A good recumbent trike for arthritic knees?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
StormGriffin

A good recumbent trike for arthritic knees?

Post by StormGriffin »

I'm considering a recumbent trike. I find upright bikes painful at both ends and with seriously arthritic knees I'm not confident of putting my leg down when I stop as the knee is prone to collapsing. With knees they won't replace yet and a heart condition that needs exercise but not insanity, I'm not a candidate for long distance serious riding. Fun yes please. Ease of riding yes. light as possible too. good brakes.... foldable would be brilliant but I expect that's the most expensive on the marker.... I've read a little bit and of course fancy the Ti-Fly 20". way out of my price league! I used to play ice hockey and I do miss the speed and adrenaline rush but have to be a tad more sensible now.... I shall be trying some at a dealer in France in a couple of weeks time, but it would be good to be armed with a few hints as to what to avoid/look for so any suggestions will be much appreciated. A friend is determined to persuade me that I'll be terrified by being that close to the ground at speed and probably go under a truck in a couple of days riding.... just negative? or is there some evidence that it's that dangerous and a lot of people bale because of this speed sensation close to the ground thing?
Cunobelin

Re: A good recumbent trike for arthritic knees?

Post by Cunobelin »

StormGriffin wrote:I'm considering a recumbent trike. I find upright bikes painful at both ends and with seriously arthritic knees I'm not confident of putting my leg down when I stop as the knee is prone to collapsing. With knees they won't replace yet and a heart condition that needs exercise but not insanity, I'm not a candidate for long distance serious riding. Fun yes please. Ease of riding yes. light as possible too. good brakes.... foldable would be brilliant but I expect that's the most expensive on the marker.... I've read a little bit and of course fancy the Ti-Fly 20". way out of my price league! I used to play ice hockey and I do miss the speed and adrenaline rush but have to be a tad more sensible now.... I shall be trying some at a dealer in France in a couple of weeks time, but it would be good to be armed with a few hints as to what to avoid/look for so any suggestions will be much appreciated. A friend is determined to persuade me that I'll be terrified by being that close to the ground at speed and probably go under a truck in a couple of days riding.... just negative? or is there some evidence that it's that dangerous and a lot of people bale because of this speed sensation close to the ground thing?

I have ridden them since 1994 and have had no real issues...... you are doing the right thing in trying nd making your own decisions. The dangers and practical limitations are over exaggerated

On a practical note though....

How are you at standing?

More important is that some trikes being low can be difficult to mount and dismount.

On my wife's trike we adde a couple of "stand up aids" to make this easier

StormGriffin

Post by StormGriffin »

Oh good point! yes, the getting up from low places is an issue, so you've got a neat solution. thanks for the input....
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Are your arms strong?
There are hand-powered machines, used for rehabilitation or people who can not use their legs at all
Best would be maybe hand AND foot powered
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

Kettwiesel for ease of standing (no front axle to negotiate), or ICE Adventure (or 'T' secondhand) with 'helping handles' ?
With dodgy knees you'll need to watch the gearing (especially with a 559 rear wheel; 406 less problematic), as you'll probably want to 'spin' rather than 'mash'. An MTB crankset, possibly with shortened cranks, will usually get you there, provided your knees are OK with higher 'Q' factors.
Ignore well meaning friends: you will be noticed (!) by other traffic but, for your reassurance, a strong rear flasher and flag can be used.
Enjoy your quest :)
"42"
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

You'll be safer on a 'bent trike than a DF, particularly if you don't have confidence stopping on a DF.

The advantage of a trike is that there is no min speed, and you can treat your knees however you like with appropriate gearing.
The things to consider are getting up and down, and adding mirrors.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

[XAP]Bob wrote:You'll be safer on a 'bent trike than a DF, particularly if you don't have confidence stopping on a DF.

The advantage of a trike is that there is no min speed, and you can treat your knees however you like with appropriate gearing.
The things to consider are getting up and down, and adding mirrors.
What about a DF trike! No problem with getting up or down, just learning to ride the thing. A step through frame design would mean no problem with mounting. Look for George Longstaff, Trykit, possibly Ken Rogers or Higgins. Rogers and Higgins axles were also used by Bob Jackson and Jack Taylor, so you might find those names as well. Expect to pay something like £500 (or much more if you want) for a reasonable/good condition machine.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

An upright trike is an option, although I took the 'painful at both ends' to mean that the saddle was a sore point...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

^^ Fair enough. I just noticed that the OP is in France, so a recumbent is certainly easier to source.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Like Squeaker my immediate thought was a Kettwiesel for ease of on and off thanks to its relatively high seat.

And if you want fun, they are.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
StormGriffin

Post by StormGriffin »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Are your arms strong?
There are hand-powered machines, used for rehabilitation or people who can not use their legs at all
Best would be maybe hand AND foot powered

ok great, thanks for that....
StormGriffin

Post by StormGriffin »

[XAP]Bob wrote:An upright trike is an option, although I took the 'painful at both ends' to mean that the saddle was a sore point...

oh yeah! saddle definitely a sore point!
StormGriffin

Post by StormGriffin »

squeaker wrote:Kettwiesel for ease of standing (no front axle to negotiate), or ICE Adventure (or 'T' secondhand) with 'helping handles' ?
With dodgy knees you'll need to watch the gearing (especially with a 559 rear wheel; 406 less problematic), as you'll probably want to 'spin' rather than 'mash'. An MTB crankset, possibly with shortened cranks, will usually get you there, provided your knees are OK with higher 'Q' factors.
Ignore well meaning friends: you will be noticed (!) by other traffic but, for your reassurance, a strong rear flasher and flag can be used.

thanks heaps. noted your points re gears etc. dunno about the Q factors, experience will tell on that one I expect. and yes, a flag etc. good idea.
StormGriffin

Post by StormGriffin »

[XAP]Bob wrote:An upright trike is an option, although I took the 'painful at both ends' to mean that the saddle was a sore point...

yes! also the upright has neck pain issues for me, so a DF trike doesn't really appeal despite its easier mounting etc. as pointed out...
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

StormGriffin wrote:
squeaker wrote:Ignore well meaning friends: you will be noticed (!) by other traffic but, for your reassurance, a strong rear flasher and flag can be used.

thanks heaps. noted your points re gears etc. dunno about the Q factors, experience will tell on that one I expect. and yes, a flag etc. good idea.

As squeaker suggests, it's mainly a psychology thing. They don't seem to have any obvious effect, but when I lent my 'bent to a friend who had a spot of back trouble it came back with a flag, forced upon the rider by worried friends convinced he was practically invisible (seat about the same as a typical car's).

In practice the W-T-F factor applies to 'bents so you get noticed and typically a wide berth given.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...