Stinky shoes

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
robing

Stinky shoes

Post by robing »

Just got back from tour and my cycling shoes really pen and ink. Anyone got any remedies?
CyberKnight

Re: Stinky shoes

Post by CyberKnight »

Bucket of hot soapy water , insoles out and scrub it all .
John Wayne: "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on... I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

Mycil powder in the shoes (Athletes foot powder/spray) or buy pair of sandals
NUKe

Post by boblo »

Put them in the freezer overnight, it'll kill the bacteria that causes the stink.
gaz

Post by gaz »

Grow taller, the source of the smell will be further from your nose and less noticeable :wink: .
hemo

Post by hemo »

:roll:
boblo wrote:Put them in the freezer overnight, it'll kill the bacteria that causes the stink.

Or your feet !!!
robing

Post by robing »

Washed them in soapy water, some improvement. Was 10/10 stink, now about a 4.
I have had them 6 years.
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

I have a pair of Specilized SPD shoes that I bought dirt cheap and although they use the old skool velcro straps to tighten I still wear them as much as more modern boa or ratchet strap shoes but they stink, or rather used to as I went to the expense of some bicarb of soda and sprinkled it inside the shoes and on the insole and left for 24 hours. I had my doubts but it has worked, I've worn the shoes several times since in warm weather and no noxious odours yet.
PH

Post by PH »

Redvee wrote:I went to the expense of some bicarb of soda and sprinkled it inside the shoes and on the insole and left for 24 hours. I had my doubts but it has worked, I've worn the shoes several times since in warm weather and no noxious odours yet.

Beat me to it, yep BoS is wonder stuff and not just for shoes, it's a useful household deodoriser. I'm sure if it was marketed as such it'd make someone rich...
CREPELLO

Post by CREPELLO »

PH wrote:
Redvee wrote:I went to the expense of some bicarb of soda and sprinkled it inside the shoes and on the insole and left for 24 hours. I had my doubts but it has worked, I've worn the shoes several times since in warm weather and no noxious odours yet.

Beat me to it, yep BoS is wonder stuff and not just for shoes, it's a useful household deodoriser. I'm sure if it was marketed as such it'd make someone rich...
They did, although I'm guessing you were being ironic PH. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEUTRADOL-VA ... 2578753173 It's just BoS with scent. To the OP, save your money and buy a KG of BoS https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sodium-Bicar ... oLiB72l9SQ
ratherbeintobago

Post by ratherbeintobago »

Febreeze (or the Saino’s own brand equivalent) - a couple of sprays in each shoe.

My previous Shimano shoes seemed to hum a lot worse than my current Spesh ones.