How many shifter types do you have?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
gregoryoftours

Re: How many shifter types do you have?

Post by gregoryoftours »

The utility cyclist wrote:EZ/rapid-fire an abomination?
Flat bar STI levers are one of the best gear lever types invented, they're long lasting IME, easy to lube, offer accurate and mutiple shifts in either direction with not a huge amount of effort.
They are also brilliantly positioned, far better than d/t, bar ends and push/pull flat bar shifters and I've had some of thd top quality stuff in all three of those categories.
To rubbish them is ignorant of what they offer and advantages over other shifter types both in terms of gear shifting but also safety.

No ez fire are not STI lever/shifters in general, they are the particular ones talked about which have one lever on top of the shifter and one below. I find this really awkward ergonomically, hence in my opinion they should be dropped into the volcano along with the Thetans,
in particular the ones with red levers on top that feel as if you are shifting through sponges stuck to your fingers- 'thub' 'thub'. Trigger shifters in general I love, although I prefer the ones that are not integrated with the brake levers as they offer more flexibility in terms of position.
drossall

Post by drossall »

The Brompton has different trigger shifts on each side - the right does an SA hub and the left a two-speed derailleur.

Other than that, D/T friction (3), Ergo 8, Ergo 9 and Ergo 10 (this one via a ShiftMate to a Shimano 9), Shimano 9 (2), Deore 9 (flat bar), and none at all (2) :D
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

gregoryoftours wrote:
The utility cyclist wrote:EZ/rapid-fire an abomination, sorry but that's the biggest load of tosh.
Flat bar STI levers are one of the best gear lever types invented, they're long lasting IME, easy to lube, offer accurate and mutiple shifts in either direction with not a huge amount of effort.
They are also brilliantly positioned, far better than d/t, bar ends and push/pull flat bar shifters and I've had some of thd top quality stuff in all three of those categories.
To rubbish them is ignorant of what they offer and advantages over other shifter types both in terms of gear shifting but also safety.

No ez fire are not STI lever/shifters in general, they are the particular ones talked about which have one lever on top of the shifter and one below. I find this really awkward ergonomically, hence in my opinion they should be dropped into the volcano along with the Thetans,
in particular the ones with red levers on top that feel as if you are shifting through sponges stuck to your fingers- 'thub' 'thub'. Trigger shifters in general I love, although I prefer the ones that are not integrated with the brake levers as they offer more flexibility in terms of position.

EZ fire ARE STI levers, I've had the early ones which were a single arm with a separate thumb/finger position, I never had an issue with them and they are still a marked improvement over d/t levers, push/pull bar mounted and bar ends for that matter.
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

ez fire shifters are the particular types of sti shifters that have one lever on top of the unit and one below. They come in old and current varieties but all share this feature except for some of the really early ones that you described that have a single lever underneath that does double duty. The other types of Shimano sti shifters where both gear levers are on the underside of the unit are not ez fire. It's the ez fire design that I personally don't like by which I mean all of the STI units that have one lever above and one below. I don't mind other types of Shimano STI shifters, although I prefer separate rapid fire pods to STI shifters.
Last edited by gregoryoftours on 30 May 2018, 8:32am, edited 1 time in total.
peetee

Post by peetee »

Shimano XT thumbshifters
Shimano Sora STi
Shimano Tiagra STi
Shimano Dura Ace STi
Sturmey Archer 5 twin cable
Sturmey Archer 3 speed
Campagnolo S. Record downtube friction
Campagnolo Mirage ergo ('orrid :evil: )
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

Rohloff twist grip on bars
SA twin trigger for old 5-speed Brompton
Tiagra 3 x 9-speed STI
Currently riding old half-step triple 531 tourer with Simplex Retrofriction DT levers 8)
mjr

Post by mjr »

The utility cyclist wrote:EZ/rapid-fire an abomination?

What advantages? They don't last as long as thumb shifters, they're harder to lube than them, they're no more accurate than indexed thumb shifters and their multiple shifts are generally limited to 2 or at most 3 gears at a time (while thumb shifters can do the whole range in one push if you want). Positioning is not much different. Meanwhile, EZ-Fires have no friction mode (so are very specific to one rear cassette/freewheel), it's difficult to extract some types of snapped cable without the magic spring escaping and then it's very difficult to get the shifter back together in a fully-working order, the plastic goes brittle in a few years and they seem to be among the first things to get cracked in crashes. The main advantage they have seems to be more money for Shimano, every time you change the back end and a significant minority of the times you drop the bike.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
BigG

Post by BigG »

Just one! Once I discovered Suntour Command Shifters about 30 years ago I stopped looking. I have them fitted to all 3 of my bikes controlling a 5-speed Huret Duopar, a 6-speed Shimano XT 761 SGS and an 8-speed (9-speed spacing on a 7-speed hub) XT 761 SGS. The front mechs are all old Suntour reverse action friction only triples.