Can anyone recommend a good Exercise Bike

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
magri21

Can anyone recommend a good Exercise Bike

Post by magri21 »

due to being knocked off my bike, I'm after a good quality exercise bike, just wondered if anyone had a recommendation I am looking for an exercise bike rather than a turbo trainer, thanks martin
Vorpal

Re: Can anyone recommend a good Exercise Bike

Post by Vorpal »

Sorry to hear about the off. I hope you make a full recovery.

I'd look on Gumtree or something. People buy those things and let them collect dust until they decide to sell them, so there are lots going used. I'm sure you can go try them before buying. You can see how noisy it is, if it's comfortable, if the saddle is easy to change for your own, etc.

You can probably pick up a decent one for £50 if you shop carefully.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
steve browne

Post by steve browne »

Monark ergometer. There's one on eBay at the moment for £55. It's got a very heavy flywheel which makes for smooth pedalling and you can fine tune the load easily. Very stable machine.
jawaka

Post by jawaka »

Could you consider stretching to a smart trainer? I love it as I can go into the garage and climb an alp or pyrenees ; you don't have to do the whole climb as they can be divided into short sections. Being a bit short of time I can do a 20 or 40 min session (followed by some interval work) rather than spending a long morning riding. The sun shines , no punctures dramatic scenery, no rain or cold, no traffic, good for trying different pedalling styles (see ctc mag april/may). It gives a power reading too and although I've no idea if it is accurate, it is at least consistent and since starting training my readings have gone up. Only thing is that I'm wondering if it isn't better than life