Page 3 of 3

Re: Drop bar mirror.

Posted: 30 May 2018, 9:40pm
by LollyKat
hujev wrote:Another 'vote' for the Mirrycle...the bar-end version is even sturdier and less hassle to install. Of course it precludes use of bar-end shifters.

Is that the one sold for flat bars? It works all right with drops?

Re: Drop bar mirror.

Posted: 30 May 2018, 11:18pm
by hujev
Yes, this one:
https://www.mirrycle.com/product/mountain-mirrycle-mirror/
It comes with two end wedge bits to account for bars of different diameter - fits fine on 'normal' bars I've used it on.

Here's a photo of one on my Longstaff trike (I left the second 'arm' se4gment off on this one):
Image
( http://rjl.us/velo/longstaffpix2.htm#lb22 )

I also just installed one on a recent ~ frankenbike (89 Trek 420) with rather narrow not flat bars (bars as bought - good for zippy steering I guess):
Image

I'm tempted but won't add pix of the other version on various bikes...

Re: Drop bar mirror.

Posted: 31 May 2018, 12:04am
by horizon
We have these discussions about mirrors quite regularly and I always say I'm very happy with this one:

Mrror.jpg
Mrror.jpg (9.78 KiB) Viewed 301 times


but I get the impression that others don't like it. Any reasons why? BTW I do have bar end shifters.

Re: Drop bar mirror.

Posted: 31 May 2018, 9:09am
by cycleruk
hujev wrote:Yes, this one:
https://www.mirrycle.com/product/mountain-mirrycle-mirror/
It comes with two end wedge bits to account for bars of different diameter - fits fine on 'normal' bars I've used it on.

Here's a photo of one on my Longstaff trike (I left the second 'arm' se4gment off on this one):
Image
( http://rjl.us/velo/longstaffpix2.htm#lb22 )

I also just installed one on a recent ~ frankenbike (89 Trek 420) with rather narrow not flat bars (bars as bought - good for zippy steering I guess):
Image
I'm tempted but won't add pix of the other version on various bikes...

That mirror looks fine.
P.S.1 - Interesting brake set up on the Longstaff ?
P.S.2 - Those bikes are too clean. :wink:

Re: Drop bar mirror.

Posted: 31 May 2018, 10:28am
by reohn2
The only thing that concerns me about most mirrors is if they'll break should the bike fall over on them,my first mirror was a Zefal one which was made of brittle plastic and just broke if I looked at it wrongly.
The CatEye one I've been using passes that test,in fact quite a few time TBH it just folds up on impact and is made of a bendy polythene type plastic.
Do the other mirrors on the thread pass this test(genuine question).

CyclerUK
I have a couple of spare CatEye ones you can have one if you like PM me if you're interested.

Re: Drop bar mirror.

Posted: 31 May 2018, 10:50am
by iandriver
reohn2 wrote:The only thing that concerns me about most mirrors is if they'll break should the bike fall over on them,my first mirror was a Zefal one which was made of brittle plastic and just broke if I looked at it wrongly.
The CatEye one I've been using passes that test,in fact quite a few time TBH it just folds up on impact and is made of a bendy polythene type plastic.
Do the other mirrors on the thread pass this test(genuine question).

CyclerUK
I have a couple of spare CatEye ones you can have one if you like PM me if you're interested.


The B&M one is on a ball and socket fitting. The mirror just pops off and you pop it back on again. I've done it several times.

Re: Drop bar mirror.

Posted: 31 May 2018, 10:51am
by horizon
reohn2 wrote:Do the other mirrors on the thread pass this test(genuine question).



No, not really. The mirror I pictured above broke two or three times (and replaced) until I learnt not to let the bike fall over when loaded. I have one now that is taped up as well but no breakages for years. The good thing is that it velcroes off in seconds which means that it isn't vulnerable when the bike is put away. No-one would use a mirror by choice (faff and clutter) but some of us wouldn't cycle without one. I am not claiming mine to be the best but it mght be the best if you have bar end shifters.

Re: Drop bar mirror.

Posted: 31 May 2018, 10:55am
by reohn2
horizon wrote:
reohn2 wrote:Do the other mirrors on the thread pass this test(genuine question).



No, not really. The mirror I pictured above broke two or three times (and replaced) until I learnt not to let the bike fall over when loaded. I have one now that is taped up as well but no breakages for years. The good thing is that it velcroes off in seconds which means that it isn't vulnerable when the bike is put away. No-one would use a mirror by choice (faff and clutter) but some of us wouldn't cycle without one. I am not claiming mine to be the best but it mght be the best if you have bar end shifters.

It was your photo that prompted my post,TBH from a personal POV I couldn't Live with anythinwrapped around the the hood(s),though you have a point about the bar end gearlevers.

Re: Drop bar mirror.

Posted: 31 May 2018, 11:03am
by Mick F
My bikes fall over from time to time. :oops:
The mirrors never bothered much other than going off aim.
Mercian's is quite well scratched on the plastic outer edge.


Question:
Why are mirrors always black?

Re: Drop bar mirror.

Posted: 31 May 2018, 11:23am
by reohn2
Mick F wrote:My bikes fall over from time to time. :oops:
The mirrors never bothered much other than going off aim.
Mercian's is quite well scratched on the plastic outer edge.


Question:
Why are mirrors always black?

Cheapest colour for plastic?
Who'd buy a dayglow yellow one?

Re: Drop bar mirror.

Posted: 31 May 2018, 3:59pm
by hujev
Of course a tricycle can't fall over (unless you don't lean on a corner!), but on bikes I usually fold them in when parking, just in case.

Mirrycle sells replacement parts - arms, mirrors, all other bits - (they're us made, so easy enough to order here, maybe too much of a hassle in the UK). They're fairly well-made, but the mirrors are glass (which gives nice quality view) so sometimes break in a fall (that's happened a few times over the years - have been using them for 35 years!). I sort of consider them a 'consumable' item like chains (and everything else but frames) so keep a few on hand...

Bike and trike in picture above clean as had just gotten the trike and completely disassembled, cleaned, polished (I like to car-polish bikes!), etc., etc. before riding & photo'ing, and the Trek not as much but also had just been 'finally ridden' for first time (bought in 2013!).

Re: Drop bar mirror.

Posted: 31 May 2018, 4:31pm
by [XAP]Bob
reohn2 wrote:
Mick F wrote:My bikes fall over from time to time. :oops:
The mirrors never bothered much other than going off aim.
Mercian's is quite well scratched on the plastic outer edge.


Question:
Why are mirrors always black?

Cheapest colour for plastic?
Who'd buy a dayglow yellow one?


I use 3M diamond bright tape on the front of mine...
It fell off a post for a street sign.