a display solution?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
foxyrider

a display solution?

Post by foxyrider »

So i've done one or two sportives/charity rides over the years and one almost standard component is the ride Gong. They of course come in all sorts of shapes / sizes, often with event specific ribbons - certainly some nicer than others. Not counted but I think i've got @ 20 of the things.

Thing is, it seems a shame to hide them away in a draw / cupboard / box so does anyone have any (sensible) solutions for displaying them? Needs to be simple, cheap and not take up too much space.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
jgurney

Re: a display solution?

Post by jgurney »

A3 size photo frames can be had at about £15 - £20. Could one of those hold the medals pinned to a sheet of backing paper?
paddler

Post by paddler »

You could probably get something to hang them from on a wall. My daughter gave me one for hanging running medals from. It is running specific - it has 'Mud Sweat and Tears' written on it. Bet you could get cycle ones though. (I just Googled 'Medal display rack' and there are loads!) Even some using curtain poles!

Dave
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

What about something cycle themed, like arranged in a wheel rim, hanging from and old set of bars (I'm sure I've seen pictures of bars on an old stem stewed to the wall) or onto some old chainrings.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

A friend of mine had a "shield" shape of wood with hooks on.
He displayed his cycling medals hung on the hooks.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Glued to a generously sized tool box.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Piece of wood always looks good.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Jontrev

Post by Jontrev »

plank
cotswolds

Post by cotswolds »

I have loads of them, they seem to accumulate in backs of draws, draped over corners of mirrors, etc.

Before a Christmas a few of them seemed to disappear. They reappeared on Christmas day turned in to a wind chime - just an attractive bit of branch, with the medals hanging from it suspended by nylon cord (the ribbons have gone). It hangs in the porch and works nicely.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Photograph them (digital) and get one of those digital photo frame things that displays each loaded picture for a set time then the next, etc.
This sort of thing https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/cameras-and-camcorders/photography-accessories/digital-photo-frames/logik-l08dpf13-8-digital-photo-frame-black-10142109-pdt.html#srcid=11026 - loads of different ones available for a wide range of prices. I've never used one myself so can't recommend any (but have loaded them for others).

Ian
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

Double sided sticky pads to make them into non-functional fridge magnets!
drossall

Post by drossall »

Back in the days when clubs handed out standard medals, we used to put them in A4 or similar files in coin-collecting wallets. I still have mine somwhere. I imagine that your medals are rather larger.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

drossall wrote:Back in the days when clubs handed out standard medals, we used to put them in A4 or similar files in coin-collecting wallets. I still have mine somwhere. I imagine that your medals are rather larger.

The ones in question are indeed larger and mostly 3D too! I've a pile of medals too so your solution is actually not a bad idea for those.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!