Can i put 28c tyres on to replace 23c ?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
p3dJ4

Can i put 28c tyres on to replace 23c ?

Post by p3dJ4 »

I currently have 23c tyres but i want to put 28c will there be enough space to put 28c?
here is picture of my bike with 23c

Front :

https://ibb.co/kYT1o8

back :

https://ibb.co/hgF4qo

thanks
PH

Re: can i put 28c tires

Post by PH »

I'd say probably not, though not all 28s on all rims actually measure 28mm.
But then different people have different ideas about what an adequate clearance is. Can you borrow a 28 of the type you're thinking of and try it? If you are anywhere near Derby I'll happily lend you a 28mm GP4s (About 27mm on an Open pro) and I'me sure there's others all over the country who'd do the same. Failing that, there's the more likely option of 25s that look to me like they'd be a better fit.
whoof

Post by whoof »

From those pictures I'd say no or at least not safely.
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

p3dJ4 wrote:I currently have 23c tires but i want to put 28c will there be enough space to put 28c?
here is picture of my bike with 23c

Front :

https://ibb.co/kYT1o8

back :

https://ibb.co/hgF4qo

thanks

In my experience a 28mm tyre will fit under most recent Shimano calliper road brakes with a standard drop. It's the frame that's likely to limit the fit.

For example, I have 28mm tyres on a Trek Domane of 2013 with Shimano 5700 105 brake callipers. The tyres just clear the brake calliper height-wise in the back, by a fag paper or three; and have about 2mm height clearance under the front calliper. Some say this is too close but the wheel/tyre circumference doesn't vary so there's no rub. It is possible to pick up a bit of tarry grit, which momentarily lodged under the rear brake bridge before being spat out. I suppose a small sharp could lodge there and cut the tyre .... but with greater clearance, the same thing could happen with a larger sharp.

Both 28mm tyres clear the stays (rear) and forks (front) by 6/8mm each side, even though the tyres measure 30mm actual width due to slightly wider internal rim width. There's no tyre rub due to wheel flex, even under a heavy out-of-saddle stomping. But wheels vary in their flex - the less stiffly-built type might rub.

In practice, the only way to see if the 28mms will fit without rub is to try some, including under hard pedalling, honking and so forth.

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Your 28's Cugel, fit like my 23's! There are deep gouges in the rear Super Record caliper from road kick up - and that's with skinny GP4000s2's

To the OP - be very aware that it's not only tyre width that varies but height too. A racy 28 may fit, a bulkier one not.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Marcus Aurelius

Re: Can i put 28c tyres on to replace 23c ?

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

Make sure the internal rim width is suitable for 28s as well. It probably will be, but I think your biggest issue will be with clearance of tyres with brake callipers and chain stays.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Can i put 28c tyres on to replace 23c ?

Post by Mick F »

Don't forget that some time in the autumn and winter, you'll want to fit mudguards.
Your 23mm would take them, but 28mm will not.
Mick F. Cornwall