Drop bar mirror.

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
User avatar
cycleruk
Posts: 5204
Joined: 17 Jan 2009, 9:30pm
Location: Lancashire

Re: Drop bar mirror.

Postby cycleruk » 30 May 2018, 11:10am

LollyKat wrote:
iandriver wrote:
Mick F wrote:Spot on.
I have one on both bikes, and if I had a third bike, I'd buy another.


+1, on all my bikes too.

+1 from me, too. The very best of all was the original Mirrycycle with non aero levers, but the B&M one is the best of the modern ones I've tried. I only have to move my arm a fraction and it has become completely automatic.



Thanks all for the suggestions.
Can the B&M one be seen when on the hoods although I suppose all mirrors on the drops will be the same.

Does anyone recognise the one in this video at 1min' 40 ?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mrkfS_u-QM
Looks neat and sticking out like it does may make drivers more cautious. :roll:
There's no such thing as a tailwind.
It's either a headwind, or you're going well.

User avatar
Mick F
Spambuster
Posts: 46478
Joined: 7 Jan 2007, 11:24am
Location: Tamar Valley, Cornwall

Re: Drop bar mirror.

Postby Mick F » 30 May 2018, 11:19am

:D :D
That's the movie I'm in!

Can't remember the mirror particularly, but Simon and Trevor and me rode together for quite some miles - from the east side of Bodmin Moor to Okehampton.

I think it's a Zefal.
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/mirrors/?brand=zefal
Mick F. Cornwall

slowster
Posts: 943
Joined: 7 Jul 2017, 10:37am

Re: Drop bar mirror.

Postby slowster » 30 May 2018, 11:37am

cycleruk wrote:Can the B&M one be seen when on the hoods

The short answer is yes.

The long answer is that the swivel ball on the back of the mirror is off centre, and the ball mount socket is also off centre to the plug which goes into the handlebar. This means that by rotating the plug in the handlebar when installing the mirror, it is possible - in conjunction with swivelling it around on the ball mount - to vary somewhat the mirror's position.

In practice I think this means you should have no difficulty getting the mirror just where you want it for your usual riding position, but it's probably the case that in that position the mirror will be obscured by your arm in one or possibly more of the other positions on the bars, e.g. on the drops. However, I think it's then fairly trivial to move your elbow to be able to see the mirror again.

I have the ball mount in the uppermost position, with the mirror then approximately in the 3 o'clock position (and obviously angled for my view). That gives perfect vision on the hoods for me.

User avatar
Mick F
Spambuster
Posts: 46478
Joined: 7 Jan 2007, 11:24am
Location: Tamar Valley, Cornwall

Re: Drop bar mirror.

Postby Mick F » 30 May 2018, 1:30pm

^^^^^
Yes, exactly that.
Mick F. Cornwall

reohn2
Posts: 35930
Joined: 26 Jun 2009, 8:21pm

Re: Drop bar mirror.

Postby reohn2 » 30 May 2018, 2:24pm

I've been using a CatEye BM 300G for years never broken one yet and they're great(I know MickF doesn't like them)but I see they've been discontinued in the CatEye range and replaced with one that looks very similar to the Busch & Muller one:- https://www.cateye.com/intl/products/accessories/BM-45/
The beauty of the BM300G is/was that it folds up when not in use or parked up and simply folds out when you get back on the bike,you also get used to folding it up in such away as not to alter it's setting.
Really like mine :D
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

LollyKat
Posts: 2886
Joined: 28 May 2011, 11:25pm
Location: Scotland

Re: Drop bar mirror.

Postby LollyKat » 30 May 2018, 4:08pm

According to that link the new Cateye is only 45mm diameter which seems a bit small - the B+M Cyclestar is 60mm and there is also an 80mm version.

User avatar
Mick F
Spambuster
Posts: 46478
Joined: 7 Jan 2007, 11:24am
Location: Tamar Valley, Cornwall

Re: Drop bar mirror.

Postby Mick F » 30 May 2018, 4:44pm

reohn2 wrote:I've been using a CatEye BM 300G for years never broken one yet and they're great(I know MickF doesn't like them)but I see they've been discontinued in the CatEye range and replaced with one that looks very similar to the Busch & Muller one:- https://www.cateye.com/intl/products/accessories/BM-45/
The beauty of the BM300G is/was that it folds up when not in use or parked up and simply folds out when you get back on the bike,you also get used to folding it up in such away as not to alter it's setting.
Really like mine :D
Hi R2! :D

Mine was fine and a good mirror and like you say, it was foldable and convenient ................... but .............. no matter what I did or fiddled and fettled with, the mirror moved when riding. The knuckle universal join thingy wasn't tight, so whatever position I set it in, it would move by wind power alone.
Mick F. Cornwall

User avatar
pedalsheep
Posts: 1028
Joined: 11 Aug 2009, 7:57pm

Re: Drop bar mirror.

