Drop bar mirror.

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
cycleruk

Drop bar mirror.

Post by cycleruk »

Any recommendations for a rear view mirror to fit on a drop bar.
Obviously not to interfere with normal operations of STI shifters or position of hands. :roll:
had a look round but not seen anything that takes my fancy yet.

Cheers
You'll never know if you don't try it.
freiston

Re: Drop bar mirror.

Post by freiston »

Sorry - no recommendation but Decathlon do a cheap bar-end mirror - only £3.99 - so if it's not suitable, it's not an expensive mistake.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/bike-rear-v ... 58024.html

I keep toying with the idea of a mirror. I have bar-end shifters but all the mirrors that take my fancy are bar-end fitting. I tried a helmet-mounted mirror once but didn't get on with it - too small, too much vibration and I had to wear a helmet to use it ;). When it accidentally detached (and they do detach easily) in a pub on a refuelling stop (and its absence wasn't noticed until a couple of miles down the road), I didn't bother replacing it.
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

I have one that’s more in line with my drops... see if I can find it...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bike-Mirror-triple-adjustment-bar-end-Urban-and-Commute-bicycle-ZEFAL-CYCLOP/380991566978?hash=item58b4ddf482:g:bOMAAOxyYSdTC45Q

Zefal Cyclop. I've got one on each of my bikes, drop and straight bars. Wouldn't be without them so I keep a spare as well.
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

I have this Mirrycle, which fits on the old style brake hood (cable out from the top). They do make one that fits the new type, but I know nothing about that.

Not cheap.
nosmarbaj

Post by nosmarbaj »

Another +1 for this. Small enough not to get in the way, but big enough to get a decent view, and no stem which means minimal vibration.

The only drawback is it's incompatible with bar-end shifters. I have these shifters on one bike and use a Zefal Spy on that - IMO nowhere near as good as the B&M Cycle Star, but better than nothing.
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

I use a Cateye BM300g bar end mirror which is similar to the B&M one in other posts, but seems to have gone off the market. Nice big mirror, nice and steady and easy to adjust on the move, I would recommend that type.

I did try a Zefal Spy mirror but found it very small, with a view so distorted it was useless, and couldn't adjust it very easily.
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

rmurphy195 wrote:I use a Cateye BM300g bar end mirror which is similar to the B&M one in other posts but with a short stem. It seems to have gone off the market. Nice big mirror, nice and steady and easy to adjust on the move, I would recommend that type.

I did try a Zefal Spy mirror but found it very small, with a view so distorted it was useless, and couldn't adjust it very easily.
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

I’ve used the BM star 80 for a few yrs now. It’s durable and has proven useful.
Only downside is when riding on the drops your arm is blocking the view. I suppose that’s the same for all bar end mirrors is it?

Recently bought 2 mirrors from China EBay! £1 each delivered...what can you expect :) Total rubbish :lol:
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Spot on.
I have one on both bikes, and if I had a third bike, I'd buy another.
Mick F. Cornwall
HeroDennn

Post by HeroDennn »

Grandad wrote:https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bike-Mirror-triple-adjustment-bar-end-Urban-and-Commute-bicycle-ZEFAL-CYCLOP/380991566978?hash=item/outdoorhttps://item58b4ddf482:g:bOMAAOxyYSdTC45Q

Zefal Cyclop. I've got one on each of my bikes, drop and straight bars. Wouldn't be without them so I keep a spare as well.

Good point! am using Zefal Dooback mirror, buy online from SJS Cycles. I have to mod it with a screw to prevent the mirror from falling back when on the move.

Or you can try Rodalink, they now selling mirror that sticks out at $30. You have to clamp it with a rubber tube to prevent slippage.

Get yourself a mirror on the right side. Cycling is also about knowing the situation on your rear also. And mirror have to stick out to be effective or your body or hand will block it.

Somehow all mirrors in the market need to be modded to prevent it from running off position or angle. Unless you are cycling on a velodrome, your bike vibrates when on the move as ground is not smooth.

Once modded, it should stay throughout the ride regardless of road conditions.
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

Mick F wrote:
Spot on.

+1, on all my bikes too.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

iandriver wrote:
Mick F wrote:
Spot on.

+1, on all my bikes too.

+1 from me, too. The very best of all was the original Mirrycycle with non aero levers, but the B&M one is the best of the modern ones I've tried. I only have to move my arm a fraction and it has become completely automatic.