Silver soldering

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Drake

Silver soldering

Post by Drake »

Is there a special flux for the above. If so any suggestions ?
Many thanks?
tatanab

Re: Silver soldering

Post by tatanab »

For soldering what materials?
Drake

Post by Drake »

tatanab wrote:For soldering what materials?

It's an airflow slide on a bbg. It consists of a very thin steel disc and a steel rod (approx 1/8 in dia) which detached itself from the disc. Originally the rod appears to have been spot welded to the disc (very tiny spot welds).
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

I've no idea what a bbg might be, but for silver soldering steel I use Easy-Flo http://www.jm-metaljoining.com/pdfs-pro ... Powder.pdf
Stainless steel requires a different flux.

The reason for asking for more information was because modern lead free solders for use on electronic assemblies contain silver and people sometimes call that silver solder.

If your disc is very thin you might have to be careful of warping if it is essential to keep the disc flat.
rjb

Post by rjb »

Lots of good advice in the tech too good to lose archive.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=49335

:wink:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Airsporter1st

Post by Airsporter1st »

tatanab wrote:I've no idea what a bbg might be, but for silver soldering steel I use Easy-Flo http://www.jm-metaljoining.com/pdfs-pro ... Powder.pdf
Stainless steel requires a different flux.

The reason for asking for more information was because modern lead free solders for use on electronic assemblies contain silver and people sometimes call that silver solder.

If your disc is very thin you might have to be careful of warping if it is essential to keep the disc flat.

I think the OP meant bbq - i.e. barbecue. The airflow disc has a number of cutouts which correspond to the same in the body oc the barbecue. By turning the disc the flow of air can be throttled and thus combustion controlled.
crazydave789

Post by crazydave789 »

going by the possible heat from said BBQ undoing said silver solder it might be easier to nut and bolt it.

or even some washers and a split pin.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

Drake wrote:
tatanab wrote:For soldering what materials?

It's an airflow slide on a bbg. It consists of a very thin steel disc and a steel rod (approx 1/8 in dia) which detached itself from the disc. Originally the rod appears to have been spot welded to the disc (very tiny spot welds).

could it be that the part could be repaired using a nut and bolt, or a self-tapping screw?

BTW I'd probably try with a MIG weld, but then I have a MIG welder to hand, so it is easy for me.

Also I'd note that BBQs tend to suffer with corrosion out of the BBQ season. This is likely to be a bit worse with any repair that uses dissimilar metals.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~