Postby pedalsheep » 30 May 2018, 6:00pm

Does anyone use the Bike Eye mirror? I bought one a while back but never got round to fitting it and it sounds like I might be better forgetting about it altogether and getting the B&M star as it's getting such good reviews!
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'
Frank J Urry, Salute to Cycling, 1956.

steve browne
Posts: 105
Joined: 8 Oct 2009, 12:30pm

Re: Drop bar mirror.

Postby steve browne » 30 May 2018, 6:07pm

I use one of the old style Mirrycle mirrors on a more modern brake lever. Drilled a hole, counterbored it to seat the mirror support and held it all together with a stainless steel bolt. Rock solid.

P1010526.jpg

User avatar
freiston
Posts: 674
Joined: 6 Oct 2013, 10:20am
Location: Coventry

Re: Drop bar mirror.

Postby freiston » 30 May 2018, 6:24pm

That's interesting (especially for a bar-end shifter user). Cheers :)
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)

chris_suffolk
Posts: 390
Joined: 18 Oct 2012, 10:01pm

Re: Drop bar mirror.

Postby chris_suffolk » 30 May 2018, 7:04pm

Another vote for the B&M - probably the best accessory I have bought for my bike, and really notice it's not there if I use a bike without one.

reohn2
Posts: 35930
Joined: 26 Jun 2009, 8:21pm

Re: Drop bar mirror.

Postby reohn2 » 30 May 2018, 7:09pm

Mick F wrote:
reohn2 wrote:I've been using a CatEye BM 300G for years never broken one yet and they're great(I know MickF doesn't like them)but I see they've been discontinued in the CatEye range and replaced with one that looks very similar to the Busch & Muller one:- https://www.cateye.com/intl/products/accessories/BM-45/
The beauty of the BM300G is/was that it folds up when not in use or parked up and simply folds out when you get back on the bike,you also get used to folding it up in such away as not to alter it's setting.
Really like mine :D
Hi R2! :D

Mine was fine and a good mirror and like you say, it was foldable and convenient ................... but .............. no matter what I did or fiddled and fettled with, the mirror moved when riding. The knuckle universal join thingy wasn't tight, so whatever position I set it in, it would move by wind power alone.

Never had that problem and I've had five in service at any one time :?
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

reohn2
Posts: 35930
Joined: 26 Jun 2009, 8:21pm

Re: Drop bar mirror.

Postby reohn2 » 30 May 2018, 7:11pm

LollyKat wrote:According to that link the new Cateye is only 45mm diameter which seems a bit small - the B+M Cyclestar is 60mm and there is also an 80mm version.

Sorry,I didn't check the details :oops:
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

hercule
Posts: 965
Joined: 5 Feb 2011, 5:18pm

Re: Drop bar mirror.

Postby hercule » 30 May 2018, 7:22pm

I use Mirrycle mirrors on my recumbent trike and they work very well. But since changing the handlebar style on my recumbent bike they have proved a bit difficult to fit and I tried these instead:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07 ... UTF8&psc=1

Although a bit heavier than usual bike mirrors, they aren’t that much weightier and give a very good clear image. They detach from the bar end plug and can be clamped directly to the bar... I was thinking of getting another pair to fit the bar end lever bodies on my drop bar bikes. The only criticism I’d have is that they are a bit of a fiddle to position.

User avatar
hujev
Posts: 122
Joined: 19 Jun 2015, 7:45pm
Location: Lake Superior, North America
Contact:

Re: Drop bar mirror.

Postby hujev » 30 May 2018, 8:23pm

Another 'vote' for the Mirrycle - I like brake levers with the cables from the tops and use that version mostly, but the bar-end version is even sturdier and less hassle to install. Of course it precludes use of bar-end shifters.

The one variant I can't find a cure for is my butterfly bars... no 'drop bar' levers, and the bar ends point in! I tried the ortlieb one but the 'stalk' is so flimsy it shakes the mirror too much to get good visibility...