Getting into cycling

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
mercalia

Re: Getting into cycling

Post by mercalia »

tatanab wrote:
Damo78 wrote:I usually use miles, but seems km is used mostly on here :)
Only by some. The signposts are in miles and we live in a country where we still use imperial measurements such as mph and pints for beer. I think some like to use km because it gives bigger numbers :P To encourage the OP; many years ago a work mate decided to start cycling the 1 1/2 miles (just over 2km) to work. At one point there is a slight gradient, probably about 1 in 50. When he got to work he had to sit at the bottom of the stairs for 5 minutes before he could climb a whole single flight. I think the problem that many people like him face is that they think cycling is going to be hard and so they make it hard by stomping a big gear. It is good to hear that the OP is finding pleasure in cycling, just don't fret so much about speed, be it kph or mph.

5 miles = 8 kms

so 100 miles = 160kms hmm doing 100kms not such a big deal :wink: just 60 miles or so
nick1984

Post by nick1984 »

Another 10k or 6.5 miles :) really enjoying this new hobby

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly bog brush using hovercraft full of eels
nick1984

Post by nick1984 »

Been a while, have got a new bike since and increased route length to 10 miles minimum. New cleats, shoes and a few other bits.....turned into an expensive hobby

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly bog brush using hovercraft full of eels
whoof

Post by whoof »

nick1984 wrote:. New cleats, shoes and a few other bits.....turned into an expensive hobby

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my stupid phone.

If you are working and currently commute by car or public transport try cycling instead and it may turn out to be a very cheap hobby.
nick1984

Post by nick1984 »

I’ve started cycling to work twice a week, the other days I’m on daddy duties

whoof

Post by whoof »

nick1984 wrote:I’ve started cycling to work twice a week, the other days I’m on daddy duties

Having children sounds like a far more expensive hobby.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

whoof wrote:
nick1984 wrote:I’ve started cycling to work twice a week, the other days I’m on daddy duties

Having children sounds like a far more expensive hobby.

:lol: Especially when you introduce them to the delights of cycling, son now has as nearly as many bikes as I have....
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
nick1984

Post by nick1984 »

Here’s number 1 bike

nick1984

Post by nick1984 »

Been a while since I’ve posted on here, fleet has increased to 2 bikes, atarted a training plan and most of my rides are 20 miles plus [emoji1303] whoever said this hobby was expensive was so right...

whoof

Post by whoof »

nick1984 wrote:Been a while since I’ve posted on here, fleet has increased to 2 bikes, atarted a training plan and most of my rides are 20 miles plus [emoji1303] whoever said this hobby was expensive was so right...

Glad to hear that you are still at it.
WRT cycling being expensive it depends on what you do and what you compare it to. I commute and save well over £1000 per year on fuel, parking compared to driving. I don't spend £1000 a year on average buying bikes, components and cycle clothing so it's a net plus.
I know someone who likes bird watching which you would think after you're bought a pair of binoculars would be free. She spends thousands a year driving to the new Forest, Forest of Dean and flying to the Isles of Scilly and Shetland to watch birds.
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

I like to do at least one 100 mile ride during the Summer to know I can still manage it :D . I call it my 'free lunch ride' ....... By way of explanation:-
50 miles there would be 1 gallon of petrol if I was in the car, similarly another gallon on the return. The lunch cost is about the same as the fuel, and the calories? … I burn those off during the ride. An entirely 'free' lunch :lol:
PJ520

Post by PJ520 »

Have you looked at bike clubs? The one I belong to has rides of different efforts starting off at Leisurely (10-12 mph on the flat) all the way up to Super Strenuous (25mph+ on the flat). You should be able to find something similar. A club ride gives you a couple of things: (a) a discipline - you are a lot less likely to bail out of a ride if you are with a bunch of people of about the same ability and (b) nice people who share your interest. If you try a club and find yourself out of your depth on a ride by all means bail out but make sure you tell the person leading it so they aren't coming back to look for you. You shouldn't need a fancy bike to get started with a club, if you do it's the wrong club. If clubs in the UK are like mine you don't have to join to go on rides i.e. they're free.
You only live once, which is enough if you do it right. - Mae West
mjr

Post by mjr »

PJ520 wrote:If clubs in the UK are like mine you don't have to join to go on rides i.e. they're free.

Some are, but CUK and many BC clubs allow a few free trial rides and then you are expected to join.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Marcus Aurelius

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

PJ520 wrote:Have you looked at bike clubs? The one I belong to has rides of different efforts starting off at Leisurely (10-12 mph on the flat) all the way up to Super Strenuous (25mph+ on the flat). You should be able to find something similar. A club ride gives you a couple of things: (a) a discipline - you are a lot less likely to bail out of a ride if you are with a bunch of people of about the same ability and (b) nice people who share your interest. If you try a club and find yourself out of your depth on a ride by all means bail out but make sure you tell the person leading it so they aren't coming back to look for you. You shouldn't need a fancy bike to get started with a club, if you do it's the wrong club. If clubs in the UK are like mine you don't have to join to go on rides i.e. they're free.

Riding with a club, is most likely only going to make you want to quit riding IME, and possibly want to ram bike parts where the sun doesn’t shine, on the others in the club. I’m sure there are some clubs worth joining, but in the best part of 30 years riding, I’ve yet to find one.
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

in the best part of 30 years riding, I’ve yet to find one

How many clubs have you tried?