Does anyone know whats a good 2nd hand bike within £200-£600?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
PendingNewName

Does anyone know whats a good 2nd hand bike within £200-£600?

Post by PendingNewName »

Hi, Im totally new to bikes and I have NO CLUE what to buy.

I live in london and Id love to get myself into riding, so Id like to know if anyone care to help me with suggestions on what bike should I buy?

Im willing to spend anywhere between £200-£600, Ill be riding in city roads.

Also should I buy used or new for this price range?

Thanks and any feedback/help is appreciated.
cycleruk

Re: Does anyone know whats a good 2nd hand bike within £200-£600?

Post by cycleruk »

Suggest that you look in at Decathlon for new ones. Will give you an idea of what's on offer.
Other shops will have different makes and could include Halfords, Evans besides your "local bike shop" (LBS).
2nd hand will have no warranty but could be a better buy if you know what your buying.
(2nd hand may need some maintenance so can you do this yourself or will you have to pay for someone to do this?)
Also check out the "For Sale" on here besides Gumtree. If buying 2nd hand (maybe of Ebay) make sure it's not stolen.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
Airsporter1st

Post by Airsporter1st »

PendingNewName wrote:Hi, Im totally new to bikes and I have NO CLUE what to buy.

I live in london and Id love to get myself into riding, so Id like to know if anyone care to help me with suggestions on what bike should I buy?

Im willing to spend anywhere between £200-£600, Ill be riding in city roads.

Also should I buy used or new for this price range?

Thanks and any feedback/help is appreciated.

I'm quite a new returner to cycling and have two hybrids; one I bought new and one second hand. The second hand one cost me £375 and is vastly better than the new one I paid £550 for, in practically every respect. However, I dropped lucky with the former. It had been bought new for £1275 and the owner had ridden it about 20 miles, got a sore a**e and promptly lost interest. The bike was therefore in practically new condition, despite being four years old. He advertised it on a non-cycling forum with relatively low membership, so no surprise there were no takers until I made a low offer and he accepted. Long story short, I would definitely go second-hand to get higher spec components for a given budget, but only for something in excellent condition.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Your first stop should be a bike shop. ATM you don't know anything, after a visit to a half decent shop you should know the sort of bike you are looking for, your size and hopefully a little about the difference between a £200 and a £600 bike in that style.

It really is worth the effort, you'll have a better idea when you are looking at s/h and the row of shiny new stuff.

There are definate positives in buying new - warranty, sizing/fitting, included maintenance checks and you may well be able to score a deal for ancillaries like lights and a lock.

There are some benefits to buying used, yes you might get a real bargain but they are rear. Of course stolen bikes are one issue but there is usually. A serious reason for a sale - often something is broken or not working which might cost as much as the bike to fix. (when I worked in the trade this was the biggest problem with s/h purchases coming into the shop.) of course the other more important thing is that they will be what they are in regards size - do not buy something that is too big/small - it's a sure way to keep your cycling career short.

And cycling isn't easy, yes, pretty much anyone can ride as far as the shops but if your intention is to do more there is more to consider. A shop can advise on machine suitability for your use - please listen to them, they are the experts, you are a beginner.
All too often i've spent hours sorting out the right bike for someone only for them to buy something completely inappropriate because a bloke in the pub has some shiny thing or X said you are talking bull - really?

Expect to get tired, be uncomfortable, have a sore a++*e, etc - heck i've been riding for over 40 years and I was still tired, aching and sore on today's ride! Don't expect to be able to ride 50 miles on your first ride, or the second or the third. Like any activity it takes time to train the body to use different muscle groups, to get a comfortable position etc.

Good luck on your quest and welcome indeed to the world of self propelled transport!
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
rotavator

Post by rotavator »

Take a look at a B'Twin Triban 520 at Decathlon: it seems a good value bike to me and is quite versatile
PendingNewName

Post by PendingNewName »

rotavator wrote:Take a look at a B'Twin Triban 520 at Decathlon: it seems a good value bike to me and is quite versatile

I was actually looking at the 500 just moments ago.

Does anyone know if these bikes are any good?

https://www.lightinthebox.com/p/21-spee ... =1.10.11.0

https://www.lightinthebox.com/p/700c-bi ... =1.10.11.0

thanks
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

What sort of riding do you anticipate doing?
gaz

Post by gaz »

PendingNewName wrote:Does anyone know if these bikes are any good?

They don't look it to me.

The first is described as 21 speed, the second as 7 speed. The first is pictured as 14 speed, the second variously as 7 or 14 speed. The second also has pictures with flat bars and with drop bars. Two different wheel sizes are quoted for both as if they are the same thing.

Components appear low end, certainly much lower than the alleged original prices and possibly lower than the current sale price. A significant amount of self assembly is required, not for the inexperienced.

They both appear to be sold on a one size fits all basis, it doesn't. I think purchase would lead to disappointment.

If at all possible try to beg/borrow/hire a few different bikes to see what you like and test ride before you buy.
Airsporter1st

Post by Airsporter1st »

PendingNewName wrote:
rotavator wrote:Take a look at a B'Twin Triban 520 at Decathlon: it seems a good value bike to me and is quite versatile

I was actually looking at the 500 just moments ago.

thanks

I would steer clear of those. They look like Chinese copies. You would do best to stick with the known brands, Cube, Giant, Boardman (Halfords), Trek, Scott, Pinnacle (Evans), BTwin (Decathlon) etc. etc.

As a previous poster has said, go to your local bike shop and/or Halfords or Evans for advice, but don't be pushed into a purchase there and then. Once you have a better idea of what you are looking for then read reviews online and come back on here for more specific advice. We all have our favourites, so opinions will vary, but most will agree regarding e.g. the key components.
Sweep

Regards: Does anyone know whats a good 2nd hand bike within £200-£600?

Post by Sweep »

Don't know what size you are pending, but if you are medium sized i can let you have a byercycles flat bar light tourer hybrid like bike for £500 or maybe a shade less. It's the equivalent of a hewitt (google them). Very lightly used, good components and hand built wheels. I bought it off an old chapbwho gave it very light use. I have never ridden it more than a trip round the local park as i found it too small fir me. Been stored in my back bedroom ever since. Pm me if interested and I will send full details. Am in south london.
Sweep
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Bonefishblues wrote:What sort of riding do you anticipate doing?

Very important question needs to be sorted before looking at bikes.

Ian
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Psamathe wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:What sort of riding do you anticipate doing?

Very important question needs to be sorted before looking at bikes.

Ian

Indeed - without this, then the answer to the OP's question is "yes" :D
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

if I had that sort of budget I would be looking at Decathlon as others have suggested.... decent bikes, with some decent components that they can discount due to the numbers they can buy in/ sell.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
hamster

Post by hamster »

PendingNewName wrote:I was actually looking at the 500 just moments ago.

Total garbage; my LBS had something similar in recently from a chap who had bought one and learned the hard way. The mechanic condemned it - many parts were non-functional. Bearing in mind a set of Shimano cable disc calipers costs £72 at retail you can see that something is amiss. Note how the pictures and description don't match - for example wheels. It's essentially a sub-£200 Tesco bike.
https://www.tesco.com/direct/barracuda- ... d=613-0448