Getting into cycling

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
nick1984

Getting into cycling

Post by nick1984 »

Bit the bullet after many many months toying the idea of cycling

First outing was a quick 6k, think I’m gonna enjoy this.....haven’t touched a bike for over 10 years so watch this space!

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly bog brush using hovercraft full of eels
mercalia

Re: Getting into cycling

Post by mercalia »

6000? thats a lot for a quick ride
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

6 km
I did 12 km today :wink:
One could try doubling and doubling.. 24,48,96
I got to 192 but nowhere near 384 km. Yet

Did you have to learn to cycle again after so many years?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

nick1984 wrote:Bit the bullet after many many months toying the idea of cycling

It's fantastic, trust you find some decent local routes. And keep pushinhg it, as it gets better and better (I had 14 years half off, merely doing the odd 2-4 miles to the gym, with an occasional 2-3 years off altogether).

Just watch the expenditure in the first few months :wink: (Nb. I'm so glad that company I bought a £2500-3500carbon road bike off tried to deliver the wrong bike! Pity the about the cyclo cross machine, professional spds and all the rest of the cycling junk - and this from someone known for being a tight sod!)
nick1984

Post by nick1984 »

mercalia wrote:6000? thats a lot for a quick ride

Really? Took 17 mins. Ok for my first ride out I guess

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my iPad using hovercraft full of eels.
richardfm

Post by richardfm »

mercalia wrote:6000? thats a lot for a quick ride

6000m isn't far
Richard M
Cardiff
nick1984

Post by nick1984 »

Felt like it was :D got a few more routes to try over the next few weeks
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Hello and welcome.
Many more cycling miles ahead.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
nick1984

Post by nick1984 »

Another 6k tonight, slightly quicker this time.

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly bog brush using hovercraft full of eels
ricardito

Post by ricardito »

As long as you're comfortable that you're not developing any injuries or other health issues, and you're coping physically, and most important, enjoying being out on your bike, you could look at increasing your distances by anything up to 5km at a time, or a bit more if you're confident.

Once you're out for a couple of hours at a stretch you can reward yourself with a cafe stop half way round (I like to stop just beyond half way if I can, so I can enjoy my coffee in the knowledge that I've done most of the work :wink: )
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

From my own experience re-starting cycling (previous cycling ended at 19 years old!) - decide why you enjoy it and don't become too focused on things you actually don't find enjoyment in. In my own case I enjoy being out in the countryside, fresh air, wildlife, etc. yet on occasions I find myself watching my average speed, trying to keep up higher and I end-up not enjoying those rides so much.

Nothing wrong with wanting to complete given distance in given time (if that is what you enjoy), just always remember you do it for your enjoyment and focus on those aspects you enjoy.

Ian
nick1984

Post by nick1984 »

I was most pleased that it wasn’t longer more than anything. Im not into beatings times yet, Im looking to improve fitness to start with. I haven’t touched a bike in 18 years and can safely say I feel sorry for those poor tyres. Have only been out twice now but have enjoyed both rides even though I’m absolutely ruined by the time I get back.

Damo78

Post by Damo78 »

I got back into cycling 4 years ago this month after about 14 or 15 years out of it. Started at 3.2km (I usually use miles, but seems km is used mostly on here :) ) which killed me, then 6.4km, then 12.8km, then broke the pattern by accidentally taking a wrong turning and did 32km. Kept doing around about that distance for a while though, got bored, decided I needed something to motivate me into doing more, so signed up to a 100 mile (edit: 161km, too used to using miles and now mixing it up) sportive, which forced me to increase my distance. Never looked back.
nick1984

Post by nick1984 »

Went out again tonight, 8.1k and it didn’t feel any diff to the 6k Ive been doing. [emoji1303]
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

Damo78 wrote:I usually use miles, but seems km is used mostly on here :)
Only by some. The signposts are in miles and we live in a country where we still use imperial measurements such as mph and pints for beer. I think some like to use km because it gives bigger numbers :P To encourage the OP; many years ago a work mate decided to start cycling the 1 1/2 miles (just over 2km) to work. At one point there is a slight gradient, probably about 1 in 50. When he got to work he had to sit at the bottom of the stairs for 5 minutes before he could climb a whole single flight. I think the problem that many people like him face is that they think cycling is going to be hard and so they make it hard by stomping a big gear. It is good to hear that the OP is finding pleasure in cycling, just don't fret so much about speed, be it kph or mph.