Lycra shorts with short leg?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Thornyone

Lycra shorts with short leg?

Post by Thornyone »

I like to wear padded lycra shorts (non-bib variety) and for several years now have been very happy with British-made Lusso shorts. I am dismayed that in their latest incarnation, for reasons beyond my comprehension, the company has decided to considerably increase the length of the leg. My legs are rather :wink: short and the longer length of the current “shorts” is a curse. I wonder whether anyone can recommend a shorter-legged alternative of similar quality to Lusso (about £40ish). I take a medium/34 in waist. Incidentally, I once bought some Tenns shorts online. Never have I come across more ludicrously-sized shorts, the measurements were pure fantasy, grossly undersized. Finally, ideally I’d like a fairly low-key design, not something that shouts “boy racer”. :lol:
roubaixtuesday

Re: Lycra shorts with short leg?

Post by roubaixtuesday »

I bought some decathlon shorts only to be dismayed for the opposite reason - on my rather tall frame they appear like hot pants.

So that could be a good option if you want short ones.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I have four or five Lusso shorts, and it's the old one I prefer as it's shorter by maybe two inches than the others.
They do indeed seem to be getting longer.
Worst thing though, is those awful leg-gripper things. Last pair I had with those, I cut them out.

There's a thread on this forum somewhere about "shorts" not being shorts, but "longs". Men's swimming trunks? What happened to them?

Some of us have nice legs!

I'll check out Decathlon. Thanks Brian.
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Mick F wrote:I'll check out Decathlon. Thanks Brian.
Just had a quick look, but not impressed at all.
I "cut" off the shorts on offer to show what I want. No doubt Thornyone may agree with me.
Screen Shot 2018-05-25 at 09.46.56.png
Mick F. Cornwall
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Mick, the ones I bought are nothing like that. I'm not off trawling through websites, but I guess they do (or did) other versions with different cuts.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
I don't like the cycling shorts that end between my quads and my knee :evil:
Do the makers of such know what a human looks like.
Cycling shorts should end on the quads before the dip to the knee.

Its a modern thing, fashion gone mad..........................
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Its a modern thing, fashion gone mad..........................
Agree completely, though where my quads are I don't know really. What I do know, is what is a comfortable length, and what is darned stupid.

Just dug out my shorts.
All four are Lusso. All XL size.

In reverse order of age though I don't know the actual dates I bought them.
Inside leg in inches, wearing them, not just spread out on the table.
10.5" - way too long. I don't wear them much.
10" - a bit too long. I wear them occasionally.
9" - ok length. I wear them often.
8.5" - Perfect length. I wear them as often as they are clean. Take 'em off, put them in the wash, dry them, wear them. :D

These last pair are getting thin, and really should be retired, but I'm unwilling to part with them.
Mick F. Cornwall
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

Triathlon shorts often have a shorter leg. They also tend to have narrower, thinner pads so you can run in them. If this is acceptable to you, it might be an avenue to explore.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
gxaustin

Post by gxaustin »

I like Lusso shorts too. Contact them and for a very modest sum they will alter them at their Manchester factory. Much cheaper than junking them. I got them to take the gripper in a bit on mine because the longer legs reached the point where my legs taper. Result - perfect fit.

Are the longer legs an attempt to reduce exposure to the sun? Fortunately I have long legs so they aren't too bad for length.
Thornyone

Post by Thornyone »

Mick F wrote:Men's swimming trunks? What happened to them?

I wear Speedos, proper “budgie smugglers” :lol: , which I can still get hold of easily, and which do the job of covering one’s “equipment” without impeding progress through the water.
Thornyone

Post by Thornyone »

gxaustin wrote:I like Lusso shorts too. Contact them and for a very modest sum they will alter them at their Manchester factory. Much cheaper than junking them. I got them to take the gripper in a bit on mine because the longer legs reached the point where my legs taper. Result - perfect fit.

Are the longer legs an attempt to reduce exposure to the sun? Fortunately I have long legs so they aren't too bad for length.

Thanks for the suggestion, I’ll contact them. Incidentally I doubt whether the trend to longer legs is driven by anything other than the dictates of fashion.
gxaustin

Post by gxaustin »

I doubt whether the trend to longer legs is driven by anything other than the dictates of fashion.

I did see a man with unfeasibly short shorts at a sportive and they were a bit creepy IMO - I suggest not going shorter than the length of the older Lusso shorts. But that's just my preference.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Found these.
Screen Shot 2018-05-25 at 12.59.14.png
Screen Shot 2018-05-25 at 12.59.14.png (42.52 KiB) Viewed 1878 times

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00 ... 3939440031
Mick F. Cornwall
yakdiver

Post by yakdiver »

I always have to cut mine down as I like short shorts, I have a sewing machine so it's very easy for me, and I hate that gripper thing on the bottom too.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

I found that Shutt shorts a bit more suitable for my short but perfectly formed legs. Currently using Pearl Izumi which are much the same . Sean Yates had the right idea. Roll them up.