Dawes Horizon frame number

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Cottonduck66

Dawes Horizon frame number

Post by Cottonduck66 »

I've just bought a Dawes Horizon Tour of, I think, late 90s vintage. The paint and decals all look original and it has Dawes stamped into the top of the seat stays. It also announces that it was made in the UK. But where did they hide the frame number?? Not under the BB for sure. I have read that it might be found on the L side dropout but it's certainly not on the outside of it on mine. Any ideas anyone?
mercalia

Re: Dawes Horizon frame number

Post by mercalia »

Cottonduck66 wrote:I've just bought a Dawes Horizon Tour of, I think, late 90s vintage. The paint and decals all look original and it has Dawes stamped into the top of the seat stays. It also announces that it was made in the UK. But where did they hide the frame number?? Not under the BB for sure. I have read that it might be found on the L side dropout but it's certainly not on the outside of it on mine. Any ideas anyone?

strange my one down 1999 has it under bb, may be has been painted over?
Cottonduck66

Post by Cottonduck66 »

Thanks Mercalia. This spurred me on to look again in better light and there it was.. Nil points to me for observation. It begins with a letter then 99. Can I assume it was built in 1999?
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Cottonduck66 wrote:... It begins with a letter then 99. Can I assume it was built in 1999?

In the absence of anything from somebody who knows, the info on previous queries about Dawes frame numbers is that all the records relating to UK frame production were lost and none were kept after production was transferred abroad. If there's some sort of website where info has been collated by owners I don't remember seeing it mentioned.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

They are decent bikes. I used to have one before it was vandalised in Streatham Sainsburys car park. The only thing cheap about them were the wheels, handle bars and the brakes levers, the derailleurs were basic but worked well. - the frames were the same as on the Galaxies, 531 steel in my case of 1999 vintage, and the green paint job very tough. Was a 25" frame you just dont see these days