop these days.. Lentons, Gran sports, and many nice old school 40's 50's 60's 70's of the Marque are these days restored to better than new by guys who indulge themselves as it was the bike they rode back in the day, as is said on here that would cost way more than the market would value them..I have bought and sold Lentons and restored, well oily rag resto on a Gold 62 Gran sport it had been stored in a loft and apart from cables chain tyres and tape didn't need much ,it sold well, only bought it as my father had indulged me 11 + result, with the same machine in 63 a flam ruby ,Brooks swallow saddle,campag 5 sp Gran sport. the one that they all want is the early RRA which claimed to be the lightest prewar road bike at 22 lbs with guards and its unique rear carrier...they had several features that distinguished the carrier, headclip h/set, chainset and pedals were all unique to the model .. I have cycled a few miles on one and they are a nice ride.. and later found a barn stored frame decided that it would cost a fortune to do correctly, sold well..that Lenton i wouldn't even touch with a pole..its an early one, headclip headset and Bluemels spearpoint celluoid front guard... but a chancer big time..will
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Hmmm ridiculous especially when this Lenton is on the same website for £275

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Raleigh-Lent ... SwBmlaiz8P

'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
I still see lots of Raleigh's at the tip.................not bought any yet even if they are really cheap...I am tempted...one day.

I think he was taken in and bought a dog for that money...good luck with that.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Has anyone checked the seller's other stuff for sale on Ebay?

I'm of the opinion anyone can ask whatever for whatever it is they're selling.Whether anyone buys is another matter......
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
reohn2 wrote:Has anyone checked the seller's other stuff for sale on Ebay?

I'm of the opinion anyone can ask whatever for whatever it is they're selling.Whether anyone buys is another matter......

There is an app not that I use any, for Ebay, type in the product and you are presented with all those products and their prices................
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
reohn2 wrote:Has anyone checked the seller's other stuff for sale on Ebay?

There is an app not that I use any, for Ebay, type in the product and you are presented with all those products and their prices................

I'm awere of it :wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

pete75 wrote:Hmmm ridiculous especially when this Lenton is on the same website for £275

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Raleigh-Lent ... SwBmlaiz8P

slight diference isnt there :lol: