Lycra shorts with short leg?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
philvantwo

Re: Lycra shorts with short leg?

Post by philvantwo »

Yes to rolling them up, Yatesy said he rolled them up so he wouldn't have a funny looking sun tan on the beach!!
Thornyone

Post by Thornyone »

philvantwo wrote:Yes to rolling them up, Yatesy said he rolled them up so he wouldn't have a funny looking sun tan on the beach!!

Most of my time out of doors is spent on the bike. I also swim regularly (indoors) and get quite a few amused smiles in the summer as I enter the pool due to my very brown lower arms and lower legs sharply contrasting with white, and my head always looks silly in the summer: very brown face with panda eyes and white helmet strap “shadows”, with brown patches where the sun shines through the helmet vents. At least it proves I don't use a tanning parlour. :lol:
gxaustin

Post by gxaustin »

You need to do some sunbathing in your arm and leg warmers to even things up, mate :lol:
Samuel D

Post by Samuel D »

I think those leg grippers are a perfect example of the obsession with feature bullet-points rather than functional design. What earthly purpose do they serve? They’re a pure nuisance.

Decathlon shorts do tend to be short, at least the bib shorts I favour.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Can we have a link to a company that are selling shorts that are short, and without leg-grippers please?
I'm a bit wide in the waist department being of a certain age, but only 5ft 9ins.
Mick F. Cornwall
Thornyone

Post by Thornyone »

gxaustin wrote:You need to do some sunbathing in your arm and leg warmers to even things up, mate :lol:

Good suggestion. And a bag over my head too, I think. :lol:
Thornyone

Post by Thornyone »

mattsccm wrote:I found that Shutt shorts a bit more suitable for my short but perfectly formed legs. Currently using Pearl Izumi which are much the same . Sean Yates had the right idea. Roll them up.

Had a look at Shutt, but seem to be bib only? I don’t like bib shorts: one of the joyous advantages of summer cycling (in non-bib shorts) is, IMHO, easy access to the relevant anatomy for a quick discrete “lamp post stop”. So much nicer than all that urgent winter wrestling with multiple layers :lol:
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Can't say that I have noticed the difference when using a gateway. Pull front down. Done. Now something that needs seclusion would be slower with bibs.
tim-b

Post by tim-b »

Hi
Can we have a link to a company that are selling shorts that are short, and without leg-grippers please?

Here you go...link I've got the red/black version (in the multi-view panel below the main image) with black stitching. Definitely no gripper, just a hem. The bib is quite thick fabric, so look at their Clubman Light for a thinner bib and all black colour. IME they're as good as shorts that are twice the price
I found that the sizing is similar to Lusso, in which I wear XL; the Clubman is intended as a more "relaxed" fit so I can wear the L as well, although on my 6'1" the bib is a little short. If you go too large on size the leg diameter at the hem gets larger, which I guess is a downside of not having gripper fabric
Ideally try a couple of different sizes, returns are easy but at your expense
Their helmets are top quality too at excellent prices (I did read that they use the same factory as at least one of the "names" :wink: )
Regards
tim-b
~~~~¯\(ツ)/¯~~~~
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Thanks Tim. Good link.

Sorry, but they are bib shorts. Should've said I didn't want bibs.
Mick F. Cornwall
courtt

Post by courtt »

This doesn't fit many of your criteria at all but here at least is a manufacturer which knows there is a market for those of us who like short shorts:

https://www.giordana.co.uk/giordana-fr- ... r-leg-2016

I didn't want bib shorts either but I bought these (at what seems to be a sale price) and they are fantastic, for me at least, very comfortable for long hours in the saddle. However, as with most brands I am perplexed about why I need to buy two sizes too big, xxl for a 98cm waist! What do all the really big cyclists wear?

And it's one of my bugbears that neither manufacturers nor vendors ever specify the inseam leg length. It makes shopping online a really frustrating process and they could sort it out with very little effort.

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my SM-T813 using hovercraft full of eels.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I called in at the local Evans and also at Bikehut/Halfords taking a small tape measure. I was in a bit of a hurry as time was tight.
All the Bikehut ones were way too long with an inseam of circa 10" or more so I left there within a minute or two and gave them up as a bad job.

These at Evans measured 8.5" in L and XL sizes ............ whilst on the hanger.
https://www.evanscycles.com/fwe-men-s-b ... t-EV265698
Also, the grey stretchy thing at the bottom of the legs is un-hemmed so could be easily trimmed a bit to get them a bit shorter. There were no sticky leg grippers.

Next task for me, is to go back to Evans and try them on.
Next week or two.
Mick F. Cornwall
crazydave789

Post by crazydave789 »

Thornyone wrote:
Mick F wrote:Men's swimming trunks? What happened to them?

I wear Speedos, proper “budgie smugglers” :lol: , which I can still get hold of easily, and which do the job of covering one’s “equipment” without impeding progress through the water.

ASDA used to do a mens swimming short that was ideal as I've worn lycra as underwear for at least 30 years now. I think it was a daniel craig inspired thing as I haven't seen them for a while but they were an april may item then on the clearance rail by june type of thing.

they still do a swim short but no idea if they are the same thing or if they are baggies..